Mrs. Peel

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) is Spreading

I'm guessing those of you who are long-time hunters are well aware of Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) in deer, elk and moose. 

But, I checked and this topic has NOT been discussed on here in quite awhile, so I'm posting this recent article because:

• the disease is spreading more quickly than scientists expected
  • we may have new hunters on here who are unaware of the condition
  • although NJ is not listed as one of the states where it exists, I'm not sure anyone should bank on that (seeing as we're geographically sandwiched between 2 states where it has been identified - PA and NY)  
  • we might have readers/posters living (or hunting) in states/Canadian provinces where it has been identified 

Anyway, the article has the latest info on the disease, concerns about potential transmission to humans, testing recommendations, etc.:

https://www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/02/fatal-brain-disease-in-deer-elk-moose-spreading-danger-for-humans/

And I picked up this link from an older thread - it's the NJDEP site with disease info applicable to NJ hunters: 

https://www.nj.gov/dep/fgw/cwdinfo.htm

Note: not trying to dissuade anyone from hunting, of course... I just think knowledge is power:good:

I live in a CWD quarantine zone in VA (Northern Shenandoah Valley).  I killed to deer this season and the state provided free testing.  Both were clear.  The state biologist I spoke with said that the prion that causes the disease can only be destroyed with fire >700 degrees.  Baiting is not allowed in VA, aside from fair chase reasons the state says that baiting can contribute to the spread of the disease because the saliva is shared in a bait pile.

17 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

I live in a CWD quarantine zone in VA (Northern Shenandoah Valley).  I killed to deer this season and the state provided free testing.  Both were clear.  The state biologist I spoke with said that the prion that causes the disease can only be destroyed with fire >700 degrees.  Baiting is not allowed in VA, aside from fair chase reasons the state says that baiting can contribute to the spread of the disease because the saliva is shared in a bait pile.

I've also read that there are concerns over doe urine lures spreading CWD

scary stuff.

For humans, this is a concern that goes past the deer. That’s because CWD, along with mad cow disease (bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE), scrapie in sheep, and Creutzfeldt-Jakob in humans, is among a family of brain diseases known as transmissible spongiform encephalopathies (TSEs). In these diseases, holes develop in the brain, causing the brain to become spongy.

Symptoms of  Creutzfeldt-Jakob in humans include psychiatric and behavioral changes, trouble walking, loss of weight, and problems with memory and thinking.

There is no vaccine for it, and it is always fatal.

Symptoms in deer are similar: the animal becomes emaciated and exhibits abnormal behavior.  As in humans, it is always fatal.

Is this transmitted from the meat or at least is that the worry?

Below is an important note:

To date, no studies have shown that chronic wasting disease can actually be passed on to humans, as is the case with mad cow disease. In addition, no human cases of the chronic wasting disease have ever been identified.

5 minutes ago, remixer said:

Is this transmitted from eating meat or atleast is that the worry?

Below is an important note:

To date, no studies have shown that chronic wasting disease can actually be passed on to humans, as is the case with mad cow disease. In addition, no human cases of the chronic wasting disease have ever been identified.

Yeah, but one main concern is that the prion that causes CWD is constantly mutating - and that could mean that it eventually mutates into a form that allows easy transmission to humans. If that happens, it's a real problem. You can't just "round up" wild species for extermination like you can with domesticated herds. It's certainly something to be aware of and keep an eye on IMO. 

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

Yeah, but one main concern is that the prion that causes CWD is constantly mutating - and that could mean that it eventually mutates into a form that allows easy transmission to humans. If that happens, it's a real problem. You can't just "round up" wild species for extermination like you can with domesticated herds. It's certainly something to be aware of and keep an eye on IMO. 

Ill stick with cow for now :)

Its pretty serious

6 hours ago, remixer said:

Is this transmitted from the meat or at least is that the worry?

It's a prion disease. A prion isn't a virus or bacteria, it's a protein.  We don't really know how they work, just that they are essentially misfolded versions of other proteins, and that for some of them, when you have a supply of the misfolded proteins the ones that are normal and innate in your system start becoming misfolded as well. 

The mechanism is completely unknown as all we have now are provably incomplete theories on how they propagate. The only reason 700 degree heat works is it carbonizes all the proteins, which breask down their peptide chains. No chains, no folding, correct or incorrect. 

• Informative 3

It's been recently shown that prions can also transmit Alzheimers, or more accurately, amyloid disease (which could be either a cause, or symptom, of Alzheimers).   It's not transmitted by casual contact, but no one expected it to be transmissible at all.

Amyloid disease is transmissible

• Informative 1