Sniper

5 Police Officers Shot in Houston Serving Warrant

These guys can't catch a break.. Also 2 suspects killed during the raid.

HOUSTON, Texas (KTRK) -- Five Houston police officers have been wounded in a shooting in southeast Houston while serving a narcotics warrant.

Life Flight was called to the scene. All the officers have been taken to Memorial Hermann Hospital.

Two of the officers, ages 54 and 40, are in surgery in critical condition. Both were reportedly shot in the neck.

Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo says narcotics officers, with patrol officers on the scene to provide support, announced themselves at the suspects' home in the 7800 block of Harding at about 4:15 p.m. Monday. Immediately, officers were under fire from one or two suspects inside the home.

Houston police confirmed two suspects were killed in the exchange of gunfire.

https://abc13.com/5110369/

Horrible story.

I hope the cops pull through.

To me it seems like 4:15 pm is a poor time to do something like that.  Maybe that's the only time the guy was home, but i thought it was more common to do that kind of thing very early in the mornign to catch people off guard??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 124gr9mm said:

To me it seems like 4:15 pm is a poor time to do something like that.  Maybe that's the only time the guy was home, but i thought it was more common to do that kind of thing very early in the morning to catch people off guard??

Let me preface by saying that I have zero knowledge of the planning for this event. I can tell you from my experience, that putting this kind of operation together we don’t always have as much flexibility as we would like.

A lot of times, for narco warrants, it is a heat of the moment event as you run up a chain of bigger fish. From dealer, to local supplier, to area boss, to whatever is next.

Sometimes, a judge will determine when the warrant can be executed, based on likelihood of vehicular and foot traffic in the area, school getting in or out, likelihood of kids being at the location, etc...

Most commonly, you will get a Search Warrant and not an Arrest Warrant. This give you authority to search a specific location for specific items, but not the authority to arrest anyone unless you find people where the drugs are. So to make an arrest, you need the drugs and the people in the location together.

The Police have absolutely zero influence in that and you work solely on “Dealer Time”. Dealers like to play fuck-fuck games with each other and are constantly late or early or changing location and lying to each other. That makes a lot of these jobs “on the fly and in the moment”. 

Yeah, may want to hit the location at 0500hrs, but if the house is empty, or the drugs haven’t gotten there yet, you have just wasted a lot of time, effort, and money for nothing - not to mention you just tipped your hand that you are on to them with nothing to show for it. So you wait until the time is right.

There is a rediculous amount of operational planning for these jobs in an effort to reduce the chances of something like this happening. Unfortunately, you can never eliminate it.

I thank God that there are men and women doing this work in the face of these kinds of odds. I hope the officers recover fully and continue to hunt the scumbags that are destroying lives in our cities and towns.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Something sounds strange here, plus update, it was 4 officers shot and the 5th one received a knee injury, which required surgery. Also, all officers are alive and recovering.

But this is strange, here's the description of what happened:

When the officers entered the home, they immediately came under fire, Acevedo said.

All of the officers involved are undercover narcotics officers. Their names will not be released.

Acevedo said the first officer who went through the door had a shotgun and was immediately charged by a large pit bull.

The officer shot the dog and killed it.

At the same time, the first suspect, identified as 59-year-old Dennis Tuttle, came from around the back and opened fire with a .357 Magnum revolver, hitting the first officer in the shoulder.

That's when the second suspect, 58-year-old Rhogena Nicholas, reached over the officer and started making a move for his shotgun.

Back-up officers fired at Nicholas, hitting her.

Both Nicholas and Tuttle were killed in a shootout with police."

Could this been a case of "friendly fire", they didn't specify if the other officers were also shot by Tuttle, just that they were shot? Maybe just sloppy reporting. Need to go search for other details....

https://abc13.com/live-hpd-chief-doctor-update-injured-officers-conditions/5110369/

The Federal investigation into the no-knock raid on 1815 Harding Street in Houston Texas, on January 28th, 2019, where the married couple, Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas were killed in their home, has resulted in indictments and arrests for three people. Those three are former officers Gerald M. Goines, 55, Seven M. Bryant, 46, and neighbor Patricia Ann Garcia, 53.

On 1/29/2019 at 11:27 AM, 124gr9mm said:

Horrible story.

I hope the cops pull through.

To me it seems like 4:15 pm is a poor time to do something like that.  Maybe that's the only time the guy was home, but i thought it was more common to do that kind of thing very early in the mornign to catch people off guard??

The article says it was a Federal investigation which means it most likely was a Federal warrant.  There is more to it in addition to what @High Exposure said above.

Federal judges will issue an anticipitary search warrant.  I dont know what states will do this. This is where you know what is to be searched but certain things have to happen before you have probable cause (eg the drugs have to be delivered).  When these conditions exist the warrant is valid not before or after.  The on scene commander has to make a judgement call to execute the warrant when the conditions exist.

10 minutes ago, Underdog said:

The Houston please don't sound too upstanding or reliable...

Houston PD has over 5000 officers.  There are bound to be a few bad ones amongst them.

Do you condemn the rest of mankind because of the evil people in the world?

In a situation like this I really don't care about the petty details.  The point, to me, is cops were hurt trying to take down scumbags and the scumbags are dead.  My heart goes out to the shot cops and cudos to the same for removing two scumbags from society.  And extra cudos to the Officer who's been shot before and stayed on the job to serve and protect rather than take the disability route.  

4 minutes ago, BobA said:

In a situation like this I really don't care about the petty details.  The point, to me, is cops were hurt trying to take down scumbags and the scumbags are dead.  My heart goes out to the shot cops and cudos to the same for removing two scumbags from society.  And extra cudos to the Officer who's been shot before and stayed on the job to serve and protect rather than take the disability route.  

What is your definition  of scumbag?

Two wrongs dont make a right... 

Good people were hurt during this... with "alledged" criminals on both sides of the law.

17 minutes ago, BobA said:

These Houston cops are not the good guys that were "cops were hurt trying to take down scumbags and the scumbags are dead".  Look into the story, two of the cops were arrested by the feds for civil rights violations and by the state for murder in the case. They made it all up...

"To obtain the warrant, the indictment alleges, Goines stated a confidential informant had purchased heroin at the house—but after the raid, the narcotics officer admitted that he made up the informant and lied about buying drugs at the home."

6 minutes ago, BobA said:

These people fall under my definition.  Twice sold hard drugs to undercovers.  And she climbed over a wounded Officer to get his gun and shoot more.

That early information was all fabricated.  Look at the updates since January.

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

These people fall under my definition.  Twice sold hard drugs to undercovers.  And she climbed over a wounded Officer to get his gun and shoot more.

I would agree, but unfortunately if the cops break the law... the ends hardly justify the means.

If there were no drug in the house, and the warrant was granted with fabricated evidence, is this really any different than a home invasion? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WP22 said:

You may want to google that again.

Quoted from:

https://abc13.com/what-we-know-about-the-2-suspects-killed-in-shooting/5110865/

"Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said the drug raid on the home stemmed from numerous complaints from neighbors. He said undercover officers had previously made two purchases of black tar heroin from drug dealers at the house."

1 minute ago, BobA said:

Quoted from:

"Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo said the drug raid on the home stemmed from numerous complaints from neighbors. He said undercover officers had previously made two purchases of black tar heroin from drug dealers at the house."

I think that is what he is saying, the undercover cop lied.

1 minute ago, JackDaWack said:

I would agree, but unfortunately if the cops break the law... the ends hardly justify the means.

No doubt.  But the constant seconding guessing of every stinking move they make disgusts me sometimes.  They are in situations that can't be arm chair quarter backed and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

6 minutes ago, BobA said:

No doubt.  But the constant seconding guessing of every stinking move they make disgusts me sometimes.  They are in situations that can't be arm chair quarter backed and deserve the benefit of the doubt.

We live in a world where a lot of people hate cops..

Unfortunately this does nothing to help the situation.  As well intentioned they may have been to get drug dealers off the street, these cops are no better if they break the law too.

2 minutes ago, BobA said:

And maybe he did.  But opening fire and crawling over a wounded one to get his gun to kill more is not the way to prove it to me.  

I have no doubts these people were what the cops said they were, I think they were so sure of it they took a shortcut to get a warrant. I still dont thinks that means we can look the other way.

The only thing that points to the cops not operating in the communities best interest are tin foil hats.  One can safely assume there will be a through investigation in search of the truth.   I'm saying I feel  it's wrong, boarding immoral, to first assume the cops were in the wrong.  

That being said, I'd bet the chances of that couple waking up that morning and feeling they were going to sell more harmful drugs and shoot anyone trying to stop them are better than those cops woke up saying "let's all get together and find a suburban couple and their dog to shoot today".

Edited by BobA
grammer

19 minutes ago, BobA said:

Quoted from:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/chief-houston-officer-lied-in-warrant-affidavit-that-led-to-deadly-drug-raid-5OoWNkL_7kywJvDiW4B-Zw/

Officer Gerald Goines claimed he watched an informant buy drugs at the home of Dennis Tuttle and Rhogena Nicholas.

Houston, TX – Houston Police Chief Art Acevedo has announced that a veteran narcotics officer provided “some material untruths or lies” to obtain a search warrant that led to a deadly shootout in January.

And the numerous complains from neighbors.....It was a neighbor that lied about a daughter she didn't have being kept hostage inside the house.

Oh Welllll....I guess then they should have shot more cops.  

I've been wronged by cops and authorities and I've been righted by the same.  There are crooked cops, honest cops, lazy cops, hard working cops, etc but for what it's worth coming from one little piss-ant individual like me, I will always support them and have their backs until proven otherwise.

30 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

is this really any different than a home invasion? 

After the home owner took the first shot and saw they were cops?  I believe so.  

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, BobA said:

I've been wronged by cops and authorities and I've been righted by the same.  There are crooked cops, honest cops, lazy cops, hard working cops, etc but for what it's worth coming from one little piss-ant individual like me, I will always support them and have their backs until proven otherwise.

Respectfully Bob, I think you should actually read the "petty details" a little more in these cases.

- The two homeowners who were killed had NO criminal record.  They sold NO drugs to any undercover officers.

- The story from a neighbor about the alleged drug sale to a kid was a LIE.  That neighbor is listed in the article that details the arrest of the officers.

- That LIE from the neighbor made its way to one of the detectives who further LIED and said an informant purchased drugs from the homeowners.  Those lies were used as the basis for the no-knock warrant.

As a result you have two homeowners with NO CRIMINAL RECORD sitting at home at 4:00 one afternoon and the door gets kicked in and someone shoots your dog.  They return fire and are killed.

Most cops are good, but the bad cops screwed up royally here and got people killed.

Like you, my reaction is to support police officers but you can't be an ignoramus about it.

Calling people scumbags because they got killed by bad cops is poor form...

• Agree 4

1 hour ago, BobA said:

Sorry, but if I know I'm not doing anything illegal and the cops kick my door in and kill my dog, chances are I wont be coming out alive. 

So if someone kicks my door in wearing a badge, I have to assume they are really cops? Drop my only defensive means and surrender?

It sounds like all the really found was a small amount of pot.

If I were an actual criminal I might say you have a point... but as far I am concerned the cops have no reason to ever do a "no knock" warrant at my home. 

This is why no knock warrant are dangerous and should only be conducted under the most extreme conditions. 

Edited after reading the provided link*