Jja6782

Stag arms nightmare

1. Order takes over 2 months to receive after being given an original time to 3 weeks. Stag offers little help and no compensation. See original thread.

2. Gun finally arrives and they sent the completely wrong model. I figure I could deal with it and have them refund me the difference for the cheap model I received.

3. Nope, gun doesn’t work. Fires one or two rounds then won’t cycle. Tried several solutions no luck with knowledgeable guys at work (LEO). No luck something wrong with the gas system.

4. Contact customer service they say they’ll send a return label and get me the correct rifle. Not today tho.. will take 4-5 days because there Is only one employee that handles returns!

5. It has now be 9 days and several phone calls and emails later. No return label. They claim all their employees are at shot show. 

STAY AWAY FROM STAG. Think Im going to go with a return instead of the exchange and get a BCM.

• Like 1

Just now, GlennS87 said:

Sorry to hear you're having problems. I got my Stag 15 VRST S3 back in March and have about 4000 rounds through it without issue.

Yeah I'm mainly upset with their customer service. My buddy ordered the same gun at the same time and hasn't had an issue. 

1 hour ago, Jja6782 said:
  1. Order takes over 2 months to receive after being given an original time to 3 weeks. Stag offers little help and no compensation. See original thread.

2. Gun finally arrives and they sent the completely wrong model. I figure I could deal with it and have them refund me the difference for the cheap model I received.

3. Nope, gun doesn’t work. Fires one or two rounds then won’t cycle. Tried several solutions no luck with knowledgeable guys at work (LEO). No luck something wrong with the gas system.

4. Contact customer service they say they’ll send a return label and get me the correct rifle. Not today tho.. will take 4-5 days because there Is only one employee that handles returns!

5. It has now be 9 days and several phone calls and emails later. No return label. They claim all their employees are at shot show. 

STAY AWAY FROM STAG. Think Im going to go with a return instead of the exchange and get a BCM.

sorry, had to chuckle at that given the ones I know would be lost....:)

curious though, when it fires 1 or 2 rounds, is it picking up the next round and chambering it normally?

5 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

sorry, had to chuckle at that given the ones I know would be lost....:)

curious though, when it fires 1 or 2 rounds, is it picking up the next round and chambering it normally?

Lol I won’t pretend for a second the majority of members here know 10x more than us about guns but the guy that helped is full tackleberry.

it will fire one, rarely two then doesn’t chamber the next I can manually cycle it. Didn’t try a new buffer tube. Tried the ammo and bag ina different guy worked fine

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jja6782 said:

Lol I won’t pretend for a second the majority of members here know 10x more than us about guns but the guy that helped is full tackleberry.

it will fire one, rarely two then doesn’t chamber the next I can manually cycle it. Didn’t try a new buffer tube. Tried the ammo and bag ina different guy worked fine

Sorry you are having issues.

1. What kind of ammo were you shooting?

2. Was it failing to feed the next round?  Not chambering all the way?  Not getting to the chamber?  Pics?

Generally they would test fire the gun to make it runs.

Also, did you try different mags?

Every major dealer was at Shot Show last week and that takes up resources.  Factor in travel and it is there.  Sucks, but that is what it is.

Have any of the shot brass by any chance?

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

You do realize the Majority of the STAG guys were at SHOT show last week...

Yeah that’s fine and I could understand a delay. But 2 weeks for just a return shipping label? Not acceptable in my opinion. They way they blew me off every time I checked on my order status also left a sour taste in my mouth.

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

Sorry you are having issues.

1. What kind of ammo were you shooting?

2. Was it failing to feed the next round?  Not chambering all the way?  Not getting to the chamber?  Pics?

Generally they would test fire the gun to make it runs.

Also, did you try different mags?

Every major dealer was at Shot Show last week and that takes up resources.  Factor in travel and it is there.  Sucks, but that is what it is.

Have any of the shot brass by any chance?

Im gonna shoot a box today at my last attempt and I’ll get back to you thanks 

10 hours ago, Jja6782 said:

Try a different mag. 

• Agree 1

Op- It that were my gun I'd return it and get the BCM. If I buy a factory gun I expect it to work and not have to tinker with it other than changing the mag. If it dont run with a pmag I'd ditch it. 

BCM is higher quality than stag anyway. 

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Op- It that were my gun I'd return it and get the BCM. If I buy a factory gun I expect it to work and not have to tinker with it other than changing the mag. If it dont run with a pmag I'd ditch it. 

True but every company has its off days.  Beyond that, don't really know and might have been something that happened during shipping or even the FFL who was transferring the gun playing with it before you got it. 

Then of course we have to rule out the shooter/user errors and ammo.

Brand new gun + low power Silver Bear, etc... recipe for stove pipes and FTF.  

I suspect though this is where experience comes in too, and experienced gun guys would want to figure out what the issue is instead of throwing it away.  Heck, could be something completely simple like a loose retaining screw on the gas block. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

True but every company has its off days.  Beyond that, don't really know and might have been something that happened during shipping or even the FFL who was transferring the gun playing with it before you got it. 

Then of course we have to rule out the shooter/user errors and ammo.

Brand new gun + low power Silver Bear, etc... recipe for stove pipes and FTF.  

I suspect though this is where experience comes in too, and experienced gun guys would want to figure out what the issue is instead of throwing it away.  Heck, could be something completely simple like a loose retaining screw on the gas block. 

I was pretty close to ordering the BCM but decided to try it once more today. Lubed it up then double checked the gas block again and it shot well. Had one stovepipe of 80 rds and that was right at the beginning, think it’s wearing in. I will say I learned a lot but wish I didn’t have to deal with it on a brand new gun. If I didn’t get the gun for $500 on Black Friday it would be gone. Can’t justify the extra $1000 right now. Going to add a few goodies and keep it for now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jja6782 said:

I was pretty close to ordering the BCM but decided to try it once more today. Lubed it up then double checked the gas block again and it shot well. Had one stovepipe of 80 rds and that was right at the beginning, think it’s wearing in. I will say I learned a lot but wish I didn’t have to deal with it on a brand new gun. If I didn’t get the gun for $500 on Black Friday it would be gone. Can’t justify the extra $1000 right now. Going to add a few goodies and keep it for now.

Glad it was working.

What kind of ammo are you running?

Crap ammo in a new gun will be crap. 

Also, is this your first AR?  Many guns will not cycle fully unless you are holding them tight, particularly for tighter newer guns. 

40 minutes ago, fishnut said:

This.

It's a brand new rifle.  It should work. 
It's also the wrong rifle.  It shouldn't be. 

Bad customer service is bad customer service.  My buddy sent multiple emails and made multiple calls to Manners to find out where the 1300 dollar stock he ordered, and paid for, is.  It should never, and I mean never, take that long to get an answer from a company regardless of what they have going on at a given time.  SHOT show is no excuse.   

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, Bully said:

This.

It's a brand new rifle.  It should work. 
It's also the wrong rifle.  It shouldn't be. 

Bad customer service is bad customer service.  My buddy sent multiple emails and made multiple calls to Manners to find out where the 1300 dollar stock he ordered, and paid for, is.  It should never, and I mean never, take that long to get an answer from a company regardless of what they have going on at a given time.  SHOT show is no excuse.   

I don't see a problem with them saying, "we are closed for the week due to shot show" or an indication that service is limited. But to say you will handle something, and then don't, and then blame it on something else is a problem.

As an instructor and a student, the only rifles that I have seen shit the bed more often than Stag is Bushmaster. (That being said, I dont have an issue buying stripped Stag lowers for carbines I will assemble).

From one LEO to another - Ditch the Stag and get the BCM. Its a better gun that will serve you longer without issues. Stags are hobby guns with a 5000-7000 round service life. I have BCM uppers with 2-3 times that and have seen more BCM rifles with round counts on the tens of thousands that just keep on chugging along.

Don't aspire to mediocrity to save a couple bucks. Whatever you do, don’t throw good money trying to make an inferior product what you want it to be. It never will be - you are just polishing a turd.

Buy quality, buy once, and be confident in your gear.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, fishnut said:

Op- It that were my gun I'd return it and get the BCM. 

9 hours ago, High Exposure said:

From one LEO to another - Ditch the Stag and get the BCM. 

I do not trust Stag Arms at all.  My first AR was a Stag, it would not function reliably.  

I'm sorry to here about your issues. I have actually had very good experiences with their products and CS. Just a few months ago they completely swapped out the entire gas piston system on my 10+ year old Model 8, for free.

Like others have stated, must have been a timing issue with shot show. Not saying that excuses their behavior, but it could have been a factor.

• Like 1

agree, the hate on Stag is surprising as they've been a arfcom darling for years.  I think the 5-7k service life and hobby gun comments are over the top.  While I don't own a stag, hate the rollmark, have friends that do and have handled quite a few and it's not a bad rifle at all.  Now over the past 2 years, I've seen a marked increase in quality issues for them on the various gunboards but I'd still buy a stag over a psa or half the other garbage out there that people seem to be ok with. 

I've had to send back a Noveske, Lwrc, and 'fixed' a DD at myself so no one immune to sending out something that is not right. 

as for the BCM, I'd not buy that rifle as they aspire to be Colt like per their own company page plus.  If that's the case, buy the Colt and be done plus, BCM barrels are known for not being the most accurate rack grade rifles out there.  Filthy 14 doesn't impress me, we are seeing through Hendersons' thread, others that actually put lots of rounds downrange and weapons reports from field usage that the platform is WHAT MANY OF US HAVE KNOWN FOR DECADES, reliable even when filthy.  BCM is overpriced for what you get. 

Under 1k, go Colt or LMT, over 1k, build what you want imho as then you are paying for the smaller production and increased marketing of the smaller shops that don't really pump out the volume to bring their standard offerings down.  Now LMT's enhanced bolt, some Kac features are truly top tier but the Colt or LMT is really all you need.  If the fsb bothers you, Colt has a ff model and FNs SRP model are OUTSTANDING options

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Screwball said:

So... was it a lube or ammo problem?

Gas ports weren’t lined up from the factory. Ffter firing rounds and taking it apart I could see where the gas left a mark and it it wasn’t nearly centered. Sure lube helped too. The ammo was good from the start

Was the gas block loose?  Or just not lined up correctly?  IF not enough gas, I suppose the lube made it easier to cycle... but should have been apparent when firing it?  Particularly with ejection "oompth."

Let Stag know... I am sure they would want to take care of you.   If you want, I can reach out via media channels to them.

37 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Was the gas block loose?  Or just not lined up correctly?  IF not enough gas, I suppose the lube made it easier to cycle... but should have been apparent when firing it?  Particularly with ejection "oompth."

Let Stag know... I am sure they would want to take care of you.   If you want, I can reach out via media channels to them.

Lined up poorly. I difinitelt let stag know, I was on the phone everday and they couldn’t even email me a return label in a week, let alone “take care of me.” But yeah it’s worth a shot I guess. I also posted on Reddit and there were several other people with the similar issues recently.