PK90

Glock 48. The new NJ G19.

Everybody used to say that the Glock 19 was the ultimate NJ firearm. Fifteen rounds and a grip that fit most people's hands. Since NJ now has a 10 round mag limit, it seems to be that the G48 is the better choice than the G19G5. Ten rounds. Thinner. Front slide serrations. Longer beaver tail. Three ounces lighter. What say you?

G19_gen5.png

G48x739x4901219.png

Humn, wow, they are close.

Great to see them side by side.

I wonder how much thinner the grip is and at the same time, it is not like 10 round mags for the G19 are tough to find?

Front serrations? Eh... never use them, only use the rear.

The big thing is, the magazine supply and prices.

For most people yes, they will not buy extra mags, but the appeal of Glocks is the direct cheap mags.  As long as you are right handed, you can shoot any of the 5 generation of mags and they are dirt cheap.  Furthermore, if you go out of state like many do, you are not limited to just 10 and can always make the Glock "standard capacity", or even use Glock 17 17 rounders, the 33 round mags, or even the Glock mag drums.

Also... the lack of front rail.  

I think it is going to sell very well. I didn’t like the G43. I thought my Kahr shot better.

But this? This has my interest - at least when it comes in something other than silver. It fills what I thought was an overlooked vacancy in the sizes of the Glock lineup. 

As for the rail - I like lights on carry guns, but the frame is a little too thin I think for the usual suspects - TLR-1, APC, X300U,XC-1.

Streamlight or Crimson Trace will come out with a trigger guard mounted light or laser or combo - something like the Streamlight TLR-6 - that will solve the problem. Then it’s just a matter of holsters.

The only real difference in size it's 1/4" thinner and has 1/10" less trigger reach.  It's not that much smaller than the 19.

I agree with @Maksim on most points but think it will sell well as @High Exposure says.

Some people are always looking for the smallest gun possible.  When they came out with the 26 guys at work bought a lot of them.  Borderline shooters found they couldn't shoot them as well as the 19.  Instead of trying to learn how to shoot the 26 they went back to the 19. There were a lot of 26s for sale then. That's how I got my first.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I think it is going to sell very well. I didn’t like the G43. I thought my Kahr shot better.

But this? This has my interest - at least when it comes in something other than silver. It fills what I thought was an overlooked vacancy in the sizes of the Glock lineup. 

As for the rail - I like lights on carry guns, but the frame is a little too thin I think for the usual suspects - TLR-1, APC, X300U,XC-1.

Streamlight or Crimson Trace will come out with a trigger guard mounted light or laser or combo - something like the Streamlight TLR-6 - that will solve the problem. Then it’s just a matter of holsters.

Holsters are already out, Crossbreed and Galco already have them.  I am sure others do too.

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

The only real difference in size it's 1/4" thinner and has 1/10" less trigger reach.  It's not that much smaller than the 19.

I agree with @Maksim on most points but think it will sell well as @High Exposure says.

Some people are always looking for the smallest gun possible.  When they came out with the 26 guys at work bought a lot of them.  Borderline shooters found they couldn't shoot them as well as the 19.  Instead of trying to learn how to shoot the 26 they went back to the 19. There were a lot of 26s for sale then. That's how I got my first.

Oh, no doubt it will sell well and I would likely buy one myself, I don't see the point of a light for a carry type gun.  The Glock fanboys and girls are going to go nuts for them.

Having said that, for JERSEY folks, I don't think there is enough benefit to the G48 or G43X versus a G19.  

From the ecosystem perspective it just doesn't make sense to go 48 vs 19, especially if you can go 19 anyway.

BUT... this is why I suspect Glock has chosen to make it two tone... to provided some points of difference because you sure as hell know, if they were both the same finish, folks would not be able to tell them apart, especially the new shooters.

To me the biggest thing is the mag and accessory situation... and call me silly but I like the finger grooves... and the front serrations are pointless from the "safe shooting" perspective as using them, you are either cover the ejection port with your palm or have your palm exposed to the barrel... just stupid stupid stupid.

From a weight saving perspective... yes... but as actual "serrations" for gripping the slide... warning signs... I don't think in 10 years of shooting or USPSA match shooting I have yet to use front serrations. 

• Like 1

Just now, High Exposure said:

I was referring to golsters for the gun/light combo.

That’s alaways the hardest part for new guns with unique methods to attach WMLs.

ah true... but I really do think I saw something in my email box for 48 and 43x with lights...  Will have to dig up.

On 1/19/2019 at 4:40 PM, Maksim said:

Having said that, for JERSEY folks, I don't think there is enough benefit to the G48 or G43X versus a G19.  

From the ecosystem perspective it just doesn't make sense to go 48 vs 19, especially if you can go 19 anyway.

BUT... this is why I suspect Glock has chosen to make it two tone... to provided some points of difference because you sure as hell know, if they were both the same finish, folks would not be able to tell them apart, especially the new shooters.

To me the biggest thing is the mag and accessory situation... and call me silly but I like the finger grooves... and the front serrations are pointless from the "safe shooting" perspective as using them, you are either cover the ejection port with your palm or have your palm exposed to the barrel... just stupid stupid stupid.

From a weight saving perspective... yes... but as actual "serrations" for gripping the slide... warning signs... I don't think in 10 years of shooting or USPSA match shooting I have yet to use front serrations. 

I see a benefit as well over the G19 - In my opinion, the Glock factory 10 rounds mags are not reliable enough for serious use. This provides a gun designed from the ground up to work with 10 rounders. 

While the lack of front serrations isn’t a deal breaker, I do greatly prefer them. I wish all of my Glocks had them. I like how they give me more control when manipulating the slide for things like press checks and working through some malfunction techniques. I think they are mandatory for any pistol with a RDS milled into the slide. I was very pleased with the G45 for this reason, as I was looking at a G19X but wanted front serrations.

And no, you shouldn’t cover the ejection port or put your hand in front of the muzzle with front serrations. If you find yourself doing either, you are doing it wrong.

• Like 2

Glocks are like iPhones.  No significant changes from 1 model to the next.  This should be a model 19 version _____.  A lot of the changes from one model to the next are minor.   I'm not knocking the brand at all. I own a couple model 19s and carried a model 22 when I was a cop and was in a shooting while on duty with it.  I'm here and the suspect is not.  But I don't see enough new innovation in this new model to make me want one.  If anything, the lack of the front rail is disappointing.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I see a benefit as well over the G19 - In my opinion, the Glock factory 10 rounds mags are not reliable enough for serious use. This provides a gun designed from the ground up to work with 10 rounders. 

While the lack of front serrations isn’t a deal breaker, I do greatly prefer them. I wish all of my Glocks has them. I like how they give me more control when manipulating the slide for things like press checks and working through some malfunction techniques. I think they are mandatory for any pistol with a RDS milled into the slide. I was very pleased with the G45 for this reason, as I was looking at a G19X but wanted front serrations.

And no, you shouldn’t cover the ejection port or put your hand in front of the muzzle with front serrations. If you find yourself doing either, you are doing it wrong.

will have to play with it to see, but on a smaller gun that we are talking about here, guys with big paws using front serations would generally be from the topand assuming it would cover it in some degree, or get your hands pretty close to the barrel.

With RDS, why do you say it is necessary?  I would think with RDS it is even easier... and I often just rack the slide with the tall rear sights or the RDS unit. yes.  

Playing with a full gov size 1911, front serations my palm gets really close to the barrel, only way it does now is from  bottom of the gun but still seems unnatural.

I would also think, since you are racking it back, would be easier from the back of the gun rather than the front serrations.

Perhaps I am taking it over the top/safety wise, but especially with 40 S&W chambered 1911s which are much more prone to ejector kabooms.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/23313-ejecting-live-rounds-from-1911/

Can I dig that front serration into an edge and rack the slide? Good to know in case I take a round though a hand and need to reload. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have.

No TAC rail? WTF Glock? I need a light on the front. 

34 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Can I dig that front serration into an edge and rack the slide? Good to know in case I take a round though a hand and need to reload. Rather have it and not need it than need it and not have.

No TAC rail? WTF Glock? I need a light on the front. 

Buy a glock 19. =P 

In the past two weeks a NJ-compliant 10-round version for the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact is being released.   That is more of a G19 replacement and will sell like hotcakes :).  Not only that, but if Xgrips or someone makes a sleeve for the grip, you will be able to use the Compact magazines with the elder 9C.  Lots of options, a 2.0 Compact with a 4" barrel, one with a 3.6" barrel, the 9C, 3.5 or 3.6, and lots of goodness.  If it was just as easy to work on as a Glock (and its not too bad) then there really isn't a choice.  Goodbye G19 and G Whatever!  I would like to play with a Glock 48, though. 

18 hours ago, Underdog said:

In the past two weeks a NJ-compliant 10-round version for the S&W M&P 2.0 Compact is being released.   That is more of a G19 replacement and will sell like hotcakes :).  Not only that, but if Xgrips or someone makes a sleeve for the grip, you will be able to use the Compact magazines with the elder 9C.  Lots of options, a 2.0 Compact with a 4" barrel, one with a 3.6" barrel, the 9C, 3.5 or 3.6, and lots of goodness.  If it was just as easy to work on as a Glock (and its not too bad) then there really isn't a choice.  Goodbye G19 and G Whatever!  I would like to play with a Glock 48, though. 

I have a G48 waiting for me at my FFL, should have permits soon.

when did they release the m2.0 compact with 10 rounders?  I want to buy some mags for it, been waiting for factory 10 rounders forever. 

It is in the works per a representative I spoke with at S&W.  The 10 round mags won't be seen for a while as she told me, just the two that come with each gun.  She didn't give me the model number.  

SMITH AND WESSON M&P9 COMPACT 9MM 10RD MAG #3011499
MSRP: $41

SMITH AND WESSON M&P9 M2.0 COMPACT 9MM 10+1 4" FS #12464
MSRP: $569

SMITH AND WESSON M&P9 M2.0 COMPACT 9MM 10+1 4" MANUAL THUMB SAFETY #12465
MSRP: $569

3 hours ago, Screwball said:

So is the Glock 30...

And then you get that Glock 19 feel, just in .45.

For a light, does the TLR-6 for the 43 work on the 48?

A few years ago I was going to trade my G30 Gen 4 in. I couldn't find a need for it after buying a Springfield Mod 2 .45 ACP Glad I didn't.  Governor Murphy created a reason for me to keep it. 

Here you go.

Ok so to touch up more on this. Shooting them, I was less impressed with the 48.  Recoil felt a bit harsh for what you would expect, especially since it is almost Glock 19 size. It is perhaps the Ammo they were using, not sure what it was. 

The 43x felt quite a bit better as the gun is smaller and cycled faster. 

And well you can still conceal carry it. 

The 48 is just way to close to a 19 with none of the benefits and quite a few costs. 

4E7CCC64-C23A-4A09-93CF-EB0CA757FE1F.jpeg

32445F4D-3C07-48D8-BBB9-31A598F77EAD.jpeg

Personally I disagree - I felt the 43x was shorter yes and the cycle time was pretty similar.  I got a better feel with the 48 in terms of accuracy.  43x had a snappier recoil and I felt it took longer for me to get it back on target.  May have to shoot more but I think a 48 is in the cards for me if the price is right.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Personally I disagree - I felt the 43x was shorter yes and the cycle time was pretty similar.  I got a better feel with the 48 in terms of accuracy.  43x had a snappier recoil and I felt it took longer for me to get it back on target.  May have to shoot more but I think a 48 is in the cards for me if the price is right.

Hehe, definitely need more time with both and will request samples from Glock. 

But here is the question, why bother with a 48 over a 19? 

• Agree 1