voyager9

Burglars break in to cars/homes in Evesham/Mount Laurel

The state police helicopter woke me up at about 5:45 as he was slowly passing over my house.  It sounded like a large water main broke.  He then moved off and hovered for almost a half hour over a neighborhood right down the road.  Hell of a thing to get woken out of a sound sleep by that noise.  They still have not caught any of these guys.  Breaking into cars around here is getting to be a pretty normal thing.  The police have reminded residents in Evesham several times in the recent past to lock their cars and homes.  Some people don’t listen.  The scary part is now they adding trying to get into your home to their car break in routine.

31 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What about this?

81OWaz9KYvL._SX355_.jpg

I’m having a beware of HK sign made up, lol. All kidding aside it’s 11 yards from my bedroom door to my front door. Better believe i practice a lot at 11 yards. I can shoot from cover and land nice tight groups

8 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

I’m having a beware of HK sign made up, lol. All kidding aside it’s 11 yards from my bedroom door to my front door. Better believe i practice a lot at 11 yards. I can shoot from cover and land nice tight groups

Just make sure you have a weapon light. That's the only way to do H.D. (so I'm told).

• Agree 1

16 hours ago, voyager9 said:

https://6abc.com/band-of-burglars-break-into-cars-homes-in-evesham-twp/5120646/

Reminder: have locks, dogs, cameras... and then guns if those fail.

I’m so bad with my truck. Bout 2 months or so ago we got some miscreants on camera trying to open my wife’s car. Or perhaps cking to see if it was unlocked. 

3 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

Right down the road from me. 

Those guys were pros. I'm sure the weapons they are carrying are NJ compliant. 

I HIGHLY doubt they were carrying weapons.

These guys were pro and those pros perfectly well know...

If getting caught, it would be a difference between "breaking and entering" vs "Armed Robbery"

HUGE differences.

If you are home... I would not be too worried about these guys.

What I am worried about is a crackhead who needs money for the next fill.  THOSE guys would likely have guns.

• Agree 1

that's the rub isn't it?????  the courts, the liberal jerk offs in this state don't get it at all.  If someone is brazen enough to come into my home, I should be allowed to expect the worse and act accordingly.  Look at the family in CT for further validation of this.

My family comes first, their protection is paramount and someone coming in is a very real threat

• Agree 3

8 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

My family comes first, their protection is paramount and someone coming in is a very real threat

But, it just could be your drunk neighbor stumbling into the wrong house at 2 AM through your locked and dead bolted doors and activated alarm system. You just can't assume that it's a bad guy in that instance, right?

52 minutes ago, Maksim said:

If you are home... I would not be too worried about these guys.

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That is my primary reason for home defense. Not the pros.

Are you 2 joking? Seriously, my chin is on the floor! I'm flabbergasted by your comments.

Anyone who breaks into your home in order to steal your belongings is a MAJOR threat IMO. Criminals (even "pros") escalate from property crimes to violent crimes ALL THE TIME, particularly if they're surprised, cornered, etc. Most criminals don't start out as hardened violent criminals, after all -  some start out their career with minor property crimes and it all just goes downhill from there.

Though I agree that someone looking for a fix is a bad thing, I would NEVER assume that a "professional thief" (whatever the hell that is!) who broke into my home poses anything less than a threat to my life (or the lives of others in the house) - I don't think you should either. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Are you 2 joking? Seriously, my chin is on the floor! I'm flabbergasted by your comments.

Anyone who breaks into your home in order to steal your belongings is a MAJOR threat IMO. Criminals (even "pros") escalate from property crimes to violent crimes ALL THE TIME, particularly if they're surprised, cornered, etc. Most criminals don't start out as hardened violent criminals, after all -  some start out their career with minor property crimes and it all just goes downhill from there.

Though I agree that someone looking for a fix is a bad thing, I would NEVER assume that a "professional thief" (whatever the hell that is!) who broke into my home poses anything less than a threat to my life (or the lives of others in the house) - I don't think you should either. 

No... am not kidding. Just look at these guys in the video.  They were fully covered, did not want to be seen and ran away AS SOON as they saw someone is inside.

A Professional thief IS NOT going to break into your home if you are there.

A professional thief wants to get in, get out.  This is why you leave lights on, have cars in drive way, to give appearance that you are home.  Same thing with a dog.

Don't get me wrong, if they are breaking into my home, I am reaching for the gun... but I just don't believe they are stupid enough for that.

You generally do not have to be worried about these guys.

People who break into your home AND DONT CARE that you are home... are the ones that have no issues about hurting you... or themselves, and those guys are the ones I am really concerned about.  

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Anyone who breaks into your home in order to steal your belongings is a MAJOR threat IMO.

Joking... no,  just qualifying...

I'd doubt a "pro" would try to break in and rob you if he knew you were home, unless he had a vendetta.

A "tweaker" on the other hand, just needs a quick smash and grab, and doesn't normally use common sense, so in their case, they would be more likely to run into a armed homeowner at the wrong time.

I treat ANYONE coming in uninvited as a threat. Even my kids know not to stop in unannounced or surprise me without warning. That's why it's my dog's job to be the first welcoming committee. The second welcoming committee (me) won't be as nice!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Im going to go ahead and assume that once someone has broken , climbed over my gate /fence. Then continue to break in to my house/door/window and trespass into my home they are the enemy. They are an immediate threat to my family. If they haven't realized that someone is home, shame on them. If they aren't faster then me, shame on them. 

In that moment I will become triggered and begin to identify as a Texas resident and exercise my constitutional right to defend myself. 

I pray to God that it never happens but if it does.... I'm good to go. 

19 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Reminder: have locks, dogs, cameras... and then guns if those fail.

The number one piece of home protection I have is my video security systems. It's been proven, more that once, that video evidence is the best way to catch these knuckleheads either during or after their fun. All the other layers of deterrence and protection comes after the video systems.

4 hours ago, Maximus said:

Breaking into cars around here is getting to be a pretty normal thing.

I read the police blotter each week to see what's going on. I get a laugh after all the "car break-ins" reported. In just about EVERY case, there was no "break-in" because the owners just left the cars unlocked. All the thief had to do is open the door.. :fool:

Even in the video in the OP,  the thief was caught on camera walking up to the car door, it was locked, so he just walked away.

First rule of defense, LOCK YOUR DOORS!!! (on your car and house).

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sniper said:

The number one piece of home protection I have is my video security systems. It's been proven, more that once, that video evidence is the best way to catch these knuckleheads either during or after their fun. All the other layers of deterrence and protection comes after the video systems.

I read the police blotter each week to see what's going on. I get a laugh after all the "car break-ins" reported. In just about EVERY case, there was no "break-in" because the owners just left the cars unlocked. All the thief had to do is open the door.. :fool:

Even in the video in the OP,  the thief was caught on camera walking up to the car door, it was locked, so he just walked away.

First rule of defense, LOCK YOUR DOORS!!! (on your car and house).

Agree 100%! 

Lets be honest... but don't answer here... how many of us have at one time or another left the back door open? lol.  

Thieves don't need to break in, it was already open. 

And just like you said... the pros are not breaking into your home when you are visibly there unless they WANT YOU!  

And those police blotters... hell of a thing.  

Living in suburbia, in a "good area," tons of folks just kept their cars and doors unlocked.   Heck, my winter beater is outside unlocked right now anyway. lol.  

16 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

4 guys..10 rounds...Maybe not so easy.  If they  are jacked up on crack or PCP  they might not go down with the first shot.  Always have a spare mag or 2 ready!

One of the best suggestions I heard for this... and what we have.  Pick up one of those USPSA rigid belts, complete with a holster and magazine pouches.  Have that belt near you somewhere, already loaded with the mags.  This way, when you need to go, you have a belt with all of your ammo and a holster.

This is critical if say you have a gun but need hands to pick up children, etc.  This way you already have a place to put the gun too.  IIRC this was @GAPP

5 minutes ago, Maksim said:

One of the best suggestions I heard for this... and what we have.  Pick up one of those USPSA rigid belts, complete with a holster and magazine pouches.  Have that belt near you somewhere, already loaded with the mags.  This way, when you need to go, you have a belt with all of your ammo and a holster.

This is critical if say you have a gun but need hands to pick up children, etc.  This way you already have a place to put the gun too.  IIRC this was @GAPP

that's a good idea, you should provide a link for this as well so the masses can get one.

I also recommend 10/30s as they are easy to grip and rip

Just now, myhatinthering said:

that's a good idea, you should provide a link for this as well so the masses can get one.

I also recommend 10/30s as they are easy to grip and rip

Will do, it is a standard duty or rigid belt like CR Speed, Double Alpha, or Safariland and attached to it are mag holders and a holster from like Safariland.  These are generally the belt systems that have the soft velcro inner belt, and the rigid outer belt.  The Safariland outer belt  will hang on to you, even if you are in your underwear by the front metal clips.  

This is also good if let's say you are starting with your handgun by you, and then eventually get to a rifle or shotgun if you need it.

Think about it, unless you are sleeping in your 5.11 tactical pants... you will need a place to carry mags and gun.  Far quicker to wrap around a belt with your gear on it than it is to put on pants.  

The big one for me was... okay... I can carry one daughter in one arm while holding the gun with the other... what if I need to carry them both?  So a spare gun games belt outfitted for my 1911 has 5 loaded mags in mag pouches by the bed.  With the gun, that is 60 rounds.  If I need more... I am f*cked.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

4 guys..10 rounds...Maybe not so easy.  If they  are jacked up on crack or PCP  they might not go down with the first shot.  Always have a spare mag or 2 ready!

I always have a spare mag sitting next to what ever "tool" I need to grab. I can stick it in a back pocket, or even in my skivvies, if necessary.

Hell, if I can't stop a threat with 30 rounds, oh wait, did I say that, I mean 20 rounds, :mosking: well, I'm probably already dead at that point!

40 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Pick up one of those USPSA rigid belts, complete with a holster and magazine pouches.  Have that belt near you somewhere, already loaded with the mags.  This way, when you need to go, you have a belt with all of your ammo and a holster.

I think you need to post a picture of yourself wearing yours in your boxers. That would be awesome! :yahoo:

Just for educational reasons....

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

I think you need to post a picture of yourself wearing yours in your boxers. That would be awesome! :yahoo:

Just for educational reasons....

I am not a boxers guy... boxer briefs.... so no. lol.

Although IIRC there may be a picture of a certain member posing with a shotgun half naked circling around the interwebs!