Maksim

PSA: 16" Mid-length upper with Nickel BCG - $279 Free SH

image.png

Link

PSA 16" MID-LENGTH 5.56 NATO 1:7 NITRIDE 13.5" LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK UPPER WITH NICKEL BORON BCG & CH

SKU: 5165449606

UPC: 5165449606

MFR#: 5165449606

Barrel Length: 16"
Gas System: Mid-Length
Barrel Profile: A2 Style
Barrel Steel: 4150V
Barrel Finish: Nitride Black
Chrome Lining: None
Muzzle Thread: 1/2-28
Chamber: 5.56 NATO
Twist Rate: 1:7
Barrel Extension: M4
Diameter at Gas Block: .750
Gas Block Type: Low profile
Muzzle Device: A2 Flash Hider
Receiver Material: Forged 7075 T6
Receiver Type: M4
Hand Guard Type: PSA 13.5" M-Lok Lightweight Rail 
Bolt Carrier Group Included: Yes, Nickel Boron
Bolt Steel: Carpenter 158
Bolt Carrier Profile: Full-Auto
Charging Handle Included: Yes

$279 Free SH

Barrel: 16" 4150V Chrome Moly steel. Chambered in 5.56 NATO, with a 1:7 twist, M4 barrel extension, and a mid-length gas system. Barrel is is finished off with a PSA 13.5" Lightweight M-Lok free float rail, .750 gas block, and an A2 flash hider.

Upper: Forged 7075-T6 A3 AR upper is made to MIL-SPECS and hard coat anodized black for durability. These uppers are made for us right here in the USA by a mil-spec manufacturer.

Bolt Carrier Group: ToolCraft nickel boron BCG has a bolt made of mil-spec shot-peened Carpenter 158 steel. Gas key is secured with grade 8 fasteners and staked per mil-spec.

Will need to swap out the flash hider for a brake and have it pinned.  Local FFL should be able to do it for you.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Waiting on the hate to flow.  PSA stuff is decent. Is it BCM or Colt?  No.  But it works.

Great for a range toy or hunting where allowed but I wouldn't rely on it as my primary HD gun. 

3 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Waiting on the hate to flow.  PSA stuff is decent.

I did one recently, a Freedom upper and popped it on a Anderson lower. Figured it would be a throw-away AR, if needed. Trigger was a little funky, so I threw in a LaRue trigger, big difference.

8 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Great for a range toy or hunting where allowed but I wouldn't rely on it as my primary HD gun. 

Why not, it makes rounds go bang? Will a "tweaker" know the difference at 2 AM?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I did one recently, a Freedom upper and popped it on a Anderson lower. Figured it would be a throw-away AR, if needed. Trigger was a little funky, so I threw in a LaRue trigger, big difference.

Spot on... but even for "primary HD gun"  Don't care about the price... what I care about is whether I had hundreds or thousands of trouble free rounds through it.  Beyond that, it is about knowing how to deal with any malfunctions.

Plus for Home Defense... it will be a "reliable throwaway" as if God forbid you have to use it... you should be able to kiss it goodbye for a while.  (unless this is SHTF or Zombies where courts will not be an issue).

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Plus for Home Defense... it will be a "reliable throwaway" as if God forbid you have to use it... you should be able to kiss it goodbye for a while. 

Yep, plus I was trying to use the crystal ball, if one of these stupid registration laws were passed, this would be the one to register along with the 15 round LCM, then I would have the same LCM to use in the other unknown.......  who knows what crap Murphy will try and pass next.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

Because I wouldn't be 100% confident that it would make the rounds go bang. I've got nothing against them.or.other bargain brand ARs. I have a PSA rifle and a BCA rifle. I have lost of rounds through both. The PSA rifle at first was very tight and was having intermittent feeding and ejecting issues. It got quite a bit better the more I shot it but I can see some shiny spots on the bcg and upper. It still has an issue every few hundred rounds but I dont care because it's a range toy for me. 

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

Because I wouldn't be 100% confident that it would make the rounds go bang.

Shoot it a ton, if it works then call it GTG.  If it has a few failures or it wasn't that reliable, then get something else.

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

Shoot it a ton, if it works then call it GTG.  If it has a few failures or it wasn't that reliable, then get something else.

ARs are like potato chips, you can't have just one. The PSA rifle is a range toy it dosent need to be 100% reliable. It does exactly what I want it to do. Kill paper and steel that's it. 

My BCM has always been 100% reliable that's why it would be my go to HD rifle, that's why it's in a quick access safe in my closet.   

10 hours ago, fishnut said:

The PSA rifle at first was very tight and was having intermittent feeding and ejecting issues. It got quite a bit better the more I shot it but I can see some shiny spots on the bcg and upper. It still has an issue every few hundred rounds but I dont care because it's a range toy for me. 

Look at it as a training session. ANY firearm can have a feed issue, even your most trusted ones. So part of preparation and training is the ability to clear the issue and get back on target. If that's not part of your regular practice, you're NOT ready for home defense.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Look at it as a training session. ANY firearm can have a feed issue, even your most trusted ones. So part of preparation and training is the ability to clear the issue and get back on target. If that's not part of your regular practice, you're NOT ready for home defense.

This.

Some of my favorite guns and those I use in matches are actually not the most reliable.  For Home Defense..., I have an unmolested and unmodified Glock 22.

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Yeah I see your point but that's not what were talking about here. 

If you had 2 ARs sitting in front of you. You have owned both for several years, 1st one had never had a malfunction of any kind ever and the second has had an occasional FTF or FTE. Now your home alone and you hear what sounded like your back door getting kicked in. Which rifle do you grab? And dont say both. Lol

1 minute ago, fishnut said:

Yeah I see your point but that's not what were talking about here. 

If you had 2 ARs sitting in front of you. You have owned both for several years, 1st one had never had a malfunction of any kind ever and the second has had an occasional FTF or FTE. Now your home alone and you hear what sounded like your back door getting kicked in. Which rifle do you grab? And dont say both. Lol

How many rounds through each gun?  Which one was recently cleaned? Would I be in a position that I can't cycle the gun by ejecting the unfired gun?

All else being equal, yes, I would go for the one that was more "reliable" but otherwise, the one I had more experience with and knew how to work inside and out.

OR....

The AK in the safe. =P

Just now, fishnut said:

All things equal. 

And no AK in the safe cuz im a heathen and still dont have an AK. 

So yes, all things being equal would obviously take the gun that never had issues... and so should everyone.

Unfortunately it is not always that clear? and there are always trade offs.  Personally, I am not scared of malfunctions, particularly handgun stuff, as that is really drilled into you.  The only stoppage of a malfunction would be a squib... no way am I shooting it out... but that is ammo and not really the gun.

When I am around my gun on me is a 1911 or something.  When I was away at Shot Show... the home defense guns were a Glock 22 and a M&P 9mm.  Different priorities... yes a 1911 may have more stoppages but I am far more proficient on a 1911 platform.  When I am away, wifey feels more comfortable with a "reliable", higher capacity platform.

For more... there is a VEPR AK in another place... ZERO reliability issues. 

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

Now your home alone and you hear what sounded like your back door getting kicked in. Which rifle do you grab? And dont say both. Lol

How about neither. I that case, I grab a handgun (or two), as it will be a close encounter, and trying to swing a rifle around corners in the house is less than ideal.

11 hours ago, Sniper said:

How about neither. I that case, I grab a handgun (or two), as it will be a close encounter, and trying to swing a rifle around corners in the house is less than ideal.

Such a greenday type answer.......

You dont have handguns in this hypothetical situation.

Any way the OP posted a good deal and I have nothing against PSA guns, I own one. I just dont trust it 100% because it's not 100% reliable. So its designated as a range toy and nothing more. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Such a greenday type answer.......

You dont have handguns in this hypothetical situation.

It's not a Greenday answer, just because you don't agree.

I would never be in that hypothetical situation, so it's a non-starter and something I wouldn't even need to address or consider. My AR would be like my third go-to choice, with other preferred items ready first.

IMO, a cheap AR can run reliably provided everything is in spec, but somethings need considering. It must be tested for cycling, like any gun! Second, it requires quality in the most often failed part, the BCG. Other then that, everything else just makes for a better shooter. 

agree, AR is not the first thing I'd want however, there are variables that would predate preparation for such an instance.  So many factors to consider but generally speaking, for a purely hd situation, a rifle is less than ideal in 90%+ of situations

I will say this, no mechanical mechanism is 100% reliable however, firearm least likely to fail is a revolver and inside a home, where there is not retreat, reliability matters just as much as stopping power and dare I say, MORE. 

no onto the deal, mehhhhhh and not because it's psa but because pricing is so much in favor of the buyer right now, you can get used quality for close to this that is barely used. 

Wow, prices are still dropping...

PSA Freedom upper kit, now $260.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-carbine-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-freedom-rifle-kit-5076171.html

Add a stripped lower for $30.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar-15-lower-safe-fire-1728.html

A complete AR platform for under $300.

Wow, I bought a midlength rifle kit with MOE furniture & magpul buis from them not long ago, and though it was a good deal at 329 on sale!

I paired it with an Aero lower. Now have a 'real' AR finally with adjustable stock, flash hider, bayo lug, and they were selling their cheapo 30 rounders at the tine for like 6 or 7 bucks. 

Stock up whilst you can

I have a psa upper it’s one of the marked FN barrel versions.  Shoots great, I did swap out the bcg for a nickel boron, no issue with the psa, just had a better one. It’s been great to me so far no malfunctioning only about 1,000 rd through it though.