1LtCAP

pocket knife

ok. somehow I lost my trusty Kershaw. so I need a new one. need to be able to open with 1 hand. not looking to spend lots of loot on this. it'll be in my pocket every single day and used for whatever comes up. would be nice if it held a blade too. 

suggestions?

If you don't mind sharpening the blade often, and are good at it, I recommend HD Coast brand.  They are not assisted open, but can easily be opened with one hand.  I have a razor sharp $20 Coast knife, but I have to sharpen it about once a week.

I've lost too many "good" knives while doing landscaping to justify buying a really good knife like a Benchmade.  If you can afford to loose a $150 knife, then, by all means, buy a really good knife.

btw, there should be a Murphy's law about pocket knives.  The more expensive the knife, the more likely you are to loose it. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Budget? that's a tough one for me. i bought the one i just lost about 5 or 6 years ago. it was something like 80 bucks. overall i was happy with it. i'm guessing there's not gonna be much out there decent for less than about 200 bucks?

Applications? again tough. pretty much anything i might need to take it outta my pocket for.

Design? flip blade. preferably some form of assistance opening. i haven't carried a pocket knife that required 2 hands to open since i stopped carrying my old boyscount knife.

Blade shape? pointy. :) i do tend to prefer blades with the sawtooth pattern at the base. if(when) i end up using it to strip a wire, that makes it stupid easy to do so.

Blade material?  i don't know enough about them currently to know which is best in this respect

Carry options? basic clip to hold it in my pocket. nothing complicated

8 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

If you don't mind sharpening the blade often, and are good at it, I recommend HD Coast brand.  They are not assisted open, but can easily be opened with one hand.  I have a razor sharp $20 Coast knife, but I have to sharpen it about once a week.

I've lost too many "good" knives while doing landscaping to justify buying a really good knife like a Benchmade.  If you can afford to loose a $150 knife, then, by all means, buy a really good knife.

btw, there should be a Murphy's law about pocket knives.  The more expensive the knife, the more likely you are to loose it. 

nope. i was/am pissed off that i lost one i paid 80 bucks for. and i bought that one 5 or 6 years ago

thing is.....i seem to recall one of you guys had started a thread some time ago about collecting knives. i'm no collector by any stretch(although i do have a few fairly nice i think bayonets). i figured that if you guys are collecting, then you've got great knowledge on something to carry.

and i need to get it quick. i friggin feel nekked without a knife in my pocket.

13 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

Blade material?  i don't know enough about them currently to know which is best in this respect

Here's a good article that explains the different blade steels.

https://gearjunkie.com/common-knife-blade-steels

Did you like the knife you lost?

Did it do everything you wanted it to do?

Did it have all of the attributes you were looking for?

If so, why reinvent the wheel? Just get the same knife again.

Don’t get bogged down in esoteric minutiae.  If it worked fine before it will work fine in the future. Don’t let a little knowledge that there may be something out there with better steel, or a better opening or locking method, or whatever it is, dissuade you from buying and using what works for you. If it served you fine before, it will surely serve you equally as well in the future.

• Agree 2

This is my EDC knife. Holds a nice edge and doesn’t break the bank. Love this knife. 

https://www.crkt.com/shop/m16-02s-classic.html

They also make it with a partially serrated edge. 

https://www.crkt.com/shop/m16-12z-tanto-with-triple-point-serrations.html

I had one. A micro-tech. I traded it to someone here for a nice Chris Reeves Sebenza folder.

The OTF knives have a high CDI factor, but once open they don’t do anything better than a folding knife of equal quality.

Personally, I like the wave feature on Emerson folding knives for fast and easy one handed opening - It’s almost as fast as a fixed blade.

34 minutes ago, fishnut said:

How do you like it? I've always wanted an OTF knife. Now that I can legally carry auto knives I'd like to add to the collection. 

Love it. The button is hard to move, so you couldn't accidentally move it or a child couldn't move it. It also has a glass break on the other end.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I had one. A micro-tech. I traded it to someone here for a nice Chris Reeves Sebenza folder.

The OTF knives have a high CDI factor, but once open they don’t do anything better than a folding knife of equal quality.

Personally, I like the wave feature on Emerson folding knives for fast and easy one handed opening - It’s almost as fast as a fixed blade.

I EDC a fixed blade and that will never change. I really just want an OTF just to play with and can't justify buying a micro tech just to flip open over and over again. 

Outside of an OTF Auto I feel the Benchmade Axis locks are the closest you can get to truly one hand opening AND closing.  There's lots of knives that open one handed but very few that are truly easy to close with just one hand.  I've only carried Axis Locks for the last few years for that reason, decided to get fancy and buy a Chris Reeve Sebenza with with Insingo blade and while using this weekend cut myself closing it one handed while on a ladder.  

Back to Benchmades for me... full size plain sebenza with almost no use may be up for sale soon!     

I paid ~ $85 for  a Benchmade Griptilian on sale a few years ago (can't remember where).  Regular street price you can find them for $100 pretty easily depending on steel.  

Any liner lock, frame lock, button lock, bolt action, axis lock, arc lock, ball bearing lock, paul lock, and a few others are definitely one hand opening and closing provided they come with a hole or stud on the blade for opening. 

Personally I like the spyderco knives with the ball bearing lock. It's like the axis lock, but uses common coil springs instead of the omega shaped leaf springs.