Underdog

A Safe Full of Tools...

Anyone interested in a little exercise?   Perhaps some of you have all you need or want in the way of firearms and this doesn't apply, or you just get what you like or will use for your hobby at the moment.   But, are there some of you that are slowly working toward building up a versatile selection, and/or dreaming and planning on putting that firearms battery together.   If so, what are some of your thoughts on choices in the planning as to caliber variety, redundancy, categories, brands, etc.?  What would a minimum working set look like?  Would you choose items on the list that are not exactly favorites of yours, but seem to be a better choice for carefully chosen tool chest?  What critical firearms would you choose for redundancy? And if your list was not in the Republik, how might your choices be different?   It is especially hard in this state because if you don't make good choices initially, or if something new becomes available that you like better then you would take such a hit to make those changes later on to your selections.  

For example, maybe a good kit would be a long-range rifle,  a carbine length rifle, a defensive handgun, and lastly some rimfire choices.  Oh, and a shotgun.

So, maybe it would like like this:  A bolt-action rifle such as a Remington 700, an AR-15, a Glock 19, a Mossberg 500, and maybe a Ruger LCRx in 22 and a Ruger 10/22.  To throw in some caliber variety, maybe the addition of a Ruger Ranch Rifle in 30 caliber and a .357 revolver or 1911.  Or maybe your variety would be more along the lines of say the Glock 19 and then adding a Glock 48.   Would you choose common calibers, or add a few uncommon ones that still could be available when the common ones are not?  For someone with a limited budget what would you suggest?  To me this is interesting when I consider what say Tappan, Kenneth Royce, and say Ferfal consider as possible choices.   Perhaps some might think of just having a couple and maybe duplicates of them and just getting good with them.  So, what are some thoughts?

I agree with @Pizza Bob that I believe you are overthinking this.

In case of "preparedness"... then the question is for what?

You will find MANY here with more than 50 guns but we still buy more and more.

If we are talking about general home security, SHTF... all you really need is like 4 guns?  

An AR-15 in 223/556. Common caliber, versatile for everything from close up home defense all the way to engagements out to 400/500 yards.  When zombies come, you do not need Sub-MOA.  Any decent AR will be just fine out to 500.  This also means you really don't NEED a Remington 700, etc.  In what scenario will you need to shoot past 1,000 yards?  

A reliable all around Pistol in 9mm.  Glock 17/19 M&P, HK P30L, etc.  Something great as a nightstand gun or on a holster.  Modern +P ammo will do just fine.  If you want, upgrade to 40 S&W.  Still accessible, more knockdown power, etc.  Yes, I am a HUGE CZ and 1911 fan, but when I was gone for a week, the wife had two home defense guns, a Glock 22 upstairs, and a M&P 9mm downstairs.

A 22LR rifle.  Small game, etc.  If SHTF or better yet you get out of NJ... SUPPRESSED 22LR like a Ruger 10/22.  Quiet enough for shooting without pissing off neighbors.  Get a thermal scope and you are great for night too.

Some short of Shotgun.

That's really it .

Beyond that it is all preferences and wants.  Yes, I suppose if you live out in the country and need bear protection or shooting elk, etc, you would want a Smith 500, etc.  But practically.... those 4.

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

You're overthinking this

LOL says the guy who's always picking up "deals" at auctions? ;) We can't all be on such a delicious gun buying spree! (Though I applaud your own purchasing journey, lol).

I can see OP's point to think it through. For me, I quickly realized that this is an interest that can get both addictive and expensive. So, I intend to be very conservative... and strategic... about my purchases. For any purchase, I'll put thought into ammo (what's most available AND affordable)… and where my natural aptitude seems to be (for instance, I like shotguns... but I can tell I lack natural aptitude, so any shotgun I buy will be CHEAP one, because I'm not pouring money where I clearly lack aptitude). I will drop more money on rifles - not only do I seem to do better with them - but I enjoy it the most.

Right now I have only handguns: a pistol in .22lr, and a 1911 in .45. I'm about to plunk down cha-ching on a good quality .22lr bolt action rifle (also offering nice ammo redundancy with the pistol), and after that I'm planning to get a good quality bolt-action centerfire rifle, probably in the summer (not sure of caliber yet). At some point along my journey, I'll get a cheap shotgun - simply for fun - and so I no longer have to borrow. (And also because @W2MC looked me straight in the eye and said - quite compellingly, like a Gun Yoda, in an uber-serious tone - "Everyone needs a shotgun". I was instantly convinced. Damn, he's very persuasive!)

We've all got different expendable incomes - as well as other interests, too. If I end up with just those 5 guns, I'll be quite content. 

Good question...  Preparing for what.... 

There is some fun in just having as versatile battery as possible.  As with everything, for me the more stuff you have the more distractions you have.   It takes a lot more time to clean and oil and maintain a safe of guns than it does just a few.  And it seems there is a conflict in getting things you just like and things that you are getting for a strategy that you have established.  

A Marlin 60 sounds nice.  Great gun! 

One of my problems is I like both Glocks and M&Ps but there seems to be redundancy and I like them both for different reasons.  But I also like CZs and Revolvers...  But do I really need to have striker fired and double action/single action?  In particular I like 9mm revolvers.  Perhaps there is just too much variety.  

I have to justify planning on purchasing them somehow.   

Just now, Underdog said:

Good question...  Preparing for what.... 

There is some fun in just having as versatile battery as possible.  As with everything, for me the more stuff you have the more distractions you have.   It takes a lot more time to clean and oil and maintain a safe of guns than it does just a few.  And it seems there is a conflict in getting things you just like and things that you are getting for a strategy that you have established.  

Ah, but what happens is, once you get over like 20..., you will generally have a preference into the type of shooting that you do, i.e. sporting clays, trap, high power rifle, USPSA, IDPA, etc... that you will naturally spend most of your time there.  Furthermore, for those functions, I think you will find you generally have a few guns dedicated to that.  The rest get shot once in a blue blue moon, and generally when another forum member is looking for one and asks to shoot it.

For me,  90% of what I shoot are:  Smith & Wesson Pro 1911 in 9mm, CZ Shadow Custom 9mm, and my SVI 2011 in 40 s&W... which also happen to be the 3 guns I shoot in USPSA.  

The rest are your typical "used" guns... I might have bought them used, but put less than 1,000 rounds through them... in many cases less than 200.

But as far as versatility, it also has to do with what you are comfortable shooting.

As an example, at media day in Las Vegas, we were visting the Ruger booth.  They had both rifles and handguns to shoot.  Unfortunately, someone had knocked over/shot down the pistol target.  All of the remaining targets were set back at 100 yards.

Shooting their 458 socom AR15, suppressed with optic, standing, I was able to hit about half.  YET... picking up their Ruger 1911 from the custom shop, I hit the same USPSA sized steel target 6 out of 8 times with the 1911... 100 yards.

I say this fairly often but the type of shooting you do most, will dictate the best tool FOR YOU!.  

While there are many people very much proficient with ARs... at targets under 50 yards, I feel far more comfortable and faster with a pistol, especially if it is a 1911 or a CZ style gun.

For others, the AR-15 with frangible ammo is their home defense solution.

As far as ammo... yep, folks will generally stick to the main calibers, 22lr, 9mm, 357/38,  45ACP, 223.  BUT there is more fun when you go out.

My current oddballs would be 9mm Makarov, 357 Sig, .41 Magum, 45 GAP, 6.5 Swede, 7.5 Swiss, 7.7 Jap, and I am sure I am forgetting others.  And guys like @Pizza Bob likely have stuff that me and you would not have a chance of coming across. lol. 

8 minutes ago, Underdog said:

A Marlin 60 sounds nice.  Great gun! 

One of my problems is I like both Glocks and M&Ps but there seems to be redundancy and I like them both for different reasons.  But I also like CZs and Revolvers...  But do I really need to have striker fired and double action/single action?  In particular I like 9mm revolvers.  Perhaps there is just too much variety.  

I have to justify planning on purchasing them somehow.   

Redundancy?  sure.

I HATE glocks, but I still own 2 or 3 of them.

I think the M&P has a very mushy trigger... but I still have one. 

Revolvers?  I think the Colts are awesome... but I still have Colts, S&Ws, and Taurus revolvers. 

Are you relatively new to guns?  I promise, once you get past a few you will find reasons to buy more, especially if you are open to buying used and following the marketplace here. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Underdog said:

For example, maybe a good kit would be a long-range rifle,  a carbine length rifle, a defensive handgun, and lastly some rimfire choices.  Oh, and a shotgun.

For someone starting out, who wants to be prepared, then you have to think in rings of defense. You'll need the right equipment to fit in defensive rings spreading out from in close and tight, out to your maximum distance: handgun, shotgun, carbine, long range. Then, after those basic needs are met, start layering in for each ring.

My belief is one is none, two is one, and three is where you want to be. That would be the basic necessity, and make sure you have enough food to feed them.

Once that is completed, it's on to the fun purchases!

@Underdog 2 points that have stuck with me from members here.

” Beware of the man with just one gun, he probably knows how to use it” @High Exposure

“ idk, if the bad guys 1000 yards away, do you really need to stop him?” @GRIZ

that being said; what do you like/want/ need?

If you are buying guns that will have a purpose, not for collection, then the first place to start would be defining the purpose.  Do you want a rifle you can hunt with?  Something for target practice?  Home defense?  Defensive rifle courses?  Action pistol competitions?  This is similar to what you first described, but will help you narrow down what you want much more.  A bolt action rifle that you use for hunting will be much different than one you use for PRS competitions.  An AR-15 that you want to shoot sub-MOA at 500yds will be much different than one you'll take to an urban combat rifle course.  Defining the role will much more accurately determine what you want versus the type of gun.

ETA:  I thought the title of your thread meant you put @Ray Ray in your safe.

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

The only "essential" thing I am lacking is a carbine such as an AR.  I certainly don't have duplicates.  I have an AR lower, but need to build it.  

It was more of an exercise to me... For example if money wasn't an issue I think that this would be an example of an ultimate battery:  If I chose another main handgun other than Glock, I would probably include the 23 as well:

Glock 23 w/ a 9mm conversion barrel and maybe another (9mm, .40S&W)(.357 SIG)

Glock 19 w/ Advantage Arms conversion kit (9mm)

Glock 48 (9mm) or S&W M&P Shield (9mm) or (.40 S&W and conversion barrel)

1911 or S&W 625 (.45 ACP)

Ruger LCR or Ruger Speed Six or alternate (.38, .357)

Ruger LCR or Ruger Speed Six or alternate (9mm)

Mossberg 500 combo set  (12 ga.)

Mossberg 500 persuader 590 (12 ga.)

Ithaca Model 37 (.20 ga.)

Ruger 10/22 Take-Down (.22LR)

Bolt-Action Rimfire (.22LR)

Browning Buckmark Target, Ruger Mark Hunter (.22LR)

Ruger SP101 (.22LR)

S&W M&P 22 Compact (.22LR)

Ruger LCRx or 22/45 Lite (The LCRx would be awesome if it had interchangeable cylinders with magnum) (.22LR)

AR15  (.556x45, .221)

AR15 or Ruger Mini-14 (.556x45, .221) or (.221)

Savage Scout (7.62x39)

AK or Saiga (7.62x39)

Springfield Armory M1A Scout (7.62x51, .308)

Remington 700 or Savage 10 or alternate bolt-action (.308)

Remington 700 or alternate bolt-action (.30-06)

Pump Air Rifle in (.22)

Per the Email above about circles...  A concise battery might be:

S&W M&P 2.0 Full-size

S&W M&P 2.0 Compact (3.6 or 4.0)

S&W M&P 2.0 Shield

Mossberg 500 Combo 

Remington 870 Combo or alternate pump

AR15 Carbine

AR15 Mid-length

AK variant

Ruger 10/22 Take-down

Bolt-action 10/22

Ruger Mark IV Target

Carbine (Scout) .308

Bolt-Action .308

And her would be a smaller essential battery:

Glock 23 w/ conversion barrel

AK variant

Ruger 10/22 

Miossberg 500

Mossberg 500 Combo 

AR15 Carbine

AR15 Mid-length

AK variant

Ruger 10/22 Take-down

Bolt-action 10/22

In between there you can also consider a handgun caliber carbine in 9mm or .40. That can fit between the AR and the 10/22 for inside of 100 yds.

The only "essential" thing I am lacking is a carbine such as an AR.  I certainly don't have duplicates.  I have an AR lower, but need to build it.  

It was more of an exercise to me... For example if money wasn't an issue I think that this would be an example of an ultimate battery:  If I chose another main handgun other than Glock, I would probably include the 23 as well:

Glock 23 w/ a 9mm conversion barrel and maybe another (9mm, .40S&W)(.357 SIG)

Glock 19 w/ Advantage Arms conversion kit (9mm)

Glock 48 (9mm) or S&W M&P Shield (9mm) or (.40 S&W and conversion barrel)

1911 or S&W 625 (.45 ACP)

Ruger LCR or Ruger Speed Six or alternate (.38, .357)

Ruger LCR or Ruger Speed Six or alternate (9mm)

Mossberg 500 combo set  (12 ga.)

Mossberg 500 persuader 590 (12 ga.)

Ithaca Model 37 (.20 ga.)

Ruger 10/22 Take-Down (.22LR)

Bolt-Action Rimfire (.22LR)

Browning Buckmark Target, Ruger Mark Hunter (.22LR)

Ruger SP101 (.22LR)

S&W M&P 22 Compact (.22LR)

Ruger LCRx or 22/45 Lite (The LCRx would be awesome if it had interchangeable cylinders with magnum) (.22LR)

AR15  (.556x45, .221)

AR15 or Ruger Mini-14 (.556x45, .221) or (.221)

Savage Scout (7.62x39)

AK or Saiga (7.62x39)

Springfield Armory M1A Scout (7.62x51, .308)

Remington 700 or Savage 10 or alternate bolt-action (.308)

Remington 700 or alternate bolt-action (.30-06)

Pump Air Rifle in (.22)

Per the Email above about circles...  A concise battery might be:

S&W M&P 2.0 Full-size

S&W M&P 2.0 Compact (3.6 or 4.0)

S&W M&P 2.0 Shield

Mossberg 500 Combo 

AR15 Carbine

AR15 Mid-length

AK variant

Ruger 10/22 Take-down

Bolt-action 10/22

Ruger Mark IV Target

Carbine (Scout) .308

Bolt-Action .308

And her would be a smaller essential battery:

Glock 23 w/ conversion barrel

AK variant

Ruger 10/22 

Miossberg 500

Honestly, this is really breaking it down tooo much.

No one really needs a Full size M&P, a Compact M&P and a Shield.  In reality, you will either have a Compact or a Shield.

Same for 22lr rifles... 10/22 and a bolt action?  Eh, just get one and you are done.

Same thing for AR... a carbine gas rifle and a mid length?  Why not just get a 14.5"+brake in a Mid gas system?  Or at the least just get another upper, no need for another lower.

Etc.

That's the thing... if you are getting that many, it is not because you really need it... but rather want it.

Practically speaking, there is not much that a carbine gas system can do that a mid length gas system can do and vice versa... and generally folks get the longest gas system they can get for the length barrel they are putting together.  Since you are in Jersey, that is 14.5" + brake for 16"+... in that case, you do not need to be limited to a carbine gas system on a 14.5" and you can get a mid length gas system for such a barrel.