fishnut

2018 or 2019 Subaru forester?

5 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

wrong

I'm confused. How am I wrong for not accepting that a modern motor consumes oil? 

Let me put it in a different way, I'll will not buy a car from a manufacturer that finds acceptable  their motors to consume oil. I've had one that did when it had 280K miles on the clock. It didn't consume any oil until them. It was a 2002 honda civic.

21 minutes ago, WP22 said:

I'm confused. How am I wrong for not accepting that a modern motor consumes oil? 

Let me put it in a different way, I'll will not buy a car from a manufacturer that finds acceptable  their motors to consume oil. I've had one that did when it had 280K miles on the clock. It didn't consume any oil until them. It was a 2002 honda civic.

that was aimed at the "Subaru is the only maker" part. 

you are otherwise correct. it is not acceptable. i'm not totally sure of what the cause is that so many manufacturers are having this problem. I think it's probably a combination of a few things. hypercritic(probably spelled wrong) pistons. low tension oil rings. probable leaner a/f ratios resulting in much higher combustion temps. among other things. 

and Hondas are about the best out there overall. but they're expensive to fix now. 

• Like 1

We used to have a 2011 Subaru Legacy 2.5. It was a very unrefined vehicle and the engine droned loudly and excessively with the CVT when accelerating. The interior was very cheap with many hard plastics and materials. The non-turbo Subaru engines also produce less power than the majority of engines from other competitors in similar displacements. It all added to an uninspiring vehicle to drive and own. To its credit, the car was reliable and we never had any major issues with it. There was also a lot of room in the engine bay to work on basic maintenance.

If you are considering a Forester, take a look at the Mazda CX-5. That is a far superior vehicle in everyway and drives like a sporting sedan. We dumped the Legacy for a CX-9 and no sooner.

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Hope it looks like this when you get done with the customization:

ecde401847c410dfbd4004a8c5420542.jpg

1- it's the wife's vehicle. 

2- stickers do not make a vehicle custom and contrary to popular belief with the Fast and Furious crowd stickers do not add horsepower either

it is true that the non-turbo subbies are a little under-powered. not by so much though that it's a factor. their turbo cars are good(they don't suck oil like owdies). the wrx and sti's are amazing. the manual trans versions though can break trannys. a friend broke his tranny while still under warranty, and subaru didn't want to do anything. i think they said he abused it. that said though, one does not buy a subaru for performance(for the most part). if you want performance, you go mustang/slomaro/challenger/charger. the challenger/charger i believe are available in awd also.

if i were in the market for that type of vehicle i wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

On 2/1/2019 at 8:59 AM, WP22 said:

I'm not a car guy. I don't care about cars, I don't fiddle with cars, I don't know anything about cars. But, subaru is the only maker I know of that finds that acceptable.

I don't. I don't accept that a new car  consume any oil whatsoever.

Push comes to shove warranty time, you will find a number of makers actually put the threshold for warrantable oil consumption at 1qt per 1000 miles. Which is insane, but it is what it is. 1/3 of a quart every 1200 is is 1 quart ever 3600. Pretty much every car I have ever bought would put up a fight at a figure of 1qt per 3000 miles.  

My $0.02 on subaru and all manufacturers really is that there's a culture to manufacturing and a culture to how they handle warranty. Initial quality is a matter of the culture with regard to engineering and QC. The dealer experience is about the culture to sales and warranty coverage. 

For subaru, they care about the driveline, weight, and price. They engineer around this. Interiors are meh and expect rattles to show up rapidly or over time. Their approach to suspension and brakes is also kind of meh for most of their vehicles. Their approach to electronic gadgets is to be very conservative. Whcih usaually means they work as intended for quite some time, but they are often behind the competition and quirky.  Initial mechanical quality with regards to driveline and basic function of the vehicle should be good. They have a line they draw regarding warranty, and on the ok side of that line the dealer can act pretty freely. Once you cross that line it is a fight, and there is NO help from the mothership as they are the problem. These kinds of problems will either never be addressed and declared "operating as designed" or if there looks like a viable class action suit, they will all of a sudden become the warranty fairy and drop new short blocks on you a year out of warranty to fix the problem. 

For 2019 subaru is getting into large panel infotainment units like the other makers trending towards tesla. Based on my experience with their electronics, I'm  mildly concerned. They usually want things appliance like and durable, but it is not their area of competence.