Maksim

Fireplace Help (LP)

So getting ready for potential electricity outages from the storm.  We have a gas fireplace that was here since we moved in and previous owners never used it.  Still new.

What do I need to do to hook it up?

On the outside I have this...

fireplace.jpg

So besides the tank, what else do I need?

Thanks!

Is that black pipe on the outside? If so, galvanizing spray that and anything further outside (or buy galvanized pipe).

What does the connection on the inside look like? Guessing there is a regulator in there... so you’d probably just need a connection for the tank.

No natural gas around, right? If they are anything like stoves, you might have different inserts for LP and NG. Might be worth it to check and see it is setup for LP.

17 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Is that black pipe on the outside? If so, galvanizing spray that and anything further outside (or buy galvanized pipe).

What does the connection on the inside look like? Guessing there is a regulator in there... so you’d probably just need a connection for the tank.

No natural gas around, right? If they are anything like stoves, you might have different inserts for LP and NG. Might be worth it to check and see it is setup for LP.

The Black pipe? That is just a rake. :) 

the thing sticking out of the house goes straight into the built in fireplace on the inside of the wall. So just needs a connection to the tank I believe.... and a tank.

correct,  no natural gas around here. Everyone on oil, forced hot air or pellet.

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

The Black pipe? That is just a rake. :) 

the thing sticking out of the house goes straight into the built in fireplace on the inside of the wall. So just needs a connection to the tank I believe.... and a tank.

correct,  no natural gas around here. Everyone on oil, forced hot air or pellet.

Regulator , connection line, tank.

typically your propane supplier will drop the tank and do that connection. Usually you need to sign a yearly contract 

Hey Maks,

Hope you're doing good

That looks like 1/2" IPS(Thread) in the picture.

I would suggest removing the 1/2" galvanized coupling (make sure to hold back on the brass piece)

Install a 1/2" gas valve, then you need a tank adapter hose (usually comes with a regulator)

Make sure to use a thread sealant

Shane

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

That's the first thing to check. Make sure the fireplace has the right orifice for propane and not Nat. gas. My fireplace runs on both and has a change over valve depending on which gas.

1 hour ago, Bt Doctur said:

you sure thats for a gas fireplace and not a feed for an outdoor grill?

4 hours ago, Maksim said:

the thing sticking out of the house goes straight into the built in fireplace on the inside of the wall.

Yep, just be 100% sure that's a inlet pipe and not an outlet pipe.

4 hours ago, Brisco said:

That looks like 1/2" IPS(Thread) in the picture.

Might be 3/4", when comparing the size to the siding.

4 hours ago, Maksim said:

So just needs a connection to the tank I believe.... and a tank.

Put a ball valve or inline shut-off on that pipe coming out. Then you'll need the connection hose, pressure regulator and adaptor to attach to the tank.

Are there any specs on how much the fireplace uses? This will help determine how big of a tank to get. If it's just for emergency use, a standard 20 lb will get you going. If you're going to use it regularly, you should consider a bigger tank or a rental tank that gets refilled.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's the first thing to check. Make sure the fireplace has the right orifice for propane and not Nat. gas. My fireplace runs on both and has a change over valve depending on which gas.

Yep, just be 100% sure that's a inlet pipe and not an outlet pipe.

Might be 3/4", when comparing the size to the siding.

Put a ball valve or inline shut-off on that pipe coming out. Then you'll need the connection hose, pressure regulator and adaptor to attach to the tank.

Are there any specs on how much the fireplace uses? This will help determine how big of a tank to get. If it's just for emergency use, a standard 20 lb will get you going. If you're going to use it regularly, you should consider a bigger tank or a rental tank that gets refilled.

No clue.  We are not fireplace people and neither was the previous owner.  He thought it was a wood burning fireplace based on the gas log in it. lol.  

Really only brought it up as a backup in case power goes out as our heat is electric.  Would rather use the generator for other stuff, i.e. well pump, septic, electronics. 

Outlet pipe for? i.e. gas grill?  Our house does not have any gas inlets.... nor does anyone else in the development.  I know, hard to believe but legit no natural gas. =)

Everyone here is either electric or oil.  A few are adding pellet burning systems.  Overall, cost of energy here, at least electric is about 40% lower than what we paid in Jersey. 

8 minutes ago, Maksim said:

No clue.  We are not fireplace people and neither was the previous owner.  He thought it was a wood burning fireplace based on the gas log in it. lol.  

Really only brought it up as a backup in case power goes out as our heat is electric.  Would rather use the generator for other stuff, i.e. well pump, septic, electronics. 

Outlet pipe for? i.e. gas grill?  Our house does not have any gas inlets.... nor does anyone else in the development.  I know, hard to believe but legit no natural gas. =)

Everyone here is either electric or oil.  A few are adding pellet burning systems.  Overall, cost of energy here, at least electric is about 40% lower than what we paid in Jersey. 

If that sucker hasn't been fired up in a while it may not be so quick to flame.  Even if the gas company hooks up your outside, the parts on the inside may need serious looking at.  Corrosion, even spider webs in orifices.  Not too much unlike an old gas grill left out for years.  Have someone there in the know.  

2 minutes ago, MB24 said:

If you don’t know anything about the fireplace or how to hook it up call a professional. asking for advice here is like asking for medical advice about the pain in your stomach. 

He has a pain in his stomach?  

9 minutes ago, MB24 said:

If you don’t know anything about the fireplace or how to hook it up call a professional. asking for advice here is like asking for medical advice about the pain in your stomach. 

Hah, Thanks.  You have been here since 2012... by now you should know we have plenty of members here who are professional and in that same line of work, including two here who are precisely in that business.

Asking people here for help is a very good idea and generally better than your average "professional."

There are very active members here who are plumbers, electricians, and general contractors.... on top of the endless amounts of engineers.  

7 minutes ago, BobA said:

If that sucker hasn't been fired up in a while it may not be so quick to flame.  Even if the gas company hooks up your outside, the parts on the inside may need serious looking at.  Corrosion, even spider webs in orifices.  Not too much unlike an old gas grill left out for years.  Have someone there in the know.  

He has a pain in his stomach?  

Absolutely.  Will have to clean it out but it was inspected before and seemed fine.  Just wanted a backup plan just in case.  

But... the house is only about 10 years old... so was not messed with over the years. 

7 minutes ago, MB24 said:

Wait, are you saying we don't know how to do brain surgery here? Come on, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once.

6 minutes ago, BobA said:

If that sucker hasn't been fired up in a while it may not be so quick to flame.  Even if the gas company hooks up your outside, the parts on the inside may need serious looking at.  

This could be true. Based on what he described, it sounds like all it needs is a shut off valve, a hose, a regulator, tank connection and tank. Those parts are Home Depot stock items that are normally used on a grill. The question is, does he feel confident enough to hook it up himself?

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Will have to clean it out but it was inspected before and seemed fine. 

Any idea what the BTU rating is on it?

Just now, Sniper said:

Wait, are you saying we don't know how to do brain surgery here? Come on, I stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once.

This could be true. Based on what he described, it sounds like all it needs is a shut off valve, a hose, a regulator, tank connection and tank. Those parts are Home Depot stock items that are normally used on a grill. The question is, does he feel confident enough to hook it up himself?

Any idea what the BTU rating is on it?

Yes, absolutely feel comfortable hooking it up.

Only part (of home ownership) I am not comfortable with is  electrical work and HVAC... but this is plug and play.  

Was primarily wondering about if I need any other regulators or safety shut offs in between.

If I can plug in a propane tank to my grill and hook it up to my wifi... I am comfy with this. ... besides, when the zombies come I need to be able to take care of the basics. 

15 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Was primarily wondering about if I need any other regulators or safety shut offs in between.

It sounds like all you need is a grill replacement hose and regulator, along with the correct sized threaded adaptors to connect it to that pipe. With this type of regulator below, worst case scenario is you don't get enough gas flow, and will have a low flame. But most fireplaces are similar in operation as grills.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsman-5-ft-LP-Hose-and-Regulator-Kit-with-5-8-in-Female-Outlet-Thread-MIP-LPHK5/203485675

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Make sure the fireplace has the right orifice for propane and not Nat. gas.

This.  See above.

Proper orifice for Propane, propane rated ball valve, thread sealant that says propane on the container and tie it into the tank.

You can adapt that out to a 3/8 soft copper connection using a ball valve that is NPT to compression as well.  It really boils down to what is available at your local hardware store.   The reason I say hardware store is you can usually ask a guy and he will fetch all the bits you need.    A 20lb "grill" tank will last quite a while but you'll want to get at a 50 gallon tank if you intend to use it frequently.

35 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Yes, absolutely feel comfortable hooking it up.

Only part (of home ownership) I am not comfortable with is  electrical work and HVAC... but this is plug and play.  

If I can plug in a propane tank to my grill and hook it up to my wifi... I am comfy with this. ... besides, when the zombies come I need to be able to take care of the basics. 

So no one has mentioned that before you hook it all up the gas piping needs to be pressure/ leak tested to insure you dont have any leaks. You might be comfortable with the piping your installing but do you know for a fact that the existing piping has been tested and is leak free?

Gas piping is part of HVAC I used to run gas pipe all the time when I was doing HVAC. You mentioned your not comfortable with HVAC. Do you know the difference between black pipe couplings and thread protectors? You should have seen some of the super dangerous homeowner installs I've corrected.  If not you could be playing with fire literally. 

Worst case scenario your house blows up and or burns down. Food for thought. 

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

So no one has mentioned that before you hook it all up the gas piping needs to be pressure/ leak tested to insure you dont have any leaks. You might be comfortable with the piping your installing but do you know for a fact that the existing piping has been tested and is leak free?

That's a good point, we're all assuming the existing pipe was installed and sealed correctly.

If it was me, I would run new piping all the way to the fireplace myself, just so I know it was sealed correctly. We have no idea what's been done inside, including the connection to the fireplace. All we can see is the stub coming out of the outside wall.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's a good point, we're all assuming the existing pipe was installed and sealed correctly.

If it was me, I would run new piping all the way to the fireplace myself, just so I know it was sealed correctly. We have no idea what's been done inside, including the connection to the fireplace. All we can see is the stub coming out of the outside wall.

A simple pressure test and soap bubbles on each fitting would confirm that its leaking or not. But yeah no gasspiping should ever be used without a pressure test performed. I'm very good at running gas pipe but every once and a while I find a leak. Once I even had a 90° with a leak because it was a bad casting. So even if your 100% sure with your joints there could be an issue with a fitting itself. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Gas piping is part of HVAC I used to run gas pipe all the time when I was doing HVAC. You mentioned your not comfortable with HVAC. Do you know the difference between black pipe couplings and thread protectors? You should have seen some of the super dangerous homeowner installs I've corrected.  If not you could be playing with fire literally. 

Worst case scenario your house blows up and or burns down. Food for thought. 

Thanks.

The thing is new and never been used.  Of course completely understand there may be leaks.

By HVAC I meant tearing apart the condenser and figuring out what failed...  can I figure it out?  I am sure but at that point I would get someone who deals with it on a regular basis.  Same thing for hard wiring a generator into a manual switch and plugging into an existing panel.

It really is about plugging in a tank.

Can we pressure test the system?  Sure... just like I suppose we should be chamber checking every piece of ammunition that we reload or even buy new... would I rather a gun blow up in my face? 

As soon as I am done with the generator will take a look at the fireplace but... there is no long gas lines, that stub literally goes a foot into the fireplace on the outside wall.  Inside, the vent pipe still has Styrofoam in it. 

If we take everything to the safest level, we would not be shooting guns or driving outside. =)  Yes there is risk with everything and I am comfortable with essentially using the fireplace.  Not installing it or running gas lines, etc. 

Believe me,  I get and value professionals and everything is a balance between time and willingness to pay... but I am not going to spend time or waste someone's time essentially coming out to change batteries in a remote. =)  

10 minutes ago, Sniper said:

All the way is about a foot. 

12 minutes ago, fishnut said:

A simple pressure test and soap bubbles on each fitting would confirm that its leaking or not. But yeah no gasspiping should ever be used without a pressure test performed.

True, and it sounds like in this case, it would be easy to do with soapy water. After all, we're talking about 5 psi of pressure. It's not a compressed air line.

13 minutes ago, Maksim said:

All the way is about a foot. 

Good... the flames shouldn't be too big when it blows. :mosking: (sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

What's it have for an igniter? Battery/spark ignition? How about the gas control, manual valve?

Does it have a 110 volt blower fan?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

True, and it sounds like in this case, it would be easy to do with soapy water. After all, we're talking about 5 psi of pressure. It's not a compressed air line.

Good... the flames shouldn't be too big when it blows. :mosking: (sorry, I couldn't help myself.)

What's it have for an igniter? Battery/spark ignition? How about the gas control, manual valve?

Does it have a 110 volt blower fan?

IIRC, battery/spark.  The entire bottom panel is still sealed up with tape. lol  Have not opened it to check it out.