Howard

WiFI smart Switches

TP-Link HS-210 3-way Wifi Switches
============================
These are great switches, work on a WiFi app and work with Amazon Alexa and Google assistant.B&H Photo is offering a two pack for only $44.99 after applying an instant 25%-off coupon and there is no shipping charge and no tax outside NY. The link is below.

The only problem, is sometimes the link does not apply the coupon at the payment stage, if that happens just call them to place the order.

TP-Link says you need two in a 3-way circuit but that is not true if you install one in the first switch position on your circuit. I have several of these installed and highly recommend them.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1382083-REG/tp_link_hs210_kit_smart_wi_fi_light_switch.html

5 hours ago, Howard said:

TP-Link HS-210 3-way Wifi Switches

TP-Link says you need two in a 3-way circuit but that is not true if you install one in the first switch position on your circuit. I have several of these installed and highly recommend them

I have been looking at smart 3-ways and this was one of the contenders.  So if you only use one, the other switch remains manual?  The smart switch does not get confused if you change the state on the manual switch?  Or does it sense which line from the secondary is hot?

It works fine if you use just one PROVIDED you determine which switch is the first in the series and install the TP-Link in that location.  In case you don't know how to do that, this procedure will work.  Kill power at breaker and open up both existing switches.  Take the hot wire off both switches and separate it from other wires.  Make sure it is not touching other stuff and then turn power back on.  With a non-contact voltage tester see which wire is hot, only one will be - that is where you want the new switch.

Yes this will work in a four-way application (three switches), that is what I have in my kitchen.  I want to install one in an application where there are four switches and I expect it will work but have yet to do that.  Just ordered a few more today to do just that.

....also, try to use non-wifi zwave or zigbee devices that require a hub. Only the hub requires wifi. I have over 20 devices and cameras in my new house along with wifi smart tvs and other devices that work smoothly with Bluetooth. If you start using mainly wifi, you better have the bandwidth needed to make all your devices work smoothly without latency...

34 minutes ago, bhunted said:

....also, try to use non-wifi zwave or zigbee devices that require a hub. Only the hub requires wifi. I have over 20 devices and cameras in my new house along with wifi smart tvs and other devices that work smoothly with Bluetooth. If you start using mainly wifi, you better have the bandwidth needed to make all your devices work smoothly without latency...

If you use something like Alexa there is no need for a hub, and a hub is just another device to plug in which can be a point of failure.  I have almost 60 WiFi devices running in my 4,000+ SqFt home and have no issues with bandwidth or latency.  Bluetooth for most is a non-starter due to the limited range.  Alexa lets you do everything you might do with a hub without being tied down to one equipment vendor or spec.  I can use switches from many different vendors with different software and they all work seemlessly.  At night I can just say all lights off or inside lights off and they all respond.  I also use YouTubeTV to stream to five different TVs and have no issues.  I guess different things work for different situations, but I prefer to avoid hubs.  The only quasi hub I have is for my Blink XT camera system, and I consider that a weakness.

I have a lot more bandwidth now than I did in NJ... Some of NJs options and even here which ATT is still dsl with 6mbs download speeds are still behind the times. I'm at 250+ dl speeds and bandwidth is not even affected. My wifi speeds are blinding fast. Also, every wifi device offers more chances for invasion and hacking. I like the idea of just trying to keep limited wifi devices under control than try to monitor dozens of wifi devices. TETO though. Whatever works....

My point is, before the unknown person decides to dive into wifi devices and don't realize there could be probs, need to research first.

PS: When you going to turn in your NJ plates?  lol