Samrothman13

FID Permit Advide Needed

Hello all, new here and would love some advice. I just applied for my FID and permit to purchase a pistol in Montair and I answered yes to question 26 due to seeing a psychiatrist about 10 years ago. The detective I spoke to was nice enough to not turn me away but told me I need a note from a psychiatrist, the issue is that my old psychiatrist is no longer practicing. 

Does anyone have any suggestions of who I can see or what to do?

Thanks all!

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

Moved.

In either case, have you asked the detectives?  I do however believe if anything, it would show up under the mental health records check. 

Maxim, sorry I might not have provided enough detail in my post. Because I answered yes to question 26 the detective told me I need to get a letter from a psychiatrist that provides answers to 10 or so questions, a few of which state I am of sound mind to possess a firearm and things of that effect. Since my previous psychiatrist is no longer practicing I am not sure how to handle. Basically I am looking for anyone else that has had a similar experience.

You are basically screwed. It will be real tough to find a new doc that is willing to do an evaluation and sign off on it. I think years ago there was a similar post here where the guy ended up having to go to some place that evaluates police but I don’t remember the details. Try and search for it  Good luck.

5 minutes ago, carl_g said:

You are basically screwed. It will be real tough to find a new doc that is willing to do an evaluation and sign off on it. I think years ago there was a similar post here where the guy ended up having to go to some place that evaluates police but I don’t remember the details. Try and search for it  Good luck.

Yeah I figured butn I also feel like someone has to know a decent psychiatrist that they used that signed off. I'm not saying I want them to sign off after the first time meeting them, but really moreso someone that is reasonablely supportive of the 2A. 

I have faced a Q#26 challenge myself and have posted my Q#26 advice here in the past.  Will try to locate it.  I cannot elaborate at the moment but will respond in more detail later today.   

I agree with those who have said you're basically fucked.

The Second Amendment is not a right here in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan, but a privilege granted by the state (and especially by your local Chief LEO) by way of exemption from the draconian and fascist laws laid out in 2C:39 and 2C:58 of the statutes.

24 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

I agree with those who have said you're basically fucked.

The Second Amendment is not a right here in the Glorious Peoples Republik of New Jerseystan, but a privilege granted by the state (and especially by your local Chief LEO) by way of exemption from the draconian and fascist laws laid out in 2C:39 and 2C:58 of the statutes.

Interestingly enough the detective I met with said that if I can get a letter and I pass the background check (which I know I will) I will be good to go, so we shall see.

Take heart. I don't have a copy of the ANJRPC newsletter handy (they get read and thrown out - I'm a hoarder but my SO is not), but I recall always seeing ads for psychiatrists that specialize in exactly what you are looking for. You may want to join the ANJRPC (they are the state affiliate of the NRA). Maybe somebody here on the forum has a copy of a newsletter and can help you out.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 hour ago, Pizza Bob said:

Take heart. I don't have a copy of the ANJRPC newsletter handy (they get read and thrown out - I'm a hoarder but my SO is not), but I recall always seeing ads for psychiatrists that specialize in exactly what you are looking for. You may want to join the ANJRPC (they are the state affiliate of the NRA). Maybe somebody here on the forum has a copy of a newsletter and can help you out.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Much appreciated!

Further to Pizza Bob's post, the psychologist who specializes in firearms evaluations is Dr Gianni Pirelli, Phd.  80 Pompton Avenue Suite 204 Verona, N.J.  07044 and 1 Cattano Avenue Morristown, NJ 07960.  (973-944-0810).  His website is www.gpirelli.com.

The aforementioned information is straight out his ad in the most recent ANJRPC newsletter page 28.

Dr Pirelli has been an occasional guest on Anthony Colandro's GunForHire podcast.  Highly recommend you look through past episodes and listen to the ones he has been on. 

Master podcast list w/o descriptions:  https://gunforhire.com/master-playlist/

iTtunes episode list WITH descriptions.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-gun-for-hire-radio-broadcast/id1180720262

Will get back to you regarding my earlier Q#26 post and guidance.

Could not find my specific old post I was looking for but did find another one(below) I had posted a few years ago on the topic of Q#26.  Your primary inquiry has been addressed above, but sharing this for further reference.

I assume your application is on hold pending you getting the required letter from a psychologist.  If so, once you obtain and provide the letter, hopefully things will progress smoothly.  HOWEVER if despite that, you are still presented with complications/reluctance from your local PD, then I would recommend you consult with a firearms attorney(refer to the ANJRPC website or newsletter for recommended attorneys).

The bottomline is once you start this process, you need to see it through it's successful conclusion(ie the issuance of your FID/P2Ps) no mattter what.   You don't want to be officially Denied and allow that to stand.

regards and good luck

PM me if I can be of further assistance.  Note that I am not a lawyer, although I did stay in a Holiday Inn last year.

p.s. Lastly, you are not "screwed".  You just need to persevere no matter what it takes.  In the end, it is worth it. 

"A few other considerations related to Q#26 in general:

- it is a felony to falsify your responses. So you must answer truthfully and be confident you can defend your answers should they ever be questioned in the future. (I.e. if you get caught lying, you are screwed.)

- once you answer “Yes”, you must always answer “Yes” in order to be consistent with your prior submissions. In my case, I have answered”Yes” on two subsequent P2P applictions and included a letter stating  that I answered Yes in order to be consistent with my earlier applications. In that letter, I also affirmed(truthfully) that there has been no further treatment bla bla bla.  These last two applications were routinely  processed and approved without any issues."

1 hour ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Further to Pizza Bob's post, the psychologist who specializes in firearms evaluations is Dr Gianni Pirelli, Phd.  80 Pompton Avenue Suite 204 Verona, N.J.  07044 and 1 Cattano Avenue Morristown, NJ 07960.  (973-944-0810).  His website is www.gpirelli.com.

The aforementioned information is straight out his ad in the most recent ANJRPC newsletter page 28.

Dr Pirelli has been an occasional guest on Anthony Colandro's GunForHire podcast.  Highly recommend you look through past episodes and listen to the ones he has been on. 

Master podcast list w/o descriptions:  https://gunforhire.com/master-playlist/

iTtunes episode list WITH descriptions.  https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-gun-for-hire-radio-broadcast/id1180720262

Will get back to you regarding my earlier Q#26 post and guidance.

I'll check him out, thank you!

33 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Could not find my specific old post I was looking for but did find another one(below) I had posted a few years ago on the topic of Q#26.  Your primary inquiry has been addressed above, but sharing this for further reference.

I assume your application is on hold pending you getting the required letter from a psychologist.  If so, once you obtain and provide the letter, hopefully things will progress smoothly.  HOWEVER if despite that, you are still presented with complications/reluctance from your local PD, then I would recommend you consult with a firearms attorney(refer to the ANJRPC website or newsletter for recommended attorneys).

The bottomline is once you start this process, you need to see it through it's successful conclusion(ie the issuance of your FID/P2Ps) no mattter what.   You don't want to be officially Denied and allow that to stand.

regards and good luck

PM me if I can be of further assistance.  Note that I am not a lawyer, although I did stay in a Holiday Inn last year.

p.s. Lastly, you are not "screwed".  You just need to persevere no matter what it takes.  In the end, it is worth it. 

"A few other considerations related to Q#26 in general:

- it is a felony to falsify your responses. So you must answer truthfully and be confident you can defend your answers should they ever be questioned in the future. (I.e. if you get caught lying, you are screwed.)

- once you answer “Yes”, you must always answer “Yes” in order to be consistent with your prior submissions. In my case, I have answered”Yes” on two subsequent P2P applictions and included a letter stating  that I answered Yes in order to be consistent with my earlier applications. In that letter, I also affirmed(truthfully) that there has been no further treatment bla bla bla.  These last two applications were routinely  processed and approved without any issues."

Awesome, thanks for the insight. Honestly that's why I answered yes, so as to not lie. I considered getting my record expunged but being that my psychiatrist doesn't practice anymore I figured it would be futile. I have called him a few times and he never returns my calls even though we had a good relationship.

I had to answer yes to #26 when I applied also, as I had seen a psychiatrist a couple times in grade school and early high school for ADHD. Detectives said it could be any psychiatrist who writes the letter, but they prefer the original one the applicant went to. I lucked out and my original guy was still working (which still seems like a miracle to me, cuz he seemed to be in his 80's when I was around 12, and at the time of applying it must've been almost 10-15 years later), and agreed to see me for a meeting and would write the letter for me. Hopefully things work out for you. Don't give up cuz of a bump or two in the process, that's what NJ wants you to do.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, OfcrFek said:

I had to answer yes to #26 when I applied also, as I had seen a psychiatrist a couple times in grade school and early high school for ADHD. Detectives said it could be any psychiatrist who writes the letter, but they prefer the original one the applicant went to. I lucked out and my original guy was still working (which still seems like a miracle to me, cuz he seemed to be in his 80's when I was around 12, and at the time of applying I must've been almost 10-15 years later), and agreed to see me for a meeting and would write the letter for me. Hopefully things work out for you. Don't give up cuz of a bump or two in the process, that's what NJ wants you to do.

Thanks for the encouragement!