Sniper

5 People Killed at Florida Sun Trust Bank by 21 Year Old Guy

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Which part of " accumulation of risk factors " did you not understand?

That's how they say, we don't really know but there's a pretty big correlation when you put a lot of them together.  So singling out a single risk factor (video games) is at least a poor representation of the results.  I understand the statement quite well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

Dear god, let go of the video games. 

You do realize that people who play video games these days is basically.. Everyone. If it caused dangerous aberrant behavior, the crime rate would be shooting through the roof, not declining.  

One of the key issues is mental health, and our health care system in the US. 

Back in the 80s, your tax dollars funded a significant amount of charity care for metal illness. Today that's almost nonexistent. Back then if you wound up in court for doing questionable shit, it was a lot easier to remand you for observation and treatment than it is today. The net result is problem people get flagged as problematic much, much later if at all. 

I don't play video games

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

First "article" is just a means of of obfuscating the methodologies of sudies. It cites a meta-analysis of shitty studies. 

You should read some of the studies the APA is aggregating as to what is their metric for aggression.  In one of them you want to know what "aggression  and reduced empathy is?" How much hot sauce you put on someone else's food. Some of them equate "aggression" to acts significantly less severe than that. Like literally how much they were likely to complain about switching tasks later. 

Your next link says... shocker... that amongst a population of kids in jail for violent acts, they foudn that a lot of them played video games. Bet they drank water, ate bread, and were exposed to smog as well. 

Another longitudinal study found that there was more liklihood of kids who played violent video games going to the principals office for agressive acts. Sounds good. It''s cited int eh APA study. Hmm what's the rate? Video game exposure: boys & girls combined 40%. No violent video games? Boys 39%, girls 14%. 

Your third link is the press release for the study cited in the first link. 

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/01/180116131317.htm

It's no the negative side, but also shitty and typica. "Aggression" is choosing violent language to complete sentences. 

This site aggreagates some of the pertinent details of studies on both sides. They are mostly shit. Everyone wants a headline, and ethical guidelines and limited budget prevent any actual decent research. 

https://videogames.procon.org

2 hours ago, GunsnFreedom said:

So singling out a single risk factor (video games) is at least a poor representation of the results. 

Who's singling out a SINGLE risk factor. Is reading comprehension not your strong suit?

2 hours ago, Darrenf said:

So the more data you can correlate the more solid your argument?  

Does everything just have to have a single fault, there can't be multiple issues going on?

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

This site aggreagates some of the pertinent details of studies on both sides. They are mostly shit. Everyone wants a headline, and ethical guidelines and limited budget prevent any actual decent research. 

https://videogames.procon.org

Lots of info, I know which side you're on in the debate.

Want to know why there isn't more information and studies on the issue:

...."As many as 97% of US kids age 12-17 play video games, contributing to the $21.53 billion domestic video game industry. More than half of the 50 top-selling video games contain violence.

Worldwide sales of video games are predicted to reach $102.9 billion in 2017. [132] As games continue to get more sophisticated and realistic, the debate over whether or not children should be exposed to violent video games continues. "

Do you really think they'll kill a cash cow like this industry by reporting negative studies?

24 minutes ago, Sniper said:

...."As many as 97% of US kids age 12-17 play video games,

If it were a risk factor that could rise above statistical noise, then we would have a really serious violence problem, since up to 97% are exposed.  GMAFB.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It’s a hard thing for people to come to terms with. You cannot rationalize, explain, understand evil. It will always be there. Even the mental health avenues or “ red flag laws” are not a panacea. 

The recurring mistake we make, more controls will stop this. But that’s been proven false every time. 

Only thing that seems to work with consistency, good guys stop bad guys.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Who's singling out a SINGLE risk factor. Is reading comprehension not your strong suit?

Well, you were bringing up a specific example in reference to this guy's violence.  I disagree with the studies because a lot of them use statistics abhorrently.  My reading comprehension is actually quite good.  

Plus, a neighbor reported he'd hear the kid up late in the morning playing video games. Are these killing games part of the problem, where shooting people in real life is just like shooting them in the video?

And yes, I see you said "part of the problem" but the only piece of information you go on is the video game angle.  

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Darrenf said:

If it were a risk factor that could rise above statistical noise, then we would have a really serious violence problem, since up to 97% are exposed.  GMAFB.

That's the rub, if it was truly a leading factor or even one that was heavily contributing we would have an enormous violence epidemic as opposed to a historical downward trend.  It's likely the opposite is true, violent people buy violent games (just as other people buy violent games for other reasons).

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

And yes, I see you said "part of the problem" but the only piece of information you go on is the video game angle.  

Actually, no I didn't.  Go back and read everything I posted. I also mentioned a possible issue with broken families. Plus, I posed it as a QUESTION, if video games played an issue. I DIDN'T say it was the reason.

59 minutes ago, GunsnFreedom said:

My reading comprehension is actually quite good. 

Maybe not, go back and READ how I framed my post.

It seems we have a few here that are sensitive to video game "addiction" or have kids that are regular users. That seems to be why certain ones are so defensive to gaming and it's affects. They are too quick on the draw with their responses before thinking.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Only thing that seems to work with consistency, good guys stop bad guys.

I think it starts before that. Families and friends need to be proactive and recognize when a person close to them is having issues, and get them the help they need, before it gets to a good guy having to stop a bad guy situation.

20 minutes ago, Zeke said:

What do you want to ban to fix this?

you’ve already said video games.

Another one with reading comprehension issues...

Where did I say ban video games? Please repost my comment where I said that......

I'll wait.............................

27 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Another one with reading comprehension issues...

Where did I say ban video games? Please repost my comment where I said that......

I'll wait.............................

Actually everyone is kinda seeing it

Its a pretty futile attempt to place blame on something for the psychopathic tendencies of a person.

At the end of the day, they never developed empathy, whether it was early childhood or in their genes. This isnt about something that makes people psychopathic... these are not people that are "made" by losing a sense of emotion, they are people who literally never developed it at all from extremely early in life.

A video game, literally, cannot make someone a psychopath. It can desensitize someone to violent acts, but it will not make a person loose an emotion they have already developed, especially something like empathy.  

If someone has a developed sense on empathy, it is nearly impossible for them to play a video game with this "fantasy" like behavior of actually killing people. You would have to already want to kill people for that to be true.

Your typical criminal is a sociopath, which has been widely understood as an early childhood environmental issue. Not necessarily broken families, but the lack of nurture one receives. Hard to care about other people when no one ever cared about you. 

These are anti-social disorders, so it makes extreme sense why they would spend a lot of time playing video games. But MILLIONS of videos games are sold a year: 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/321374/global-all-time-unit-sales-call-of-duty-games/

• Agree 2