carl_g

NJ “Rain Tax”

Apparently a bill has passed and is awaiting the Governer’s signature that will tax people for having parking lots or large paved areas. They say the tax addresses the need to handle toxic run off during/after storms.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2019/02/04/rain-tax-likely-to-become-reality-in-new-jersey/

Hmm filter salt out of water. I'd like to see that filter. 

We planning on desalinating all runoff? Because most desalinization processes create brine.. so you'd have to store that someplace. Or completely distill and then just store the solids. 

50 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

We planning on desalinating all runoff? Because most desalinization processes create brine.. so you'd have to store that someplace. Or completely distill and then just store the solids. 

That might be considered recycling.  A big thing on the liberal agenda!!! :)

I’ve done a couple projects with mandatory rain water catchment and leaching. One new residence required 2 20,000 gallon perf tanks.

So now they are gonna tax mini mall owners, large commercial complex’s, etc. And do you think a dime will go to stormwater management? Like the 911 surcharge...

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

23 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I’ve done a couple projects with mandatory rain water catchment and leaching. One new residence required 2 20,000 gallon perf tanks.

Yup.  Just put up a new building around an old parking lot.  I had to install into the storm system what they're calling "grease traps".  Large underground rooms you could set up a table and play poker in.  They have an overflow catch basin in them and filters.  To get my C/O I have to have the brand new basins power washed and vac'ed and a letter from the authorized person licensed to do so that he actually did it.  The I have to produce a service contract from a company that does this and replaces the filters twice a year.

BTW; also to get my C/O I had to dance with my hand in my pants on the roof while spitting Nichols. But that's for another thread. 

49 minutes ago, BobA said:

Yup.  Just put up a new building around an old parking lot.  I had to install into the storm system what they're calling "grease traps".  Large underground rooms you could set up a table and play poker in.  They have an overflow catch basin in them and filters.  To get my C/O I have to have the brand new basins power washed and vac'ed and a letter from the authorized person licensed to do so that he actually did it.  The I have to produce a service contract from a company that does this and replaces the filters twice a year.

BTW; also to get my C/O I had to dance with my hand in my pants on the roof while spitting Nichols. But that's for another thread. 

My guess is that the person that does that is related to the person that wrote the law mandating it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

Once the well is full, where does the water go?

I never seen them fill. The're two of them. One on each side of the parking lot. What they are are deep wells that have stone at the bottom. The water runs into the grates from the parking lot then flows into the wells than is released back into the ground.  Nothing goes into the city sewers 

7 hours ago, Regular Guy said:

Oh, so they are to keep run-off from going into sewer, but not into the ground.  Makes sense now.

I see what you are saying. I assume the thinking is that the earth filters the runoff rather than it going directly into the waterways. So now instead of contaminating the water you contaminate the ground...

8 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I see what you are saying. I assume the thinking is that the earth filters the runoff rather than it going directly into the waterways. So now instead of contaminating the water you contaminate the ground...

Excellent Plan.

So NJ is concerned about all the runoff from parking lots polluting the ground?  Has Murphy looked at state roads lately?  There is so much salt & brine on them I need to take my blood pressure meds just to go for a drive...

When I looked at some commercial construction, the requirement for drywells was all about controlling runoff and preventing flooding.  It has nothing to do with pollution. 

This "rain tax" is just another money grab by Trenton.  They're getting more and more creative in how they disguise taxes.  Murphy's got to pay for all that free shit he's promised.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

That's how my septic system works.  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, 0Jeep4 said:

Between this and the new minimum wage that was passed. How long do you guys think before the prices on everything start rising? 

It will happen slowly so impact will not be quite as noticeable.  The wage increases to $10 this summer, then it goes up $1 a year every year until it gets to $15.  That will ultimately causes consumer prices to go up accordingly over the same 5 year time frame. 

This rain tax is supposed to be levied by townships and municipalities.  I think some areas will feel it more than others but it will definitely contribute to the ever rising cost of living.  I think urban and suburban areas will feel it more as residences (both home owners and renters) and businesses get the rain tax on driveways and/or parking lots.  I would think rural areas like where I live would not be affected by rain tax because the townships do not have a sewer systems for runoff water to get in to.  

11 hours ago, carl_g said:

I’ve worked on one remediation project. ( the self storage on 179 outside of lambert ville) and spoken with quite a few “ clean up guys “

The microbes in the dirt do the work. And sometimes you pump nitrogen in to the soil to boost the microbe count. 

The problem is if the leaching gets into the ground water. No bueno.

We pulled 4 tanks on that project. Steel tanks with a surprising amount of holes. Failed min ppm standards. The immediate contaminated soil surrounding the tanks was removed from site. ( gets burned).

4 monitor Wells  were  installed.

Site remediation..... bout a year and a half of time.

@Regular Guy you’re septic is a little different, but same idea.

And I’m against these taxes, they will only go to general fund and disappear like the 911 surcharge.

On 2/5/2019 at 1:34 PM, Regular Guy said:

Sweet, a new tax!  :sungum:  Haven't had a new tax since yesterday when they raised tax on gasoline 4.3 cents per gallon.

Next they should tax us on the carbon dioxide we exhale. 

Don’t worry.  That’s on bucktoof’s list.