brucin

This is why there is a problem with illegal sales

These 2 guys conspire to sell over 200 firearms to prohibited persons or just circumventing already strict existing law and both get at least according to potential penalties a slap on the wrist.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/laraway-perkins-unlicensed-gun-dealing-washington-dc-invs/index.html

Man, the dude breaking all the gun laws got 18 months.  The drug dealer got 12 years.  This was after they linked several of these guns to homicides and other crimes. They both should've got more prison time than that. 

A more subtle fact that is just as interesting in the article is that the ATF launched the investigation because the guy legally purchased 300 firearms in a 2 year period.  Part of me wants to know why the number got that high before he was investigated, but then part of me is upset that the number of purchases is something that can trigger an investigation.     

41 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Man, the dude breaking all the gun laws got 18 months.  The drug dealer got 12 years.  This was after they linked several of these guns to homicides and other crimes. They both should've got more prison time than that. 

A more subtle fact that is just as interesting in the article is that the ATF launched the investigation because the guy legally purchased 300 firearms in a 2 year period.  Part of me wants to know why the number got that high before he was investigated, but then part of me is upset that the number of purchases is something that can trigger an investigation.     

never should have been investigated if bought legally.  That alone should have resulted in the case being shot down imho

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

never should have been investigated if bought legally.  That alone should have resulted in the case being shot down imho

I could see if the guns they recovered at crime scenes or in the hands of criminals committing crimes were all traced back to him and that was what led to the investigation, but the article said it was launched based on the number of purchases.  They should not be investigating people based simply because they are exercising their 2A rights.  

4 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

I could see if the guns they recovered at crime scenes or in the hands of criminals committing crimes were all traced back to him and that was what led to the investigation, but the article said it was launched based on the number of purchases.  They should not be investigating people based simply because they are exercising their 2A rights.  

yes agreed!