Maksim

Shot Show 2019 Coverage

Hello from warm but really windy Las Vegas.

Industry/Media Day at the range just wrapped up and we are tired from the long day.  Weather was certainly not cooperative but we sure got our required amounts of lead, recoil and gunpowder.

I am sure @Krdshrk will have some really good videos and pictures up soon but from what I recall, here are my impressions.

Glock 43x and 48 are quite nice.  The grip is noticeably smaller.  I am sure these guns will sell A TON.  Interesting,  even with my smaller hands, I think I would prefer the Glock 19 over the 48.  The 48 seems to have more recoil than a 19 despite being only a bit smaller.

My preference in the 2 is the 43x.  The smaller slide made the gun noticeably quicker and I far prefer a faster cycling gun. 

Two tone is really cool.

Only issue I had with them is that it failed to lock back on empty slide.  I generally do ride the safety/slide release on 1911s and other guns but never had an issue with glocks before... but in this case, due to the smaller frame, my thumb apparently did ride that tiny slide release.

Other guns...

Walther Q5 SF Match and Regular...

I did not know ANYTHING about this gun before shooting it.  Overall, it is a fairly good gun.  Has a good amount of heft to it.  I do feel for most people, without the magwell, ie the Q5 SF will be too small a frame and thus a bit top heavy.  The magwell version, i.e. the match, does make it better.

When I found out the price though... I lost major interest.  $1600 or so street price and a street price of $1,200 or so?  GTFO....

I don't think it will be a serious gun and here is why.  First, in that production type gun, I would rather buy a CZ Custom and get a far nicer and more well balanced gun.  The Q5 SF trigger is okay, but for $1200 street, it will still need a trigger job and some other work.  Secondly, for regular gun people, $1,200 is too much because at that price, it is still not a 1911 and you can get plenty of semi custom guns in that price range.

The Mossberg.... quite honestly not impressed one bit.  Yes, it has a really novel system to clean, and you can easily clean the firing pin, but again... eh.Trigger was blah, and when it priced higher than a Shield and on par with Glock... why bother?  Shooting wise it felt like LCp/LC9.

Colt... DID NOT have the King Cobra at Media day so no comments there.

Plenty of really cool guns such as shooting a few suppressed 338 Lapua guns.  Tons of full auto.

Other interesting guns, really like the Ruger 1911 by Doug Koenig.  Shot it at steel at 100 yards and hit 6 out of 8 at an IPSC sized steel target.

The Ruger Precision Rifle in 300 Win Mag was also quite nice.  Really good value for the money.  Can't wait to try it or get it in 338 lapua.

Their American rifle in 6.5 RPC was very interesting, looking forward to learning more about the caliber.

Shot the Ruger 458 Socom AR15... not bad, especially suppressed but the recoil was stout, even with a suppressor.  One in our group did have multiple issues with the rifle... sand blowing.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Dozer said:

Thanks for the update,going to check out the 43X. Probably unlikely,but if you see anything new in 45 acp Non-1911 please report.

Nothing at Media day as far as I recall, mostly more compact and full sized 9mm and those Springfield 10mm. 

A sweet 1911 in 45 is the Doug Koenig 1911, was shooting and hitting steel with it at 100 yards, but iirc the price was around $2k. 

Today is the main show start, I have somewhat related executive team meetings with Ruger and Smith and Wesson, but Nick and others will likely havetime to explore the regular booths. 

58 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Already sold a 43X. I like it better than the 48. Still like the P365 better.

Also, sticking with my Q5 Classic over the SF.

Does Ruger have a PC Carbine in .45ACP?

Agree, I just can’t justify the price premium for the Q5 SF over the regular Q5. Their answer was that they can only make so many per day. 

Don’t get me wrong, it is nice, but it is more expensive than a stock Tanfoglio Stock 2 gun, and is not up to par with the CZ custom shop guns at the same time. 

Mid you can get it sub $1,000, and preferably like $850 or so, I would say the gun is competitively priced but not where it is at now. 

There was a newer company out there that also had a match type gun, in a mix between a CZ and a Sig, will get the name of for that $1k price point which was well worth it however.  Will get the name a bit later today, but Slovenian made guns.

Hey, Maks. I've never been to Shot Show. So, frankly, I don't know how it's organized. For instance, has the traditional focus been PURELY on the gun manufacturers in attendance unveiling new products? Or is it broader in scope?

I'm personally curious if there has been any talk (even just informal chatter) of the manufacturers doing (or contributing to) any pro-2A PR campaigns? Even if they've avoided that in the past, I think if they want to continue selling their products at a good pace in the U.S. in the long-term.... they better wake up, smell the coffee, and start pushing back against some of the grossly exaggerated misinformation being bandied about by the major gun control organizations.. as a business survival tactic if nothing else. Again, just curious if you've heard anything!

16 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Hey, Maks. I've never been to Shot Show. So, frankly, I don't know how it's organized. For instance, has the traditional focus been PURELY on the gun manufacturers in attendance unveiling new products? Or is it broader in scope?

I'm personally curious if there has been any talk (even just informal chatter) of the manufacturers doing (or contributing to) any pro-2A PR campaigns? Even if they've avoided that in the past, I think if they want to continue selling their products at a good pace in the U.S. in the long-term.... they better wake up, smell the coffee, and start pushing back against some of the grossly exaggerated misinformation being bandied about by the major gun control organizations.. as a business survival tactic if nothing else. Again, just curious if you've heard anything!

Great question and I will bring it up in my meetings today. 

Frankly though, what’s good for gun sales is not exactly what’s good for gun rights.  While smaller companies are all for supporting the 2A, the majority of larger manufacturers and distributors would likely be justvas happy if not more happy with a President Clinton.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

Great question and I will bring it up in my meetings today. 

Frankly though, what’s good for gun sales is not exactly what’s good for gun rights.  While smaller companies are all for supporting the 2A, the majority of larger manufacturers and distributors would likely be justvas happy if not more happy with a President Clinton. 

Yeah, I agree... but only to a degree. If the anti-gun crowd were to really get traction on some of the bans they're pushing... there's a "point of diminishing returns" for manufacturers at SOME point. The sheer number of proposed bills should worry them, unless they're asleep at the wheel IMO.

On 1/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, CageFighter said:

any new stuff @ FNH?   like a black 20S?   or sumthing. 

I will check for you

17 hours ago, sota said:

Go check out the new Hi Point.

@remixer I want one when it comes out. :D

Which new one?  I stopped by their booth.  They have 995s and 10mm carbines and the standard color wheel of crap lol.  No $100 bill ones - those are a distributor exclusive.

6 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

They were closing up but I saw some stuff about a Shockwave Semi auto 4+1.  Anything else you want me to check out tomorrow?

Supposedly, it is pretty affordable.

Still wish someone did it off an 11-87, and redid the spring setup like those other pistol grip only designs.

1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

They were closing up but I saw some stuff about a Shockwave Semi auto 4+1.  Anything else you want me to check out tomorrow?

Opinion of the quality of the BAT SEMI. Also, what receiver are they using. I heard that the Mossberg 590 buttstock or adapter is compatible. 

7 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I will check for you

Which new one?  I stopped by their booth.  They have 995s and 10mm carbines and the standard color wheel of crap lol.  No $100 bill ones - those are a distributor exclusive.

The new C9 that's not called the C9, but it's a tactical C9, basically. 

On 1/23/2019 at 7:39 PM, sota said:

The new C9 that's not called the C9, but it's a tactical C9, basically. 

Here you go.  10 round double-to-single stack mag (flush) and extended mags will be available. Grip safety to go along with the standard so no more handle rattle. Threaded barrel.  Still blowback.  Couldn’t get info on weight. 

9D58D3EE-23C1-48A8-9E16-3AE588393E6B.jpeg

63676442-5356-4624-9805-C176BD202F5C.jpeg

9BAF9211-97B8-48A2-8F58-F5F6CC9CA430.jpeg

2 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Here you go.  10 round double-to-single stack mag (flush) and extended mags will be available. Grip safety to go along with the standard so no more handle rattle. Threaded barrel.  Still blowback.  Couldn’t get info on weight. 

9D58D3EE-23C1-48A8-9E16-3AE588393E6B.jpeg

63676442-5356-4624-9805-C176BD202F5C.jpeg

9BAF9211-97B8-48A2-8F58-F5F6CC9CA430.jpeg

Heavy as fuck.  That's all that matters.

That'll be my first Hi-Point.