fishnut

2018 or 2019 Subaru forester?

Going to look at foresters for my wife tomorrow and I'm not really up on Subarus. Any common issues I should be aware of? Any one have one and do you like it so far? Any new big changes such as new engine or trans? Anything else I should be aware of? 

I had a 1998 Legacy GT wagon until 2008. Loved it. Used it when climbing for a living and put almost 100,000 miles on it in a year and a half driving back and forth from NJ to WV in the summer and NJ to NH in the winters. Zero problems and handled NH  snow and ice (even some logging roads up near Berlin in the snow) with no problem.

My wife now has a 2012 Outback. We are very pleased with it. Great car. 

• Thanks 1

Yeah I know Subaru is the AWD king that's why I'm looking at them. Good to know about the oil consumption, I'll check into that for the new ones. 

Thanks guys! 

@High Exposure were those logging roads in Errol NH? Just north of berlin? That's where I was grouse hunting this year. Fun roads for my jeep. 

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Be a nice guy, and buy her a BRZ.

Um no. Pretty ugly and not exactly kid and dog friendly. Plus she drives like Mrs. Daisy, she has no need for a half assed sports car. 

7 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Yeah I know Subaru is the AWD king that's why I'm looking at them. Good to know about the oil consumption, I'll check into that for the new ones. 

Thanks guys! 

@High Exposure were those logging roads in Errol NH? Just north of berlin? That's where I was grouse hunting this year. Fun roads for my jeep. 

May have been. My buddy and I found this rock formation that looked like a mini Half Dome that we think was unclimbed at the time. We went and put a few ice routes up it.

34 minutes ago, Sniper said:

It's not suppose to be a kid or dog car.

Well we have one kid, two small dogs and a larger dog on the way. We need a mom mobile but dont need a minivan. 

36 minutes ago, WP22 said:

Ask the dealer if they fixed the heater core/exchanger issues.

I'll do some research, I dont believe anything that comes out of a car salesmans mouth. 

32 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

May have been. My buddy and I found this rock formation that looked like a mini Half Dome that we think was unclimbed at the time. We went and put a few ice routes up it.

Crazy bastard, I see climbers often as I drive past cathedral ledge every day. I'm an adrenaline junky but you guys are just plain nuts. Especially on ice, there's something wrong with you guys. Lmao

Actually I think rock and ice climbing is really cool but I just can't get over my fear of heights. I can hike to the top and stand at the edge just fine but no way could I climb up. 

Did some research and it looks.like the 2018 and 2019 still have the oil consumption issues. 1/3 of a quart over 1200 miles or less is acceptable to Subaru! That gives me a bad feeling as we plan on keeping this car for 10 years or more. I really want to like the Subaru and the dealership is right in town but burning that much oil makes me nervous. 

Still going to look at Subaru but I think im leaning towards the Toyota rav4 now. My boss just got one and it's pretty nice and handled the 12" of snow that we just got without a problem. 

My wife has a 2017(?). Last winter the heating stopped working. She went to the dealer for a diagnosis. The core had a leak.

"We'll fix that for free"--No kidding sherlock it's still under warranty; thanks for the favor.

"Wow, we have been replacing a lot of those"--said the tech.

"The part is on back order. It will take a month for it come in".----- In the winter. I would have complained to corporate but she didn't want to.

I've heard a couple other people having a similar issue.

Personally, I wouldn't have bought a Subaru based alone how they handled the oil consumption issue they had years ago, but it's not my car.

4 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Did some research and it looks.like the 2018 and 2019 still have the oil consumption issues. 1/3 of a quart over 1200 miles or less is acceptable to Subaru!...

I'm not a car guy. I don't care about cars, I don't fiddle with cars, I don't know anything about cars. But, subaru is the only maker I know of that finds that acceptable.

I don't. I don't accept that a new car  consume any oil whatsoever.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Did some research and it looks.like the 2018 and 2019 still have the oil consumption issues. 1/3 of a quart over 1200 miles or less is acceptable to Subaru! That gives me a bad feeling as we plan on keeping this car for 10 years or more. I really want to like the Subaru and the dealership is right in town but burning that much oil makes me nervous. 

Still going to look at Subaru but I think im leaning towards the Toyota rav4 now. My boss just got one and it's pretty nice and handled the 12" of snow that we just got without a problem. 

I've heard of the oil consumption issues, so I know it's a concern.   But my 2016 Outback has never, over 65,000 miles, required addition of a single quart of oil in between scheduled (6000 mile) oil changes.   Just one data point, I know.

My wife likes the Rav4's...she has had three of them, and all have been reliable.  And, not being full-time AWD, they are a little less fussy about the tires matching precisely (which can, on a Subaru, force replacement of all 4 tires when one fails).

Only oddity with her Rav4's...the white pearl 2009 and 2012 Ravs that she handed down to her girls both now have the paint peeling off in great big sheets.  All paint is gone from the roof of one, most from the other, and both are now shedding big swatches of paint from the quarter panels.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 10X said:

Only oddity with her Rav4's...the white pearl 2009 and 2012 Ravs that she handed down to her girls both now have the paint peeling off in great big sheets.  All paint is gone from the roof of one, most from the other, and both are now shedding big swatches of paint from the quarter panels.

I've seen this before with the same color. I believe they have corrected it but I would not get any pearl colors anyway. They are a pain in the ass to color match and blend if there is ever an accident. I should know as I'm a PPG certified car painter. I always hated painting pearl color vehicles.unless.it was a.complete repaint. Even then its a 3 stage process instead of 2 stage so that means more time and product which means more money. 

Also good point about the tires. She only needs the awd from November to March. The rest of the year it's not really necessary. 

We have a 2010 Forester w/ 125K+ on it.  Never leaked oil or burnt oil.  Goes everywhere & turns on a dime.  Can't complain.  Would buy another one.

Son had an Audi S4 w/ Supercharger.  Audi tells you it burns a quart every X number of miles & to keep oil in yer trunk :) 

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

Did some research and it looks.like the 2018 and 2019 still have the oil consumption issues. 1/3 of a quart over 1200 miles or less is acceptable to Subaru! . 

MANY OF the manufacturers are saying things like that. a local pd i do work for has a 2016 tahoe. it goes through about 1.5 quarts a month.......according to gm 1qt every 1,000 miles is acceptable. they say to expect higher consumption if it's driven aggressively.

6 hours ago, WP22 said:

I'm not a car guy. I don't care about cars, I don't fiddle with cars, I don't know anything about cars. But, subaru is the only maker I know of that finds that acceptable.

I don't. I don't accept that a new car  consume any oil whatsoever.

wrong

5 hours ago, fishnut said:

Also good point about the tires. She only needs the awd from November to March. The rest of the year it's not really necessary. 

awd is a fantastic "extra" in the rain too.

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

We have a 2010 Forester w/ 125K+ on it.  Never leaked oil or burnt oil.  Goes everywhere & turns on a dime.  Can't complain.  Would buy another one.

Son had an Audi S4 w/ Supercharger.  Audi tells you it burns a quart every X number of miles & to keep oil in yer trunk :) 

i think you meant to say "owdie"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@fishnutwent totally liberal. Rip widdle buddy.

Nope got the Toyota instead. The oil burning would have really bothered me.

If you think subarus are all liberal lesbomobile you should have seen the 450HP STI I helped a friend build. It was scary fast. Made it to killington VT from Clinton NJ in 4 hours in a snow storm! 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bully said:

I have a Subaru.

I'm gonna add a "Meat is Murder" sticker on the gate for when I go hunting.  Keep the tree huggers away.

So far I love it (I know you got the Toyota @fishnut) but it's only been 6 months.  But, I do love it.  

But then your going to have to worry about other hunters messing with your car thinking your some sort of peta freak

• Like 1
  • Haha 1