AlDente67

Walking Dead...things that annoy me

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

Like many years ago?

Or in recent?

Weren't they using G37?

well of course not today, no sp force has revolvers as their duty gun as everyone has moved to semi auto.  Pythons were issues to GSP and not just that, but they were in 4" so the show is doubly wrong.  lol

On 2/4/2019 at 6:45 PM, AlDente67 said:

And why the hell did the architect dude design walls with the supports on the outside?

@AlDente67
As an Architect myself, I wondered the same thing when they first encountered the fortified planned, sustainable suburban town of Alexandria.  It really was overkill to have diagonal structural steel beam supports, serving as buttresses, on both the inside and outside of the corrugated metal wall.  It clearly presented an obvious potential means for other hostile humans, outside the town, to more easily climb up and over the protective walls.  Using the buttressed members just on the inside, spaced closer together and laterally braced together, would have been sufficient structurally to do the job of supporting this wall.  Go figure...??

On 2/5/2019 at 12:01 AM, Danno said:

Why do they walk everywhere? Did the zombies eat all the bicycles? 

@Danno
Ha, ha...  That is one of the first things I asked myself as well.  They would be able to travel much farther using less energy if they scavenged up any number of available bicycles.  Also, if they wanted to they could pull make-shift carts behind their bikes with all of their survival stuff and food.  Go figure.

On 2/6/2019 at 2:28 PM, Old Glock guy said:

Normally, I just go with it, shrug my shoulders and say, "Yeah, whatever."  
In the big picture, if you're willing to accept the premise that the dead come back to life and eat the living, it's hard to say that anything else is unrealistic.  

@Old Glock guy
Yes, it is Hollywood TV entertainment, but I am with you and was questioning the premise of the logical and rational existence of the zombies as well.  In TWD, they never did attempt to explain how this sudden and fast spreading pandemic started and whether or not it was confined to the continental U.S.  Then, in subsequent episodes, we learn that everyone on earth is now already infected with this virus, so that when they die they will very quickly turn into a zombie.  How is this even remotely possible...???  Also, from the beginning of this TV series, I was wondering why do these dead folks, (Zombies), have to eat flesh of a human or animal?  After all, they do not have a functioning digestive system....they are dead!!!  As we have seen on many occasions, many of the zombies have had their stomachs and/or intestines gorged out or suitably destroyed, so where is the flesh they presumably "eat" going in their bodies and for what purpose....???   It is not as if they need nourishment of food and water, like a living human... If you think through any of this, it does not make much sense! 

Ok...ok, it is make-believe entertainment.  I get it.  For those of you who are movie buffs, you may remember the 1968 George Romero film that introduced flesh-eating zombies, called Night of the Living Dead.  It is considered the Grand Daddy of the zombie film genre.   In addition to TWD series, we have seen subsequent zombie films of various quality including the relatively recent World War Z.

At least in the World War Z movie, the writers provided the audience with the premise that zombies do not have conscious thought or any cognitive problem solving ability since they do not actually think.  It was further explained that the virus would reactivate the most primitive portions of the brain of a dead person.  They included the following:
- the motor cortex, so that the zombie could walk, move arms and hands and bite things.
- the sensory cortex, so that the zombie can see, hear, and smell its prey.
- the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that controls hunger, which in this case never shuts off so the zombie is always hungry and always will bite humans and animals.
I guess that the writers of TWD just assumed that their audience would also be aware of this descriptive understanding of zombies, but it really is a big leap of faith, IMHO.  But in the name of entertainment, I do accept, with a leap of intellect-denying faith, that these zombies do exist in this Hollywood film and television dramas fictionalized apocalyptic world.

As a number of us have discussed in the "NJ Prepared" forum here on NJGF, I would be much more concerned and afraid of who the real "zombies" would be in a real life SHTF scenario.  As a probable consequence of either an EMP attack or a massive, country-wide and prolonged electrical power failure, the real zombies would be humans.  Humans from the inner large cities, who after less than two weeks, have become desperate for finding additional food and potable water in order to survive.  These urban dwellers would quickly shed our historically accepted and practiced modern norms of civil, law-abiding society in their frantic search for food and water.  They would quickly degenerate into like-minded mobs or gangs, intent on looting and scavenging wherever and from whomever they can forcibly obtain both of these basic necessities. 

Having said all this, I will admit that I am hooked out of continued curiosity, having faithfully watched every episode of TWD from Season 1 / Episode 1 through Season 9 / Episode 8 and will record the remaining episodes of Season 9 and watch them when I have time.  FWIW, my favorite characters that I enjoy watching, are Darrell and Carol, who I consider to both be truly independent and self-sufficient mavericks who know how to fight and survive, yet have not completely lost their moral and ethical compass, but will do what they have to in order to protect themselves and other members of their extended survivalist family/tribe.

FYI - I read today that TWD series has been renewed for a 10th season, which I find really ludicrous since they should just end it with a final episode in Season 9, IMHO.  Time to put this zombie series to bed.....!

AVB-AMG

14 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@AlDente67
As an Architect myself, I wondered the same thing when they first encountered the fortified planned, sustainable suburban town of Alexandria.  It really was overkill to have buttressed supports on both the inside and outside of the corrugated metal wall and presented an obvious potential means for other hostile humans outside the town to climb over the protective walls.  Using the buttressed timbers just on the inside, spaced closer together, would have been sufficient structurally to do the job.  Go figure...??

From what i understand the original idea was how steels deal with forces and from which direction.  Having them on the inside would have put Lateral on the supports and can buckle...  Placing them on the outside would only possibly break the support connections which are made to withstand tension forces with no chance to have the actual support fail due to lateral force.  

In the real world... inside supports are better as they are protected from the non zombies :)

I guess an easy way to look at it would be to push a straw on both ends and it would buckle... now attempt to stretch the straw, it will maintain its strength.

On 2/11/2019 at 8:02 AM, remixer said:

From what i understand the original idea was how steels deal with forces and from which direction.  Having them on the inside would have put Lateral on the supports and can buckle...  Placing them on the outside would only possibly break the support connections which are made to withstand tension forces with no chance to have the actual support fail due to lateral force.  

In the real world... inside supports are better as they are protected from the non zombies :)

I guess an easy way to look at it would be to push a straw on both ends and it would buckle... now attempt to stretch the straw, it will maintain its strength.

@remixer

We are not the only ones who have observed this simplistic design on TWD and have commented on it.  FWIW - Below is a sketch section diagram created by someone who has put more thought into what a preferable, as well as more effective design for a protective wall would entail, that could conceivable be constructed by the survivors in Alexandria:

AVB-AMG

image.png.0362ee35cc95488e71c0c35e968db64a.png

10 minutes ago, AVB-AMG said:

@remixer

We are not the only ones who have observed this simplistic design on TWD and have commented on it.  FWIW - Below is a sketch section diagram created by someone who has put more thought into what a preferable, as well as more effective design for a protective wall would entail, that could conceivable be constructed by the survivors in Alexandria:

AVB-AMG

image.png.0362ee35cc95488e71c0c35e968db64a.png

Oh no doubt there are better designs, i was only referring to the debate between interior vs exterior supports....

Just now, remixer said:

Oh no doubt there are better designs, i was only referring to the debate between interior vs exterior supports....

BTW can we submit this illustration to the White house?

17 minutes ago, Maksim said:

that moat needs... alligators. 

Did alligators survive? Or they turn zombie too?  Do Gators get fat if they eat a ton of zombies? 

no need for alligators... Make some kinda oil based flammable liquid that can be poured out and lit in case of attack by zombies or humans

2 hours ago, remixer said:

no need for alligators... Make some kinda oil based flammable liquid that can be poured out and lit in case of attack by zombies or humans

If you are contemplating a future of eating mass quantities of sorghum, I highly suspect that if that oil is edible you are eating it. 

Also gator is pretty tasty. Super tasty compared to starving or your 1987th batch of sorghum pancakes. 

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

that moat needs... alligators.

Did alligators survive? Or they turn zombie too?  Do Gators get fat if they eat a ton of zombies?

I’d use sharks, with frikin laser beams on their heads. Every creature deserves a hot meal...

• Haha 1

Muddling through Season 7 now (yes, binge watching).  One scene in an attack on Nagen has a dozen people on bikes (yay, finally), followed by gas/diesel panel trucks.  So I guess the fuel is still viable.  Since they are near cities, they could go to a car dealership and roll off with 20 cars.  Many of them can hotwire anyway.  Note to self...stock up on Sta-Bil.

I must say, the chief dude with the Tiger mauling people is badass.

And Darryl rocks.

The angst of the women staring at each other for minutes at a time gets old in 5 seconds.  Get over it sister!