Golf battery

Sjsc conditions

If I understand the layout correctly, theres a drainage basin behind the pistol range. Why not throw a hose up over/in between the berms and use a gas powered pump to launch the majority of the current water out of the ranges themselves, hopefully giving them a chance to dry out a bit?

When I went Thurs, the bottom of the hill in front of the range houses (where it does frequently get wet and messy) was significantly worse than normal. Someone had taken the target backers out of the ranges and placed them every few feet to step on. 

Well right behind the range is Blue Hole (see photo). Locals say the center depth is 90 feet, which seems unlikely, but still, the water table must be extremely high in that area normally, so there's probably little margin for error if SJSC has a drainage problem. The second photo (from the website) shows the drainage basin behind the 50 and 25 yd ranges.

I've just taken to wearing rubber hunting boots and it's workable. Only thing I'm unable to do is set up a steel target on the ground, but hanging is just fine. I wonder what they're telling new members at the Saturday orientations? If I can find Dan's or Fred's email address, I'll send them a note. When I go during the week, I never see a RSO. There are times when my car is the only one in the lot. Maybe during the winter, everyone is an RSO. There was a young couple trying to skip bullets off the water a few weeks ago, so the water for some is an attractive nuisance. 

I'm going to try again tomorrow or Thursday depending on the weather. 

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 8.07.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-26 at 7.51.14 AM.png

Conditions have improved, at least on the 100. Still substantial flooding on the right half of the target house, but I was able to set up a ground based steel spinner on the left, which I couldn't do last week. Still need muck boots though as the approaches to the shoot houses are deep mud. I was the only person there for a while, which is good - many of the target backers are missing. 

14 hours ago, Golf battery said:

It is.  But just a nuisance. If this keeps up.  Cant wait till mosquito season.   Loads of fun. 

I was shooting on the 25 last Thursday morning. 

Had the “mosquito” conversation with another shooter, was that you?

3 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

...I linger at the 300 usually.  

Yet you don't come out for any of our 100-200-300 yd "hit the center of the paper" matches!

I think IggyOrt is the only forum member to come to our rifle shoots.

Hopefully we will have a warm DRY Spring so that the ground dries out

First match is 4/14, the Military Rifle Match

I was there (the only one there until I packed up) from 10-12. 100 is better than before. Left side is drying, right side submerged. 50 still looks flooded but I didn’t use it. 

Just got my renewal notice in the mail. Will give it some thought before writing a check. 

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

Yet you don't come out for any of our 100-200-300 yd "hit the center of the paper" matches!

I think IggyOrt is the only forum member to come to our rifle shoots.

Hopefully we will have a warm DRY Spring so that the ground dries out

First match is 4/14, the Military Rifle Match

Working usually when matches are.  Open 7 days a week.  Its been a bad last 18 months for me to make matches. Last year i made only maybe 5.   Only three this winter.  Now im back to work.  I need to retire !!!

This has been an Act of G-d

Since joining SJSC in April 2006, I have only seen flooding to this extent once, in March 2010

The ground was fairly dry before that wet Spring, but we jst had a pretty wet Winter here.

So it takes time for Mother Nature to drink it back up.

And you know you shouldn't piss off Mother Nature, so sit back and wait or get a pair of muck boots and come out and shoot.

Temperature are up now so it's not bad now.

I invested in a good pair of boots and don’t really mind that much - I’m usually the only one there. Rarely another car in the lot. It’s never a problem getting a bench, so that’s a plus. No waiting to change flags. Maybe a few cars go to the back (LEOs at the active range?) but it’s usually deserted on weekdays.

Funny, I get emails all the time from all the other ranges I use. Does SJSC send anything out? I can’t recall ever seeing anything about range status or events.