voyager9

Burglars break in to cars/homes in Evesham/Mount Laurel

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

One of the best suggestions I heard for this... and what we have.  Pick up one of those USPSA rigid belts, complete with a holster and magazine pouches.  Have that belt near you somewhere, already loaded with the mags.  This way, when you need to go, you have a belt with all of your ammo and a holster.

This is critical if say you have a gun but need hands to pick up children, etc.  This way you already have a place to put the gun too.  IIRC this was @GAPP

This was discussed in great detail in one of the Holster threads. I think a few posted pics of their setups. It was very informative. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaddyNick said:

In that moment I will become triggered and begin to identify as a Texas resident and exercise my constitutional right to defend myself. 

Unfortunately, this ain’t Texas, where if someone is on, or enters your property after dark, it is presumed they are there to do you harm. 

I think you need to take each situation as it is, and use your best judgement to decide how to act. 

I also think the presumption that a ‘professional thief’ who breaks into your house isn’t there to harm you is bad advice. Anyone who breaks into your house has the POTENTIAL to do you, or your family, harm. I don’t think it’s safe to say that they won’t. 

Judge every situation for what it is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Unfortunately, this ain’t Texas, where if someone is on, or enters your property after dark, it is presumed they are there to do you harm. 

I think you need to take each situation as it is, and use your best judgement to decide how to act. 

I also think the presumption that a ‘professional thief’ who breaks into your house isn’t there to harm you is bad advice. Anyone who breaks into your house has the POTENTIAL to do you, or your family, harm. I don’t think it’s safe to say that they won’t. 

Judge every situation for what it is. 

Believe me, I am not disagreeing that anyone breaking into your home is a bad idea... I am merely saying that your typical professional thief who is taking the time to cover their face and doing research is not likely to run into you while you are at home, i.e. the guys being discussed here.

Anyone uninvited breaking into your home is bad news and should be treated as such.  I am saying more than likely, the ones you WILL have to face, face to face, are crack heads OR someone who is out to cause you harm specifically. 

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

I have it, but the one posted here was long since deleted years ago after one or more forum updates.

I still have it... just choosing not to post it. =) 

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Related image

Wait, can we arrange a hunting trip between Putin and Dick Cheney? 

We dealt with this a year or so ago. Our town kept getting hit by people ransacking cars that weren't locked. I was just really surprised that so many people leave their cars unlocked. It's real crappy what happened to them. But if someone has the balls to make it to my bedroom after breaking through a deadbolt, my loud ass alarm system, and my two dogs, I feel like they've been given all the warning in the world to leave.

• Like 1

Good neighborhood = false sense of security.

I understand leaving a car with dead battery unlocked... BUT yeah... plenty do.  I would also think at least 1 in 3 or 4 houses, during the time someone is there, at least one door is unlocked. 

This group sounded very car-focused. They could be hitting the houses looking for keys near the front door/entryway. Would be easy/quick to smash in, grab the keys, and be out of the driveway before the homeowner got their shoes on. And even if the homeowner caught them, they would get jammed up in this state for engaging. 

Just now, Zeke said:

Stop making stuff up!

Scenarios or words?  Because I’m pretty sure a homeowner would get new bracelets and orange outfits if he shot someone in their driveway.  Even if they had just kicked in the door and grabbed keys. 

17 hours ago, voyager9 said:

Scenarios or words?  Because I’m pretty sure a homeowner would get new bracelets and orange outfits if he shot someone in their driveway.  Even if they had just kicked in the door and grabbed keys. 

Shooting , yes one would be in trouble. But why shoot someone when they are not threatening your life? 

However you can still give them a good old fashioned ass kicking. 

There is more than one way to engage someone 

21 hours ago, Maksim said:

Good neighborhood = false sense of security.

I understand leaving a car with dead battery unlocked... BUT yeah... plenty do.  I would also think at least 1 in 3 or 4 houses, during the time someone is there, at least one door is unlocked. 

My neighborhood to a tee.  A few times a year one of the neighbors comes knocking, door to door to see if anyone saw anything because their car was robbed.  And yes, all of them leave their cars unlocked.

And my neighborhood has plenty of cameras, bad guys just cover their face in a hoodie and even the best cameras can't make out who they are.

58 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

And my neighborhood has plenty of cameras, bad guys just cover their face in a hoodie and even the best cameras can't make out who they are.

But even in the case of a hoodie, if you have the video, 9 out of 10 times the cops will recognize them. They're usually repeat offenders or the cops have run into them before.

Video evidence is way better than any audible alarm system.

19 minutes ago, Sniper said:

But even in the case of a hoodie, if you have the video, 9 out of 10 times the cops will recognize them. They're usually repeat offenders or the cops have run into them before.

Video evidence is way better than any audible alarm system.

Video is better at catching the person after the fact.

Audio is better at scaring away the person before the fact. 

10 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Concur. Video is not a deterrent. And a bold assumption thinking it’s local habitual offenders. 

Lock your doors. Light up your world. Don’t advertise, tv box and old tv outside. Etc.

My problem with our motion vid cameras is I get a lot of false positives. So I tend to ignore the notifications. That’s a me problem though.

4 hours ago, fishnut said:

Shooting , yes one would be in trouble. But why shoot someone when they are not threatening your life? 

However you can still give them a good old fashioned ass kicking. 

There is more than one way to engage someone 

Agree. It’s why LE carries pepper spray, tasers, firearms, batons, etc.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

So, you have a external motion activated siren that goes off every time the UPS guy or mailman (or the neighbor's dog) passes your car in the driveway?

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Video is not a deterrent. And a bold assumption thinking it’s local habitual offenders. 

Who said it was a deterrent? Reading comprehension. Video is used to CATCH the dudes, and in the majority of the time, it IS repeat offenders in town.

Just now, Sniper said:

So, you have a external motion activated siren that goes off every time the UPS guy or mailman (or the neighbor's dog) passes your car in the driveway?

Who said it was a deterrent? Reading comprehension. Video is used to CATCH the dudes, and in the majority of the time, it IS repeat offenders in town.

How about writing comprehension?  You never mentioned motion-activated anything.  Just that video is better than audio.  I’m not disagreeing with you but it depends what the goal is.   

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

How about writing comprehension?  You never mentioned motion-activated anything.  Just that video is better than audio.  I’m not disagreeing with you but it depends what the goal is.   

Well, then clarify, how do you scare off guys that are trying to break into your car at night with audio?