My1stGlock

Is there any reason why we can't leave a for sale listing up after the item is sold?

i change my topics to "sold please delete" when item is sold, if sold here or elsewhere, i don't like having my posts still up. I prefer them gone and why waste space and bandwith.

personally i believe that there should be a way for ops to delete their posts if they no longer want them visible

13 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

People will necropost saying "Oh hey do you still have this?  I'll take it for $3.50" if the posts are not locked/managed.  

I don't mind the posts to be locked by the mods after the sales are completed. It would be nice to gauge how the market is trending as far as pricing.

9 hours ago, ogfarmer said:

i change my topics to "sold please delete" when item is sold, if sold here or elsewhere, i don't like having my posts still up. I prefer them gone and why waste space and bandwith.

personally i believe that there should be a way for ops to delete their posts if they no longer want them visible

I figured that's what u were doing as far as changing the subject. As  for wasting space and bandwith I'm sure that I can find other useless posts elsewhere on the forum. To me and I'm sure others this info could be helpful. 

Either way just asking and not too worried either way. Thanks all!

Thanks for bringing this up and now that I am back from Vegas can address this.

So as @67gtonut mentioned, we do not delete anything immediately after it is sold.

We WILL however lock or delete the post at the author's request after it is closed.

Personally, I would prefer to leave them closed so people can see what sold and what did not, but I respect people's rights if they do not want to advertise it.

@ogfarmer @remixer, the reason why we do not give posters the ability to delete their posts is simply due to issues that may come up in case of arguments, etc.  Not to go into logistics, but it is far easier for us to get to the bottom of things if the post is edited or hidden (as we typically do), versus if it was purely deleted and there is no real way to get it back.  (Technically, there is... we have daily onsite backups and then daily data dumps off site.  I suppose we can download those, restore the backups to see... but generally speaking, once deleted it is gone).

In the future, with a comprehensive update that is coming, including the marketplace, authors will have the full ability to lock and or remove their listings when sold. 

12 hours ago, Maksim said:

Thanks for bringing this up and now that I am back from Vegas can address this.

So as @67gtonut mentioned, we do not delete anything immediately after it is sold.

We WILL however lock or delete the post at the author's request after it is closed.

Personally, I would prefer to leave them closed so people can see what sold and what did not, but I respect people's rights if they do not want to advertise it.

@ogfarmer @remixer, the reason why we do not give posters the ability to delete their posts is simply due to issues that may come up in case of arguments, etc.  Not to go into logistics, but it is far easier for us to get to the bottom of things if the post is edited or hidden (as we typically do), versus if it was purely deleted and there is no real way to get it back.  (Technically, there is... we have daily onsite backups and then daily data dumps off site.  I suppose we can download those, restore the backups to see... but generally speaking, once deleted it is gone).

In the future, with a comprehensive update that is coming, including the marketplace, authors will have the full ability to lock and or remove their listings when sold. 

I never asked lol

its not s horrible idea to leave them up

Literally , no. I couldn't tell if the website was up or not, because the IP address could not be found. Perhaps their DNS servers and/or network segment was down. (For future reference, the IP address is 199.48.254.9)

In English: if I remove your listing in the phone book, no one can look up your number if they forget it.

Note: OK, forget the 'for future reference'. Apparently the website is not configured to accept the IP address; only the URL.

Edited by 45Doll
Notation

On 1/24/2019 at 4:05 PM, ogfarmer said:

Sorry I missed this.

The problem with that... and honestly even letting folks edit their own posts but here it outweights the added workload, is in case of disputes.

If you have the ability to delete original post... what happens to the replies, etc?

This is why I was a fan of the marketplace listing system we used... but a few folks were complaining about not seeing it on mobile, etc... and why we are back to the 1990s.

43 minutes ago, RightNYer said:

Not directly on point, but requiring a paid membership to list items is pretty lame.

This is how it has been for the last 8 years and in line with majority of other communities out there.

Before going with the current system, there were plenty of people who came to take advantage of the community who had no interest in participating... they were here primarily for personal gains.

As always, if $3 is a detriment, you can always message me or the mods and make a case and if the item is worth it to the community, would let you list it for free.

In either case though... far cheaper than gunbroker or any consignment fee you would pay an FFL.  

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

This is how it has been for the last 8 years and in line with majority of other communities out there.

Before going with the current system, there were plenty of people who came to take advantage of the community who had no interest in participating... they were here primarily for personal gains.

As always, if $3 is a detriment, you can always message me or the mods and make a case and if the item is worth it to the community, would let you list it for free.

In either case though... far cheaper than gunbroker or any consignment fee you would pay an FFL.  

I know what the point is, but two years ago, after moving out of NJ to a free state, I attempted to list my stash of 15 round AR mags for just the cost of shipping, just to help out members. My post was removed for violating the rule. Given that I wasn't going to make a dollar on those sales, I wasn't going to pay anything at all to list them. This gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

Where I live now, there are plenty of free sites to sell guns and accessories on. I wouldn't say it's in line with other communities. The others have paid accounts for FFLs, but are still free for normal guys.

1 minute ago, RightNYer said:

I know what the point is, but two years ago, after moving out of NJ to a free state, I attempted to list my stash of 15 round AR mags for just the cost of shipping, just to help out members. My post was removed for violating the rule. Given that I wasn't going to make a dollar on those sales, I wasn't going to pay anything at all to list them. This gave me a bad taste in my mouth.

Where I live now, there are plenty of free sites to sell guns and accessories on. I wouldn't say it's in line with other communities. The others have paid accounts for FFLs, but are still free for normal guys.

Sorry but you should have read the rules. 

Just to clarify, the forum should only cover its expenses if you make money on the sale of your items?

And finally as I stated... instead of breaking simple forum rules... should have messaged an admin or a mod and asked to have it listed.  They would generally let you.   

Seriously... what's $3?  The $2 the forum ends up receiving means the difference between me being hundreds in the whole every month and A LOT less work for mods keeping people who take advantage of community. 

If you were really going to give the mags away for free... you are 1 out of 99 people who would simply register to make a buck off of someone here. 

In the same amount of time it took you to find this topic and call it "lame" you could have sent a private message and had it listed. 

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Sorry but you should have read the rules. 

Just to clarify, the forum should only cover its expenses if you make money on the sale of your items?

And finally as I stated... instead of breaking simple forum rules... should have messaged an admin or a mod and asked to have it listed.  They would generally let you.   

Seriously... what's $3?  The $2 the forum ends up receiving means the difference between me being hundreds in the whole every month and A LOT less work for mods keeping people who take advantage of community. 

If you were really going to give the mags away for free... you are 1 out of 99 people who would simply register to make a buck off of someone here. 

In the same amount of time it took you to find this topic and call it "lame" you could have sent a private message and had it listed. 

If I'm giving items away for free, I'm not going to pay anything. I could have thrown the mags out and ended up in the same position as I was trying to. 

With all due respect, I have run sites too. I paid my expenses through banner ads (although they don't pay much anymore) and donations. Sometimes I made money, often I didn't.

In fact, I donate money fairly regularly to a gun site where I live now, but I resent being FORCED to pay, versus doing so voluntarily.

Anyway, I already gave my mags away a long time ago, to someone on Armslist. It's your site, and you can run it as you see fit. I'm just voicing my opinion. You and the other moderators can do with it what you'd like.

Have a good day.

1 minute ago, RightNYer said:

If I'm giving items away for free, I'm not going to pay anything. I could have thrown the mags out and ended up in the same position as I was trying to. 

With all due respect, I have run sites too. I paid my expenses through banner ads (although they don't pay much anymore) and donations. Sometimes I made money, often I didn't.

In fact, I donate money fairly regularly to a gun site where I live now, but I resent being FORCED to pay, versus doing so voluntarily.

Anyway, I already gave my mags away a long time ago, to someone on Armslist. It's your site, and you can run it as you see fit. I'm just voicing my opinion. You and the other moderators can do with it what you'd like.

Have a good day.

You are missing my main point...

You could have messaged the mods, and they would have listed them for free. In 10 years, I have had a few people ask and let them in every case... and would have if you were giving them away for free. 

Actually, I did go back through... to find out what really happened.

You hijacked another WTS topic to post your own...  THAT is why your post was deleted.  HUGE no no.  And of course... no where does it say you were going to give them away for free. 

image.png

1 minute ago, Maksim said:

Actually, I did go back through... to find out what really happened.

You hijacked another WTS topic to post your own...  THAT is why your post was deleted.  HUGE no no.  And of course... no where does it say you were going to give them away for free. 

image.png

I was only trying to "sell" them for the $7 it cost to throw them in a priority mail box, but I apologize also for not making that clear. In the end, I "sold" them for the shipping costs only, and I sold my 10 round G17 mags to a guy in a non-free state the same way, just for the cost of shipping. Anyway, I apologize for not PMing you before hand.