dajonga

Launched my first detent and spring! BOING!

Not new to owning or shooting my AR, but new to replacing spring loaded parts on my AR.

Whilst unscrewing the comm-spec buffer tube, I forgot to contain the buffer tube detent......PEW!

Methinks I launched that puppy into low orbit. I heard clicks and echoes all over the basement.

Funny thing is I found 2 springs during the rescue operation. I am confident 1 of them is the right spring, just don't have any idear which one it is. No detent. I will restart the search mission at daybreak, but I am not hopeful. It's like searching for an airliner in the ocean.

You read about it, but until it happens to you, it is only words on a screen.

Are those 2 parts sold local, or do I need to go to fleabay? I can get 2 sets for $5 shipped, so no big deal...... just annoying. 

:D  Mess with guns long enough and it's bound to happen!  I've had it happen a couple of times.  I keep a few extra parts in a box for the AR-15 for this exact reason.  I'm not sure what gun stores are near you but I wouldn't think a regular gun store would stock the misc springs and detents that are commonly lost or damaged when working on ARs unless they actually do work like installing upgrades or gunsmith work.   

21 hours ago, Maksim said:

Just be glad you did not poke an eye out!

This is why when you do this... put the buffer tube/lower receiver in a large ziplock bag.  Voila.. no more lost parts.

I build lowers in a large clear trash bag, more room to move around, and still prevents launching small parts into ballistic orbit. 

• Informative 1

LMAO  You don't need to lock yourself in a bubble to work on a AR.  Just take a moment and think about what you are doing.

The only real problems are the take down , and pivot pin springs and detent.  Wheeler makes a pivot pin tool . The only real problem is those dam dust cover  rod c clips. . As for the rear take down pin, You can tap the hole with a 4x40 tap and put a set screw in it . And you will never have to deal with that issue when removing your butt stock. Most Spikes and Aero  lowers come pre tapped  for the rear set screw.

1 hour ago, silverado427 said:

LMAO  You don't need to lock yourself in a bubble to work on a AR.  Just take a moment and think about what you are doing.

The only real problems are the take down , and pivot pin springs and detent.  Wheeler makes a pivot pin tool . The only real problem is those dam dust cover  rod c clips. . As for the rear take down pin, You can tap the hole with a 4x40 tap and put a set screw in it . And you will never have to deal with that issue when removing your butt stock. Most Spikes and Aero  lowers come pre tapped  for the rear set screw.

I tap the rear detent hole 4-40 and thread in a grub screw to secure the spring/detent in place. Great technique. 

Instead of the Wheeler tool, I use a $.30 clevis pin. I think, off the top of my head, it’s 1/4” pin. Works perfectly. 

I still assemble some of the lower in a clear trash bag...just in case..