My first pistol was a used 92fs inox in very good shape.  I love it.  I don't know how old it was when I got it, but i've had it well over 10 years.  On my last two range outings, I've experienced the oddest FTF pattern i've ever seen.  It FTF on the 4th round every time.  I thought maybe its the ammo, and tried three different brands, with 115gr and 124gr.  I used two different magazines.  I even stripped and cleaned between outings.  I fire three rounds and FTF on the fourth.  Clear the jam, 3 and FTF on the fourth.  Ive even tried using the rounds that FTF and put them in the first three with no issues, until the fourth round.  

Something mechanical must be going wrong.  Ive looked around and seen a few possible issues to try and solve this short of going to a gunsmith.  

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jason

6 minutes ago, mustang69 said:

Jason,

I've had a similar issue with another handgun, and the issue turned out to be a weak recoil spring.  

I'd start there since they're cheap.

My $.02.

yes that was my guess from doing some looking around and I have ordered one, just looking for second opinions in case thats not it. 

2 minutes ago, JasonSeidman said:

yes that was my guess from doing some looking around and I have ordered one, just looking for second opinions in case thats not it. 

Well after you install it we will find out fairly quickly. Lol

1 minute ago, diamondd817 said:

When you say cleared the jam, do you mean you continued to fire the remaining rounds in the mag, or you removed the mags and reloaded them? In other words, did you fire the remaining 6 rds in each mag?

yes fired remaining rounds in mag, sometimes had to take mag out to clear jam, sometimes not, still would do 3 and jam.  Also, may be worth noting, these two prior outings were the first time in over a decade I had a FTF in this gun.  

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

Well after you install it we will find out fairly quickly. Lol

lol true

Jason, Is this FTF a Failure To Feed or a Failure To Fire?

Is this a stock gun or do you have some custom work going on?

Are your magazine all roughly the same age and round count?

Are your mags OEM or aftermarket?

What steps do you need to do to clear the malfunction - Is it a simple immediate action (tap, roll/rack) or do you have to resort to remedial action (lock the slide back, remove mag, run the slide, reload) to clear it?

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Jason, Is this FTF a Failure To Feed or a Failure To Fire?

Is this a stock gun or do you have some custom work going on?

Are your magazine all roughly the same age and round count?

Are your mags OEM or aftermarket?

What steps do you need to do to clear the malfunction - Is it a simple immediate action (tap, roll/rack) or do you have to resort to remedial action (lock the slide back, remove mag, run the slide, reload) to clear it?

Failure to feed.  Stock gun, never had work done on it, clean it myself.  One mag is OEM, one aftermarket.  Both came with it, aftermarket was thrown in by FFL new.    Usually tap roll rack, only one time  did I have to lock the slide back and get to work.  Out of caution, I do usually remove the mag and reinsert it to make sure its seated well after clearing.

• Informative 1

Ok. Couple more questions.

You are the only owner or did you buy it used?

Did the round that failed to feed leave the mag completely? Or was it half in/half out of the mag?

If it was contained wholly in the mag did it look like the top round in the mag was nose diving? Or was it nose up? Or did it look perfectly normal?

If half in/half out, did the round get caught in the breech or did the slide chew up the round at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Ok. Couple more questions.

You are the only owner or did you buy it used?

Did the round that failed to feed leave the mag completely? Or was it half in/half out of the mag?

If it was contained wholly in the mag did it look like the top round in the mag was nose diving? Or was it nose up? Or did it look perfectly normal?

If half in/half out, did the round get caught in the breech or did the slide chew up the round at all?

I bought it used, no idea on age, though I have had it for over 10 years.  I have never had a fail to feed in those ten years  (id guess 2-3000 through this firearm since I had it).  

yes left the mag and seemed to be 2/3 of its way to be chambered.  did not get chewed up, slide came forward but partially.  almost like cant or wont make its way up the feed ramp

2 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

Stock 10 round mags or 15 rounders that have been modified? We never had an issue with our 92FS, but now it is useless since I have no mags for it..........

I have had a factory 15 and aftermarket 10, ordered another 10 rounder with the recoil spring.  I don't have any modified mags.  

18 hours ago, sota said:

heh... range date? I have some factory 10 rnd mags you could try.

sounds good, my guide rod spring and a new mag should be here wednesday, going to EFGA with my buddy on sunday - will report back

3 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I think it's just a "NJ Gun" warming up for a 4 round mag limit.

Careful, maybe that will be the new regulation - forget mag limits, automated jams, requiring a physical clearing of the jam every 4th round :( 

17 hours ago, Underdog said:

Make sure that this gun is lubricated enough.  

20 hours ago, Zeke said:

Polish feed ramp.

There is only so much that can go wrong.

Im still with clapped mags / mag springs etc

Gun is well lubed, ramp is polished 

Just to confirm, are you using factory ammo?

Is it round nose FMJ or cop and baby killing hallow points? lol.

Can meet you at the range.

What I can think of... was if for some reason the round was getting caught up, particularly if you say it is the same round all of the time.

I.e. 4th round on a 10 round mag with 10 loaded?  Or 4th round on an 8 round loaded mag? =)  But once again, typically these are issues if you are using reloaded ammo that was loaded too long for your mags. 

3 hours ago, JasonSeidman said:

sounds good, my guide rod spring and a new mag should be here wednesday, going to EFGA with my buddy on sunday - will report back

um... can I possibly invite myself to join you? :D  I've been a member of EFGA for 2 years and still haven't yet managed to get out there. :D 

• Haha 1