myhatinthering

movie Dirty Harry

In keeping with the movie themes, I offer Dirty Harry.

Never saw it, watching today as my son is sick and I'm home but let me say, what an awesome movie!!!!!  Not only is a smith fan movie but we've got a sturmgaweher!  

ok now for the mistakes, early on he finds a shell casing and it's NOT a 30-06 despite what they said.  Looked more like a 270 to me and upon rewind, definitely not a 30-06

great movie though

10 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

In keeping with the movie themes, I offer Dirty Harry.

Never saw it, watching today as my son is sick and I'm home but let me say, what an awesome movie!!!!!  Not only is a smith fan movie but we've got a sturmgaweher!  

ok now for the mistakes, early on he finds a shell casing and it's NOT a 30-06 despite what they said.  Looked more like a 270 to me and upon rewind, definitely not a 30-06

great movie though

Your eyes are better than mine!!!  I make my 270 cases just by running 3006 brass through a 270 sizing die.  Neck is a little shorter but no difference in performance. 

Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Burt Lancaster, and Robert Mitchum were all considered for the role before Clint got it.  All good actors but I don't know if any of them could have pulled it off like Clint did.

FWIW the gun he uses in the movie is actually a Model 57 41 Magnum.

Dirty Harry movies created a big demand for 6 1/2 inch Model 29s through the 70s and even into the 80s.  You also found some on the used market as new that were being sold with a box of ammo with 6 rds missing :)

• Informative 1

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Your eyes are better than mine!!!  I make my 270 cases just by running 3006 brass through a 270 sizing die.  Neck is a little shorter but no difference in performance. 

Frank Sinatra, John Wayne, Burt Lancaster, and Robert Mitchum were all considered for the role before Clint got it.  All good actors but I don't know if any of them could have pulled it off like Clint did.

Dirty Harry movies created a big demand for 6 1/2 inch Model 29s through the 70s and even into the 80s.  You also found some on the used market as new that were being sold with a box of ammo with 6 rds missing :)

yes sir I read that about those other actors.  I agree, no one was doing this better than Clint but I do think Lancaster would have been an interesting choice.  I don't see any of the others pulling this role off and especially not Sinatra.  Can imagine what anyone actually saw in him, he's got less talent and charisma than big toe!!!!!!   lol

great movie, almost over

5 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

he's chewing gum while walking over after the gunfight and is cool as ice cream....stud!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Vicious said:

Aside from the sick kid you are having one hell of a day.

yup....picked up a nice, NOS never issued A1 upper, and 98% early thin line cross haired Colt 3x and of course the A1 retro lower from Brownells.  Been collecting parts for too long, now going to put this one and another 603 together

3 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

great movie though

Now you're channeling my "Well... do ya punk?" 94 year old mother. One of her favorite phrases.

You may have seen my previous anecdote. While she was living with us and watching Dirty Harry one night (for the sixty-fourth time), I asked her if she wanted to fire six shots, or only five. Then I broke the 29 out of the safe, brought it up to her room, and handed it to her. (Unloaded of course.) She could barely lift it. But I told her anyway to 'go ahead... make my day'.

My favorite repartee from the entire series:

DiGiorgio:  "Whadda they want?"

Harry:           "They want a car."

DiGiorgio:   "Whadda ya gonna do?"

Harry:            "Give 'em one...."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Not totally true.  Clint used the 29 for close up shots and presentation.  When it came time to run around or shoot, it varried between the two.  I do know that in the scene where the perp with the P38 told him to drop it, the gun was the 41 magnum and was scratched so bad it was taken off the set.

• Informative 2

8 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Dirty Harry are great movies,

does anybody like his Spaghetti westerns?

I'm not a big fan of those. But The Outlaw Josey Wales and Pale Rider are on my A+ list.

"I guess I'm right popular."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1