My first pistol was a used 92fs inox in very good shape.  I love it.  I don't know how old it was when I got it, but i've had it well over 10 years.  On my last two range outings, I've experienced the oddest FTF pattern i've ever seen.  It FTF on the 4th round every time.  I thought maybe its the ammo, and tried three different brands, with 115gr and 124gr.  I used two different magazines.  I even stripped and cleaned between outings.  I fire three rounds and FTF on the fourth.  Clear the jam, 3 and FTF on the fourth.  Ive even tried using the rounds that FTF and put them in the first three with no issues, until the fourth round.  

Something mechanical must be going wrong.  Ive looked around and seen a few possible issues to try and solve this short of going to a gunsmith.  

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

6 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Jason,

I've had a similar issue with another handgun, and the issue turned out to be a weak recoil spring.  

I'd start there since they're cheap.

My $.02.

yes that was my guess from doing some looking around and I have ordered one, just looking for second opinions in case thats not it. 

2 minutes ago, JasonSeidman said:

yes that was my guess from doing some looking around and I have ordered one, just looking for second opinions in case thats not it. 

Well after you install it we will find out fairly quickly. Lol

1 minute ago, diamondd817 said:

When you say cleared the jam, do you mean you continued to fire the remaining rounds in the mag, or you removed the mags and reloaded them? In other words, did you fire the remaining 6 rds in each mag?

yes fired remaining rounds in mag, sometimes had to take mag out to clear jam, sometimes not, still would do 3 and jam.  Also, may be worth noting, these two prior outings were the first time in over a decade I had a FTF in this gun.  

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Well after you install it we will find out fairly quickly. Lol

lol true

Jason, Is this FTF a Failure To Feed or a Failure To Fire?

Is this a stock gun or do you have some custom work going on?

Are your magazine all roughly the same age and round count?

Are your mags OEM or aftermarket?

What steps do you need to do to clear the malfunction - Is it a simple immediate action (tap, roll/rack) or do you have to resort to remedial action (lock the slide back, remove mag, run the slide, reload) to clear it?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Jason, Is this FTF a Failure To Feed or a Failure To Fire?

Is this a stock gun or do you have some custom work going on?

Are your magazine all roughly the same age and round count?

Are your mags OEM or aftermarket?

What steps do you need to do to clear the malfunction - Is it a simple immediate action (tap, roll/rack) or do you have to resort to remedial action (lock the slide back, remove mag, run the slide, reload) to clear it?

Failure to feed.  Stock gun, never had work done on it, clean it myself.  One mag is OEM, one aftermarket.  Both came with it, aftermarket was thrown in by FFL new.    Usually tap roll rack, only one time  did I have to lock the slide back and get to work.  Out of caution, I do usually remove the mag and reinsert it to make sure its seated well after clearing.

• Informative 1

Ok. Couple more questions.

You are the only owner or did you buy it used?

Did the round that failed to feed leave the mag completely? Or was it half in/half out of the mag?

If it was contained wholly in the mag did it look like the top round in the mag was nose diving? Or was it nose up? Or did it look perfectly normal?

If half in/half out, did the round get caught in the breech or did the slide chew up the round at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Ok. Couple more questions.

You are the only owner or did you buy it used?

Did the round that failed to feed leave the mag completely? Or was it half in/half out of the mag?

If it was contained wholly in the mag did it look like the top round in the mag was nose diving? Or was it nose up? Or did it look perfectly normal?

If half in/half out, did the round get caught in the breech or did the slide chew up the round at all?

I bought it used, no idea on age, though I have had it for over 10 years.  I have never had a fail to feed in those ten years  (id guess 2-3000 through this firearm since I had it).  

yes left the mag and seemed to be 2/3 of its way to be chambered.  did not get chewed up, slide came forward but partially.  almost like cant or wont make its way up the feed ramp

2 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

Stock 10 round mags or 15 rounders that have been modified? We never had an issue with our 92FS, but now it is useless since I have no mags for it..........

I have had a factory 15 and aftermarket 10, ordered another 10 rounder with the recoil spring.  I don't have any modified mags.  

18 hours ago, sota said:

heh... range date? I have some factory 10 rnd mags you could try.

sounds good, my guide rod spring and a new mag should be here wednesday, going to EFGA with my buddy on sunday - will report back

3 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I think it's just a "NJ Gun" warming up for a 4 round mag limit.

Careful, maybe that will be the new regulation - forget mag limits, automated jams, requiring a physical clearing of the jam every 4th round :( 

17 hours ago, Underdog said:

Make sure that this gun is lubricated enough.  

20 hours ago, Zeke said:

Polish feed ramp.

There is only so much that can go wrong.

Im still with clapped mags / mag springs etc

Gun is well lubed, ramp is polished 

Just to confirm, are you using factory ammo?

Is it round nose FMJ or cop and baby killing hallow points? lol.

Can meet you at the range.

What I can think of... was if for some reason the round was getting caught up, particularly if you say it is the same round all of the time.

I.e. 4th round on a 10 round mag with 10 loaded?  Or 4th round on an 8 round loaded mag? =)  But once again, typically these are issues if you are using reloaded ammo that was loaded too long for your mags. 

3 hours ago, JasonSeidman said:

sounds good, my guide rod spring and a new mag should be here wednesday, going to EFGA with my buddy on sunday - will report back

um... can I possibly invite myself to join you? :D  I've been a member of EFGA for 2 years and still haven't yet managed to get out there. :D 

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• NJGF members in chat (2)

• Supporting Vendors

• Latest Topics

• Similar Content

• By Maksim
      I get emails from Davidson's and other distributors.  This week they are having a special on HK P30L in 40 S&W for $469.  Assume + shipping + dealer markup.

Also seems like a deal? on M9A3.

Also, the Walther Creed is $249.  This was actually a really nice gun when I got to play with it at Shot Show.  Surely better than the lower end Smiths, etc.

• By Maksim
      For Cyber Monday, Beretta is offering 30% off, site wide, on orders of $250 or more.
      One of the things they sell is magazines, such as for the 92FS and others.
      Right now you can triple dip on the discounts.
      Both the 15rnd and 10 rnd are on sale for $26, down from $36 and $29.  If you buy two or more, they go down to $24.
      If you buy 11, taking your total to over $250, you can use the Black Friday/Cyber Monday discount of 30% off, coupon code BF18.  This brings it down to $184.80 for 11 magazines, free shipping!

Link to Sale
    • By Kuryakin
      Beretta PX4 Storm .45ACP Special Duty Tactical.

Excellent condition. Approx. 450 rounds through the gun.

Comes with everything you see in the pictures:

3 magazines, 1 flush 9rd, and to 10rd extended,
      Original Pelican case, cleaning kit, manuals, oils, etc;
      Streamlight TLR-1,
      Safariland Level 2 holster (drop leg, mid-ride, and molle mounting options).

$800 O.B.O.

• By MiniArms
      The scale: 1: 5
      The caliber: 2mm
      Weight: 27 g
      How do you like it? The gun is made of nickel-based metal, which has the same hardness as weapon steel, but it is corrosion-resistant. It doesn’t require additional care, which distinguishes it from weapon steel. The guaranteed resource of the gun is 1000 shots. 
      10 special cartridges with hardened steel bullets. Such bullets do not deform when they hit any surface, they punch through even metal sheets, for example, cola cans. 
      Look at this gun in action:
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDknabx_Jcg&feature=youtu.be

• For the way it burst, it's not a real squib. It would have to be an underloaded cartridge that stopped basically right at the muzzle. This is unlikley but possible.  My guess is the following:  There's probably something wrong with the metal of the barrel. They got a bad batch of stainless with impurities or weird crystal structures or something. Much like SA did when they had the spate of stainless slides snapping off at the slide cut on their 1911s.  It is also not uncommon for the machining for a lever action with a tube magazine to negatively impact the boar as far as accuracy on a good sample, and this is often due to the machining changing the bore diameter or roundness.  Combine that with bum steel and the fact the angle on the dovetail is a stress riser, and one of two things happened.  1) It was a bad enough combination that it the bullets hammering into the bore constriction were able to basically split the end of the barrel open.  2) Lots of soft lead ammo was being shot, and the  bore restriction at the cut was effectively scraping off some lead and causing a build up until #1 happened.  #2 could in theory happen badly enough to kill a gun without bad steel being involved, but usually you stop shooting first and try to figure out why your gun is do horribly inaccurate.   
    • 12ga. Flash bangs .........don't know if they are Jersey Legal...used in Alaska quite a bit to move bears.
    • What article are you reading? At no point does he argue 300 million gun owners. He points out there are about 250 million adults in the us and the at least number for how many guns per capita are in circulation.  The biggest number he poses as actual resistance is the veteran population at about 20 million.  I'd argue that the scenario is very wrong as a whole, but more on that at the end.   The estimates are that the number of gun owners in the US are 100 million. The number that owns them is smaller than that.  The only ownership stat he gins up is that to get all the semi-autos, you would have to raid 9 million households. This is based on his estimate of number of semi-auto guns out there (which is probably conservative for the reason he states), and his math of netting 3 prohibited guns per raid. Which Is a number that may be high or low. I really can't say. LOTS of people tend to own way more than one semi auto rifle. On the other hand, how good would the data mining be to target things successfully? My guess is that the number of raids would have to be much higher because you would have WAY less than 100% accuracy on semi auto ownership.    This is where I think a whole bunch of people stop thinking rationally, and the author's nod to the IRA is apt, and it becomes important to keep in mind that the number of raids is seriously, seriously optimistic.  His math is a bit off. Doing some rounding to whole numbers, it's really 869 raids per team, and thus 869 raids per officer to hit that optimistic number. Assuming no attrition, casualties, etc.  There's ~100 million gun owners.  The question is how many of them do you get?  There's also another ~200 million non gun owners. the question is what will they put up with before they see the government as a problem?  Because the reality is you are likely going to have to kick down WAY more than 9 million doors to get them all. Even at 9 million, that's basically one in every 13 homes.  And that is if they ONLY ban semi auto rifles and things work out beyond optimistically. Realistically, even with high quality data mining, face to face sales, 80% receivers, etc will mean going to a number of households larger than that, AND so far the stupidity seems to want to include semi auto pistols. So... WAY. WAYYYYY more households than that.  But lets be kind and say double it.  That means kicking in the door of about 1 in 5 households. That will generate opinions amongst the populace.  And he already suggested how it would be organized. It'll be the guys you know and trust. You ahve a handful of buddies you have known forever? One of them jsut got capped by a SWAT team last weekend and you are getting together after the funeral for a drink and really pissed off? Maybe you get to talking about how some fuckers need to pay?  How many more people when they hear rumors of things that sound like they might be talking about you will give you a ring to let you know something might be happening but without putting any real skin in the game?  This is how it happens at the very least. More organized than that? Look at how many gangs we have in the US. They have their own governing documents and rules and such. They are arguably competing forms of government in some locations.  As a concept, the havock the IRA caused was with WAY less guns and with a peak of at best about 5000 active trouble makers. A lot more sympathetic ears and people willing to be low commitment on the fringe, but 5000 really problematic ones.    I do think he is optimistic about the retribution on the ruling class. I suspect it would look much more like enough cops get killed that the cops collect their pay checks while knowing the cops just don't go into that part of town for anything real.      I don't totally disagree with you. I have said before and I will say again that all politicians are scum. they don't care about anything but gathering power and influence and not wanting to work to retain it.  If a ban ever did come about, there would be NO intention of enforcing it thoroughly. Just like there has been zero attempt made to really enforce ANY gun control law to date thoroughly outside of already regulated entities.  Whenever something happens, nothing effective is suggested to prevent crime. What is suggested is  something that would make it harder to mint new gun owners and to stifle the existing social structures of gun owners.  Why? Because to the mind of a politician they see it as destroying a voting block that opposes them FOREVER. They will likely remain opposed, but opposed and unorganized and to diffuse into other voting blocks. They don't do anything about the crime because crime creates fear, and fear can be used to gather votes. Enforcement will be arbitrary and periodic so they can keep the former gon owning voting block afraid to stand up on the subject, and keep the anti-gun voting block intact and in fear of the evil criminal gun owners. Because if you actually solved the "problem" of gun owners, the anti-gunners could vote for whoever now. If you actually fixed the criminal problem, your voters who want law and order out of fear could go vote based on other priorities.  The only real point of conversations like this are to point out how people are being lied to, and how those who give a crap need to focus on the other strategies and put some effort into them.  IMO the real hazard for CW2.0 surrounding guns is that we DO get a half assed ban, and some politician thinks because they said it is so, it is truly so. And decides to do something else incredibly stupid that lets them find out how many guns they didn't actually confiscate. 
    • Remember, it only takes 3% to produce "change".. What could 3,000,000 "focused" individuals accomplish in the country? Averaged out, that would be 60,000 per state. Could 60,000 pissed off gun owners take over control of NJ? How about half that number?
    • Yes to be considered a farm and get the farmland accessment it must be 5 acres or more and you have to make over certian amount of money from the farm. But you dont need to own a farm to own livestock

Important Information