voyager9

History of the 2nd Amendment

Nice! It convinced me that I have a natural right to keep and bear arms and that that right can never be taken away.

Now tell me again why I can't bear arms here and how I can only keep arms that they say I can keep?:mad:

What good is a natural right if it can be infringed?

If anyone has read the Federalist Papers, Hamilton clearly explains the need for citizens to arm themselves the same firepower of the army or militia  and are to be able to protect ourselves and our neighbors from the armies of an unfair government. There is no question to why our founding fathers wanted us to own firearms.

16 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Nice! It convinced me that I have a natural right to keep and bear arms and that that right can never be taken away.

Now tell me again why I can't bear arms here and how I can only keep arms that they say I can keep?:mad:

What good is a natural right if it can be infringed?

The video is about what the 2A says and what it means. Not whether it’s adhered to. 

At a minimum it destroyed the “but it means Xxx” arguments the anti-gunners use and paints them into the “we are just ignoring it” corner. 

1 hour ago, rtquig said:

If anyone has read the Federalist Papers, Hamilton clearly explains the need for citizens to arm themselves the same firepower of the army or militia  and are to be able to protect ourselves and our neighbors from the armies of an unfair government. There is no question to why our founding fathers wanted us to own firearms.

The founders were understandably VERY worried about the dangers of a standing army and how dagerous it could be if used by a tyrannical government against its citizens.  Here's a quote from Federalist 29:

" If circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens. This appears to me the only substitute that can be devised for a standing army, and the best possible security against it, if it should exist. [Federalist 29] "

So we fast-forward to current times when that standing army DOES indeed exist (and has helped to secure our freedom), and we find ourselves at exactly that point where Hamilton wants the people to be well armed. 

He even goes on to recommend regular training so that you know how to use your guns!

Little more can reasonably be aimed at, with respect to the people at large, than to have them properly armed and equipped; and in order to see that this be not neglected, it will be necessary to assemble them once or twice in the course of a year. [Federalist 29]

I prefer a weekly trip to the range...