silverado427

Cali plane crash caught on nest camera

2 hours ago, Handyman said:

What's with the noise? It sounds like it's crashing, then gets quiet, then smoking wreck. Did it break apart in the air?

I believe the plane broke up in air. And that noise sounded like the airplane was in a nose dive

sounded like he was in a dive. engines sounded to be way over-revved. they said it broke up in the air in an article i'd read, but that's not very common. i noticed it's raining. wondering if he flew into a cloud, and lost his orientation.

Just now, 1LtCAP said:

sounded like he was in a dive. engines sounded to be way over-revved. they said it broke up in the air in an article i'd read, but that's not very common. i noticed it's raining. wondering if he flew into a cloud, and lost his orientation.

Below mins? Good point! The ifr tricks of accelerating and doubting the instruments.

Another report has the plane breaking up and catching fire in the air. There's a dash cam video at this link:'

Newly released video shows the moment a small plane burst into flames Sunday just before it crashed into a Southern California home, killing the pilot and four people on the ground.

In dashcam video released Monday, the plane is seen already on fire as it falls from the sky towards the residential area. A trail of dark smoke and flames is visible before the aircraft crashes into the house.

"The witnesses I've spoken with say that they saw the airplane coming out of the clouds — it was still in one piece — and then they saw the tail breaking off and then the wing breaking off and then something like smoke before the airplane impacted the ground," Maja Smith, an investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, said Monday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/plane-seen-bursting-into-flames-before-crashing-into-southern-california-home

OK, this whole story is getting weirder and weirder...

First, here's a report of the actual flight.... What was he doing???

...."Pastini's 414A Cessna took off from Fullerton Municipal Airport in Orange County 1:35 p.m. Sunday.

According to the National Transportation Safety Board, radar showed he climbed to 7,800 feet before the aircraft rapidly descended.

Witnesses said the aircraft was breaking up on the way down."

https://www.recordcourier.com/news/ruhenstroth-man-identified-as-pilot-in-yorba-linda-crash/

Now the next weird thing:

YORBA LINDA, Calif. (KABC) --A pilot was carrying credentials that falsely identified him as a retired Chicago police officer when his Cessna crashed into a Yorba Linda neighborhood Sunday, killing him and four others, authorities said.

It was not immediately clear why the man, identified as 75-year-old Antonio Pastini, was in possession of the fake credentials. According to authorities, his other identification details and his Federal Aviation Administration pilot's license are still believed to be authentic.

https://abc7.com/yorba-linda-plane-crash-pilots-false-credentials-idd-him-as-ex-chicago-police-officer/5121959/

And, here is another dash cam video. Look way out straight ahead, right above the tree line, and you'll see the plane explode in the air.

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

Below mins? Good point! The ifr tricks of accelerating and doubting the instruments.

dude, you've no clue. I've had cfi's take me up in to clouds. I had one had me fly out over the ocean(only about 1/4 mile) at night. one used to do an exercise with me to simulate me having fallen asleep. he'd have me wear the foggles(google it, lolol), then hang my head down eyes closed. he'd make like we were on a roller coaster. accelerate, decelerate, climb, dive, turn, etc....then I had to regain control. it is utterly amazing how badly your mind can trick you in an airplane. 

one of those times, I was getting cocky, 'cause i'd recovered unexpectedly fast. so he started talking to me about other things. asked me about drag racing. i'm explaining how bracket racing works to him, when he interrupts and goes...….how come you're in a turning descent?  what happened you may ask? since I was paying more attention to talking than flying....I let my mind/body tell me what to do. they kept telling me we were climbing left. so I kept correcting by pushing slightly forward and turning right. 

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

Another report has the plane breaking up and catching fire in the air. There's a dash cam video at this link:'

Newly released video shows the moment a small plane burst into flames Sunday just before it crashed into a Southern California home, killing the pilot and four people on the ground.

In dashcam video released Monday, the plane is seen already on fire as it falls from the sky towards the residential area. A trail of dark smoke and flames is visible before the aircraft crashes into the house.

"The witnesses I've spoken with say that they saw the airplane coming out of the clouds — it was still in one piece — and then they saw the tail breaking off and then the wing breaking off and then something like smoke before the airplane impacted the ground," Maja Smith, an investigator with the National Transportation Safety Board, said Monday.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/plane-seen-bursting-into-flames-before-crashing-into-southern-california-home

that video shows it already in what is essentially vertical descent just before it blows.....

It’s being discussed a lot on the pilot boards.  Possibly icing, possible disorientation, leading to loss of control followed by exceeding the maximum speed at which the airframe could maintain structural integrity.  That seems to be the preferred hypotheses, Anyway.   NTSB preliminary report should be out in a day or so, but they rarely identify a cause. The final report probably will, but it won’t be out for months. 

20 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

dude, you've no clue. I've had cfi's take me up in to clouds. I had one had me fly out over the ocean(only about 1/4 mile) at night. one used to do an exercise with me to simulate me having fallen asleep. he'd have me wear the foggles(google it, lolol), then hang my head down eyes closed. he'd make like we were on a roller coaster. accelerate, decelerate, climb, dive, turn, etc....then I had to regain control. it is utterly amazing how badly your mind can trick you in an airplane. 

one of those times, I was getting cocky, 'cause i'd recovered unexpectedly fast. so he started talking to me about other things. asked me about drag racing. i'm explaining how bracket racing works to him, when he interrupts and goes...….how come you're in a turning descent?  what happened you may ask? since I was paying more attention to talking than flying....I let my mind/body tell me what to do. they kept telling me we were climbing left. so I kept correcting by pushing slightly forward and turning right. 

Hood never bothered me. But putting my head down or closing my eyes for these things would mess me up big time. 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Hood never bothered me. But putting my head down or closing my eyes for these things would mess me up big time. 

that was the whole idea of the exercise. I always found it to be a blast. I love this particular cfi too, 'cause he doesn't teach like it's a job. he teaches like he's teaching his son or daughter to fly. 

If anyone is still following, the NTSB preliminary report came out--it took a lot longer than usual.   It could be a long wait for the final report.  It strongly hints at weather being the cause, and confirms the in-flight break-up, which we already knew.

Accident Number: WPR19FA079
Date & Time: 02/03/2019, 1345 PST
Aircraft: Cessna 414
Injuries: 5 Fatal, 2 Serious
Flight Conducted Under: Part 91: General Aviation - Personal

On February 3, 2019, at 1345 Pacific standard time, a Cessna 414, N414RS, experienced an in-flight breakup over Yorba Linda, California, about 11 miles west of the departure airport Fullerton Municipal Airport (FUL), Fullerton, California. The pilot and four individuals on the ground sustained fatal injuries, two individuals on the ground sustained serious injuries and the airplane was destroyed. The airplane was registered to and operated by the private pilot as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 cross-country personal flight. Visual meteorological conditions (VMC) prevailed over the accident location, and no flight plan was filed. The flight departed at 1339, with a planned destination of Minden-Tahoe Airport (MEV), Minden, Nevada.

Radar and audio communications data provided by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) revealed that after departing FUL, the pilot initiated a climbing left turn to the east. Visual meteorological conditions (VMC) existed at the departure airport, however, preliminary information indicated that the weather transitioned to instrument meteorological conditions (IMC) with precipitation, microburst and rain showers over the accident area. During the take-off clearance, the FUL tower air traffic controller cautioned the pilot regarding deteriorating weather, about 4 miles east of FUL. Radar data showed that 5 1/2 minutes after takeoff, the airplane had climbed to an altitude of about 7,800 ft above ground level before it started a rapid descending right turn and subsequently impacted the ground.

Numerous witnesses who were located near the accident site, saw the airplane exit the clouds at a high rate of descent before parts of the airplane started to break off. One witness reported that he, "observed an aircraft emerge from the overcast layer on a northwesterly heading with a nose down pitch of approximately 60 degrees, pointed directly at my location with no discernable movement. It remained in that attitude for approximately 4 to 5 seconds before initiating a high-speed dive recovery. Approaching the bottom of the recovery the aircraft began to roll to its right. As it did, the left horizontal stabilizer departed the aircraft, immediately followed by the remainder of the empennage. The left wing then appeared to shear off just outside of the number one (left) engine igniting the left wing. After which, the aircraft disappeared behind the hill to the northeast of the observed location, trailing flames behind it. The sound of an explosion and large plume of black smoke immediately followed."

Examination of the accident site revealed that the wreckage debris was scattered throughout a neighborhood area about 1,000 ft long and 800 ft wide on a south-to-north orientation. At the far south parameter of the debris field were tail sections. The far north area contained the left engine, and left propeller and the fuselage. About 700 ft north-east from the first recovered piece of debris, the right engine and the right propeller impacted an asphalt road, and came to rest in a nearby front yard. The left wing was found about 716 ft north of the first recovered piece of debris, about 140 ft south-west of a burned house. Within the house, fragments of the outboard right wing (which also contained the fuel tank) were located. The fuselage with the attached right inboard wing, along with the left propeller and left engine were located about 310 ft downhill from the burned house on a heading of 310.

The wreckage was recovered and moved to a secure location for future examination.