Mrs. Peel

Trend: Churches Forming Volunteer Security Teams (Article)

Hmmm... this topic didn't fall neatly into any of our forum categories, so I'm putting it here (because it does briefly reference a 2007 case where an armed person stopped a shooting... mainly though, this is about decent people trying to prevent (or at least quickly stop) a shooting).

I think it's an interesting trend... that leaves me with mixed feelings. Primarily, I find it sad and shameful that a few sick individuals committed acts of violence at houses of worship in the FIRST place. That said, I can't blame congregations for having concerns... and I applaud the individuals who are stepping up to "protect the flock". It reflects volunteerism, the proverbial "ounce of prevention", and self-reliance at its best IMO. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/guns-and-god-growing-number-of-churches-want-armed-security/ar-BBSNdhE?ocid=spartanntp

• Like 1

Can't they just post NO VIOLENCE signs on their front doors?  Maybe Murphy can sign a law that for Gun Free Church Zones.  I guess I better be quiet. 

I live and work in NJ.  

To say that I was shocked to hear that local members of some houses of worship have congregants on armed "patrol" on their grounds would be an understatement.  Personally I have mixed feelings about it.  I'm not particularly against it but wonder and worry that "use of force" issues are a potential issue.  I mean, if some dunderhead decides to cut through a parking lot on their way to some benign engagement wearing a long, dark trenchcoat and the congregants get spooked...  But on the whole, it's not the worst idea out there.  

I am sure this has been happening long before mass shootings were all the rage, especially in the bible belt.  It's just now with guns in the spotlight and the supreme court will see a 2A case that this is being brought to light.  Do you see the light?!?

Churches/Religious Congregations, Movie Theaters, Schools, etc. are always targeted as they are all places where people congregate en masse and are generally unprotected.  Soft targets.  Easy targets.

It's about time some of these churches have started stepping up to take steps to protect themselves.  

• Like 1

Parishioners protecting the flock surprise me not!  As a 2A Leader, I've already been consulted by several houses of worship of all faiths, as well as multiple Police agencies, to give advice on everything from security measures & how to layer them to the carrying of firearms on church property.  It's been an honor to serve in that capacity as CNJFO's Vice President.

14 hours ago, Bully said:

I live and work in NJ.  

To say that I was shocked to hear that local members of some houses of worship have congregants on armed "patrol" on their grounds would be an understatement.  Personally I have mixed feelings about it.  I'm not particularly against it but wonder and worry that "use of force" issues are a potential issue.  I mean, if some dunderhead decides to cut through a parking lot on their way to some benign engagement wearing a long, dark trenchcoat and the congregants get spooked...  But on the whole, it's not the worst idea out there.  

Shocked?  You've been hanging around No. Jersey Dems too long Chris.  It's affected your situational RADAR, lol!

Your trench coat analogy has the same scent to it (excrement) as Weinberg's armed Pizza Delivery guy shooting-up Teaneck.  Get a grip & stop acting like a victim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

Shocked?  You've been hanging around No. Jersey Dems too long Chris.  It's affected your situational RADAR, lol!

Your trench coat analogy has the same scent to it (excrement) as Weinberg's armed Pizza Delivery guy shooting-up Teaneck.  Get a grip & stop acting like a victim.

Ummmmmmmm...  You may have the wrong guy here.  For sure not a victim.  

16 hours ago, Bully said:

Personally I have mixed feelings about it.  What if some dunderhead decides to cut through a parking lot on their way to some benign engagement wearing a long, dark trenchcoat and the congregants get spooked.

What?

Is this an attempt at trolling?

3 hours ago, Bully said:

Ummmmmmmm...  You may have the wrong guy here.  For sure not a victim.  

Nope, I got the right guy.  The Northeast Bergen County guy who's so used to being a discriminated-against NJ gun owner that he's developing into a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.  True Patriots aren't wishy-washy about civilians carrying, especially God-fearin' Church goers for Christ's sake.  You're a victim of mind-altering INCREMENTALISM. 

Put bluntly RIGHTS trump FEELIN's.  Their right to protect themselves trumps your FEELIN'S.

FWIW I have friends on Church Security Details, and some are authorized to carry weapons.

Praise the Lord & PASS THE AMMUNITION!

:)  

Luke 22 (NIV)

35Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’ b ; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Luke 22 (NIV)

35Then Jesus asked them, “When I sent you without purse, bag or sandals, did you lack anything?”

“Nothing,” they answered.

36He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’ b ; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

The sword!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Nope, I got the right guy.  The Northeast Bergen County guy who's so used to being a discriminated-against NJ gun owner that he's developing into a victim of Stockholm Syndrome.  True Patriots aren't wishy-washy about civilians carrying, especially God-fearin' Church goers for Christ's sake.  You're a victim of mind-altering INCREMENTALISM. 

Put bluntly RIGHTS trump FEELIN's.  Their right to protect themselves trumps your FEELIN'S.

FWIW I have friends on Church Security Details, and some are authorized to carry weapons.

Praise the Lord & PASS THE AMMUNITION!

:)  

Nope.  Wrong guy.

Trust me on this.

^^^ @Zeke I wanna buy this car dealer a drink!  CNN "Babe" gets OWNED & keeps commin' back for MORE!

The car dealer got her to admit her age on CNN!!  "We had firearms in the house, BUT AK-47's though, do you think THAT's acceptable?"

I wonder who does her hair???

1 minute ago, Smokin .50 said:

^^^ @Zeke I wanna buy this car dealer a drink!  CNN "Babe" gets OWNED & keeps commin' back for MORE!

The car dealer got her to admit her age on CNN!!  "We had firearms in the house, BUT AK-47's though, do you think THAT's acceptable?"

I wonder who does her hair???

That ones been around awhile bud! Lol

layoff @Bully. He’s on our side. And clearly said” not the worst idea out there “

nyc metro area is rampant with “ fear of others “ and for good reasons.

jus sayen 

On 1/27/2019 at 11:21 AM, Mrs. Peel said:

Hmmm... this topic didn't fall neatly into any of our forum categories, so I'm putting it here (because it does briefly reference a 2007 case where an armed person stopped a shooting...

Darn it, time flies by quickly. Seems like it just happened last year

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.