Dommerc

Range Bag

Cant speak to either of those.   I have a GPS Tactical backpack in black that holds three handguns. http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/products/tactical-range-backpack/ 

They also make a larger version that holds 4:

http://www.goutdoorsproducts.com/products/tactical-range-backpack-tall/

Ii love mine, although I did cut off the "waist" straps as I will never be "backpacking" with it. Hopefully someone else on the forum has one or both of the two bags your looking at and can comment on them.  Alot of 5.11 fans here so I'd be shocked if nobody here used that bag.

My goto range bag is the one I got as a prize from Brownells for one of Area 8 matches.  It is the Brownells Signature Series Deluxe Bag.  A bit pricey BUT have had it through TSA checked baggage numerous times and holds up very well.  Only thing bad is that one of the zippers broke after the lock attached to them got caught.

Main issue with the bag, it is easy to overload it with stuff.

14 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I'm a huge fan of the MidwayUSA Competition Range Bag

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939221689/midwayusa-competition-range-bag

I'm on my 2nd one (1st one got flooded, thankfully with nothing in it, but beet juice makes a real mess of things) and would get another if neeeded.

The real question for @Dommerc is, what KIND of bag do you want?  fancy duffel style (like the midway bag), backpack, or something else?

If you're thinking backpack style, I'd go look at the Case Club one:

tactical-4-pistol-backpack-main-big1-768

funny, this topic is going on at THR at the same time.

my post from there...

I've had the older version of this for over 9 years, when it came as one SKU and just the price of the bag.  There was a recall shortly after I bought it about the strap, and they sent me a replacement strap without my even being involved in the process.  Other than that the bag's worked great for me.  It's starting to show some wear (and got flooded once) so it might need replacement.

eta: fixed links to the one that is actually mine.  Also, I paid $40 for mine back in 2010.  Next time they throw this bag on sale I might have to get another.

eta2: it should also be noted, that range bags seem to be like holsters; there's no single bag that will be useful for all situations.  I now have the big bag, several of their pistol bags (great for 1 gun and some ammo days), ammo cans with foam inserts (bought single and double gun), and a bunch of gun cases.
  • Like 1

Those midway bags are great.  And you are right,  it is a very personal choice.

I would say there is also a reason for more than one bag.    Depending on how much gear you may need to take with you.  Once again, VERY easy to overload a bag with stuff you may or may not use.

For matches, you will commonly see people take those little gardening wagons and load their gear into that.   Much better than lugging around a 50lb bag the entire day.

If going to a public range, I will just take a smaller bag as your space is limited.

Given the choice, I prefer a backpack, especially if I am just going to shoot handguns.

@Dommerc:

The previous posters all have offered some very good and practical suggestions.
FWIW, since 2016, I have had and been using the 5.11 Ranger Qualifier Bag 18L for several handguns and range accessories, such as eyes & ears protection, speed loader, small first-aid kit, small towel, etc.  If necessary, I can also fit 1-3 50-round boxes of 9mm ammo in it as well.   While it was a bit pricey with an MSRP of $80, the 600D all-weather polyester used on the exterior and 300D ployester inside lining, have both held up quite well, as have the sturdy YYK self-healing zippers.  I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for and so far I have not been disappointed.

On the other hand, I also had purchased from Beretta, their "High Performance Cartridge Bag with a separate bottom zippered compartment".  It was also not cheap, with an MSRP of $90.  I liked the design and it fit all of my shotgun accessories, including 100 shells.  The problem was that they skimped and used very cheap zippers.  Of course, the main zipper broke after about 6 weeks.  Beretta's customer service was very good and gave me a full credit for the defective bag, which I returned and they replaced with a new one, of the same design.  Of course, the zipper on that replacement bag also broke about 3 months of use.  Thankfully, they gave me a full credit to my C.C. once I sent them photos of the defective zipper.  About 5 months later, Beretta discontinued that line of bags, for obvious reasons.  So price, while usually is a good indicator of quality, it is not always the case.....

I hope this is all helpful.....

AVB-AMG

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MB24 said:

Does putting guns and ammo together in the same bag not qualify for transporting guns and ammo separately.

Not legal advice, ( not a lawyer) but I was told by many that as long as its in separate pockets. Example Backpack- guns in the large pouch, ammo in smaller separate pouch. 

4 hours ago, MB24 said:

Does putting guns and ammo together in the same bag not qualify for transporting guns and ammo separately.

As long as your mags are not loaded and in the gun ready to fire, you are generally fine. 

Just make sure gun is unloaded. The rest is up to you. 

I know folks who travel with loaded mags, and others who carry ammo in a separate locked ammo can. All comes down to your personal risk tolerance. (Beyond not traveling with a loaded firearm).

i've been quizzing different PD folks I run into on the loaded mag question .. roughly 2 dozen different officers from 5 or 6 different PD's over the last year and half or so .. its been roughly a 50/50 on the response.   50% say loaded mags are just load mags .. the other 50% has said its considered a loaded gun.   So personally I load my mags at the range. that 50/50 crap ain't worth the court battle or headache in my opinion