1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

I am sad because you are making up restrictions and making your own experience worse for no reason other than you fear what a cop or prosecutor might make up for themselves. I see no benefit in anyone competing with overzealous officials to fabricate imagined laws. Whatever you think of, the chances of you coinciding with what someone else has created in their imagination is rather small, I would say.

Your comparison to skipping getting a permit for construction does not follow. You are required by law to get construction permits and your example contractor is advocating breaking that law which is actually on the books - not some imagined law. A more accurate comparison would be you applying for a permit to cover the new work and including any and all previous work to be re-inspected which would then have to meet current code rather than the code in place when that construction actually occurred. You are not required to bring previous work up to code if it is being left undisturbed, but OMG! What if an overzealous inspector decides to ding you for it not meeting current code!

Great.

I tend to be less dramatic and more practical about things, but you do what's right for you and your family.

21 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Great.

I tend to be less dramatic and more practical about things, but you do what's right for you and your family.

I'm not being dramatic. I'm being factual.

Can you just do everyone a favor and refrain from advising anyone else to follow your made up rules that are based on nothing but your fear that an official will break the law and persecute you?

11 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

I'm not being dramatic. I'm being factual.

Can you just do everyone a favor and refrain from advising anyone else to follow your made up rules that are based on nothing but your fear that an official will break the law and persecute you?

There you are not not being dramatic again.

I'll absolutely continue to recommend that people default to working through a trusted NJ FFL for firearms related transfers and purchases.

My go-to local guy as well as Steve and JT here have always been solid with their recommendations.  The result hasn't always been a transfer through one of them, but even if it was 100% of the time I wouldn't care.

I'll trust the outcome I get with them over guidance of nameless/faceless people on internet forums.

I contribute to ANJRPC, NRA and GOA in hopes that they can come out on top in the many lawsuits they pursue, but I have no desire to become an expert in the nuances of NJ gun laws.  If there's any ambiguity in my mind, I partner with a trusted source.

No idea why you think that makes me someone who provides relaxation and comfort to people who write crazy gun laws, but that's OK.  You do you, I'll do me.

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

I have no desire to become an expert in the nuances of NJ gun laws

There is it in a nutshell. You can't be bothered to learn the law, but you're happy to offer advice based on your made up version of it.

NJ gets what it deserves, I guess.

12 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

There is it in a nutshell. You can't be bothered to learn the law, but you're happy to offer advice based on your made up version of it.

NJ gets what it deserves, I guess.

Nope, didn't say that.  That's your dramatic side talking.

I said "...I have no desire to become an expert in the nuances of NJ gun laws.  If there's any ambiguity in my mind, I partner with a trusted source."

Very different things.

I'm aware of, and abide by the man/confusing laws in this state.

Whenever there is ambiguity (which carries with it the potential for significant loss on my part) I partner with professionals.

Twist that in any way you want, but to me it's sound advice for people to follow.

We're both gun owners in NJ, both participate in a forum with gun owners, yet you need to throw shade towards me because I take a more conservative approach than you do.

Carry on.

I'm sure the last thing any of us want is to get jammed up with a firearms violation in NJ.  Not getting a building permit or a jab is not the same. If you get caught without a permit working on your home you don't lose you right in every other state to ever get a permit again. IMO there's nothing wrong with going to an expert before moving forward especially with something you can forever lose your right to exercise.   I know one thing for sure.  NJ would like nothing better than to make us all criminals.