Golf battery

Sjsc conditions

I was there recently and every range was flooded from in front of the houses all the way to the targets, though the pads of the houses were mostly dry. With the wet winter, each range is like a bowl collecting water. If you wear some waterproof boots, you can persevere by walking along the berm. Where the target are, though, I was standing in 6-8" of freezing standing water. Not fun.

With the 7/10/15 range closed, you can shoot pistols in the 25. They have some target stands set up for shorter distances. 

Just there last week.  Still loads of standing water.  I have a theory why.  

On 2/1/2019 at 11:20 AM, SIGMan Freud said:

I was there recently and every range was flooded from in front of the houses all the way to the targets, though the pads of the houses were mostly dry. With the wet winter, each range is like a bowl collecting water. If you wear some waterproof boots, you can persevere by walking along the berm. Where the target are, though, I was standing in 6-8" of freezing standing water. Not fun.

With the 7/10/15 range closed, you can shoot pistols in the 25. They have some target stands set up for shorter distances. 

Yes.  But we pay dues.   Shouldnt this be figured out and taken care of.  ????!!!!

I went thurs, and shot on the 50 yard range. There was water from where the concrete ended all the way to the targets. You literally had to walk on a portion of the side berm or bring a kayak. This will be my 3rd year at sjsc. It would always get mushy at the bottom of the hill behind the shooting houses, but I dont remember the actual ranges getting this bad. It's so bad, it honestly surprises me that they dont bring a pump out and get at least some of the water out of there.

Yeah, I went back last Tuesday. For better or worse, the water had frozen from the previous cold snap, but that day was in the 50's, so each range had basically a floating glacier. Set up a steel spinner at 100 and first shot sent it sliding into the backstop. I've been a member for years, but don't recall it being this bad before either. 

With enough money, I"m sure it would be a solvable problem. Aside from increased dues, though, I'd be concerned about the county/state poking their noses into some construction of anything at the range. Who knows, they'd day there was lead in the catchment water and declare it an environmental hazard. Then we'd all be screwed. Maybe we just chalk it up to a wet winter and let nature take its course.

• Like 1

Went this morning and can confirm what Golf battery has already pointed out - lots of water! All of the ranges are usable. I would recommend some kind of water repellant footwear, and you may need to follow a trail along the side of whichever range you plan to use to set and retrieve targets. 

So who wants to take guesses at why this is happening.   I’ve been a member there for atleast five years now.  I have never seen it anywhere anywhere like this.  I think I’ve figured out why.  Anyone else out there want to give it a guess. 

8 hours ago, Golf battery said:

So who wants to take guesses at why this is happening.   I’ve been a member there for atleast five years now.  I have never seen it anywhere anywhere like this.  I think I’ve figured out why.  Anyone else out there want to give it a guess. 

I'll go out on a limb and guess: more rain than usual? ;)

I only say this because 2018 was the wettest year in NJ in over a hundred years and January was high on top of that. My back lawn has been underwater most of the fall and winter too.

Wet indeed.  The Pequannock police range is next to a retention basin--no way to drain water from that--and it has been under 6 feet of water for weeks on end.  Benches & tables submerged, target trailer half under water.    We don't know what kind of a mess we're going to find if it ever dries out enough to use.

Btw.  I was there friday.  They have a trash pump going in the retention pond feeding out of it.  I hear tomorrow they’re stocking the pistol range with carp and the 50 yd range with trout. New name.  South jersey rifle and rod club.  Sjrrc.  :yes:

On 2/14/2019 at 8:02 PM, Golf battery said:

Do they have retention basins?  I know drainage pipes need to be clean out when silt and debris accumulates.  If they have any sort of drains that help water move, maybe they are obstructed.

I was there today (Thursday), 54° and sunny after yesterday's snow (Climate Change! LOL). I was on the 100, which is still flooded near the targets. Better on the left than the right. Setting and retrieving targets was a challenge as there is probably 8 to 10" of standing, icy water. I was wearing boots that are water repellent, but they flooded. By the time I was done shooting, my pants were wet to just below the knees. I need a pair of rubber boots for my next outing for sure - it was not pleasant. 

There were a few guys on the 50 and 25, so I suspect those weren't too bad. The 300 looked dry near the targets, with a lake in the middle that you could walk around. The pics below show the 100 target backstop and the full length of the 300. 

1607208389_SJSC-1.thumb.jpg.69e89e7615ea53bacd0711d3a4755b14.jpg

279541570_SJSC-2.thumb.jpg.5235af384320dd373065bf084c736b36.jpg

I don't know much about range building, but I would assume the pad where the shooters' tables are and where the target house is placed should be level and maybe the high points. I wouldn't mind walking AROUND a pond to get to the targets, the way it seems to be on the 300. But the 100 and 50 seem to have their low points at the target houses. Not only does it completely suck to stand in icy water, you can't set up any ground based targets. My steel spinners would have been half submerged. I'm no landscaper or civil engineer, but I would think it wouldn't be THAT difficult to make the low point the center and not the far end.

I plan to go back next week - probably Wednesday. I'll be wearing some 18" rubber boots for sure. 

8 hours ago, SIGMan Freud said:

I'm no landscaper or civil engineer, but I would think it wouldn't be THAT difficult to make the low point the center and not the far end.

The problem is, no matter how good the grade is, it will eventually wash away with rain and erode with foot traffic.  Normally, you'd put gravel down to control erosion but, bullets and ricochets and all that.  Grass is no good either as it has to be maintained and watered and such, even the best high traffic grass will get killed dead from the foot traffic.

The only solution is regular maintenance of the grade, and most ranges don't have the equipment to do that.  It's more economical to listen to members grumble.

12 hours ago, OfcrFek said:

The 50 yard range, in my opinion, is the worse shape of them all. This was when I went on Thursday around noon. That's inches deep.

20190223_123445.jpg

That's some awful drainage there.  Not just talking about ground absorption, but lack of swails to drain away to a lower elevation.

2 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Ive been a member for 6 years?   Ive seen some wet spots that took a couple weeks to dry up before.   This has been atleast 3 months its been underwater.  

What are the fees?  Any guidance from the club?  I would be seriously annoyed that the range would not be usable for that long.

I don't think other ranges in the area are suffering the same issues, right?