Underdog

Overwhelmed.... AR Build with acquiring Tools, etc.

What are some of your favorite AR tools?  What uppers can you put on a standard AR build... only 223 and 556?

I assume that this technique would be OK in NJ?  Will businesses mail an adjustable stock to me, or would it have to go to a FFL to be pinned?  Can I possess it or the barrel before they are pinned as long as they are not on a completed firearm?

How to pin your AR15 M4 stock-no holes!

On 2/3/2019 at 2:36 PM, Underdog said:

What are some of your favorite AR tools?  What uppers can you put on a standard AR build... only 223 and 556?

You can put any cal upper you want on as long as it is made for an AR15 lower and not an AR10. So take.your pick of anything from .22lr to 458socom and everything in between. 

As for tools, I haven't built an upper.......yet but all I've ever needed for a lower is a punch set, small hammer and a leatherman as far as tools go. I always say though the more tools the better so buy whatever tools you can afford. 

Putting an upper together is easier than it looks. All you really need is a vise, Bev block or reaction rod, an armorers wrench, torque wrench, punch set, some anti seize and a set of Allen keys to put most uppers together.go/no go gauges are nice to have too. Watch some videos and see what others use. You can buy all kinds of fancy tools but that's the basics. And yes, you can have an adjustable stock mailed right to your house as well as a barrel

upper is easier than lower and lower is eaaaaaaaasy:)

vice block

upper block so you don't bend/twist the upper

3/64-5/64 allen wrench

drill, 1/8 roll pin for the brake

grease

blue loctite

punch set

hammer

gauge to measure minimum 30lbs torque for barrel wrench

no go gauges but in reality, you can 'cheat' on this by using the bolt and an empty shell

I am actually excited to do it.   I am not in a rush.  All I still need is a buffer spring and a stock (I think).  I have a completed upper.  However, for the second build I want to build the upper as well.  Do you guys dimple the receiver plate? 

13 hours ago, fishnut said:

You can put any cal upper you want on as long as it is made for an AR15 lower and not an AR10. So take.your pick of anything from .22lr to 458socom and everything in between. 

As for tools, I haven't built an upper.......yet but all I've ever needed for a lower is a punch set, small hammer and a leatherman as far as tools go. I always say though the more tools the better so buy whatever tools you can afford. 

Don't forget... whether it is a Mil Spec Lower OR Commercial Colt.  Most are Milspec. =P

really don't need a lot in the way of specialty tools.. I own one AR specific tool and it is this.. 

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/372543/real-avid-ar-15-armorers-master-wrench?utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures&utm_content=372543&cm_mmc=pf_ci_google-_-Gunsmithing+-+Tools%2C+Jigs+%26+Fixtures-_-Real+Avid-_-372543&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7j5oPax4AIVBSaGCh15FgwVEAQYAiABEgIaefD_BwE

castle nuts are a huge pain with a shitty wrench.. this solves that problem.. I have built ARs in my lap with common and or modified standard tools...

the only exception is the barrel nut.. and that was done in a super ghetto way because I did not want to buy any special tools.. I just made  a U out of some 2x6 and bolted it down to wooden bench with the upper inside it.. to hold it while I applied the correct torque.. 

AR is basically legos.. 

• Like 1