myhatinthering

oaks gun show

Got back like an hour ago...

Small show. If you go, you can’t enter from the side facing BJ’s. Park on the southwest side to get in easier.

Wasnt too much stuff. Picked up a Colt M1917, didn’t see one S&W... was well under my budget, so putting cash back in the bank. Bought it from the guy that I bought my Colt .25 from in December (remembered the gun). Also met a guy from S&W Forum, who was friends with the seller... recognized me from mentioning a thread I posted about the guns/going to the show. Seller said he will try to see if he has any S&Ws he is looking to liquidate from his collection... so definitely going to March’s show.

I almost bought a CZ-52 (ok, but slightly high priced... and I’d have to really clean it up), but the guy saw NJ on the license and started freaking out (he was a FFL-01). “I know NY has laws where you can’t buy via C&R.” Pull the case out of my bag with the Colt, and go to show him the paperwork (receipt and PA resident’s C&R). “You know anyone around here that can tell me I’m good?” Well, the guy I bought the Colt from is in the opposite room... “Bring him over!” He’s older and I’m not dragging him across the gun show just for you to make a sale. Explained how C&Rs are primarily for out of state purchases, but was well over buying the gun by this point. Shook his hand and said that’s why I asked if you had any issue with C&Rs. Well, you’re not a C&R... :facepalm:

Did see a nice Colt 1903 (.32), but was too close to what I had left, and wanted to walk away with something in my pocket.

Normal food related sellers. Sarco is there... if they have anything that interests you.

17 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

thought it sucked to be honest....

Figuring it was a small show, I took that into consideration... however, I was on a mission. Partial success, and high hopes for next month getting another revolver.

If I didn’t have a C&R, wasn’t too worth it (why I put wasn’t too much stuff; small shows usually are like that... but do find some gems). A couple ok surplus guns. Was eyeing a Carcano carbine, only since I have the Oswald gun in the same caliber. Was a “Israeli” K98 sniper. I put that in quotes because not like any of the ones I saw... was in 7.62mm, but looked very clean with an odd scope/mount setup. Think someone made it to sell to someone who just thinks Israelis are bad ass (I agree with it, but not for a fake rifle). But to be fair, it was $500... so a logical person couldn’t expect it to be real.

Did see a decent amount of reloading stuff... equipment and supplies. No idea on price, as I was looking for specific stuff. Even after buying the Colt I went around again to see if anyone had holsters... how I saw the CZ-52.

Short line, all indoors. Maybe waited three minutes because of people making change.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Figuring it was a small show, I took that into consideration... however, I was on a mission. Partial success, and high hopes for next month getting another revolver.

If I didn’t have a C&R, wasn’t too worth it (why I put wasn’t too much stuff; small shows usually are like that... but do find some gems). A couple ok surplus guns. Was eyeing a Carcano carbine, only since I have the Oswald gun in the same caliber. Was a “Israeli” K98 sniper. I put that in quotes because not like any of the ones I saw... was in 7.62mm, but looked very clean with an odd scope/mount setup. Think someone made it to sell to someone who just thinks Israelis are bad ass (I agree with it, but not for a fake rifle). But to be fair, it was $500... so a logical person couldn’t expect it to be real.

Did see a decent amount of reloading stuff... equipment and supplies. No idea on price, as I was looking for specific stuff. Even after buying the Colt I went around again to see if anyone had holsters... how I saw the CZ-52.

Short line, all indoors. Maybe waited three minutes because of people making change.

we shoudl have gone together....

if you are reloading, I've got a few buckets of brass

9 hours ago, Screwball said:

Did you go last year? How did this show compare to last years? I might take a ride just to look around and maybe pick up a case for my AR.

17 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Did you go last year? How did this show compare to last years? I might take a ride just to look around and maybe pick up a case for my AR.

The last one in December? It is made to be a larger show. The March one is their huge one, with October and December being slightly smaller. The others (this included) are only two rooms.

There were cases around...

• Thanks 1

Golf Battery, Sgt Toadette and I will be leaving shortly. Not looking for anything specific, other than some specialty ammo, but you can never tell what you might find. Last time I went (which was a number of months ago) I stumbled upon a S&W Model 25-14 - a Lew Horton special of which only 250 blued versions were made. I'll be wearing a tan hat with a S&W logo (naturally) on the front. Stop me, introduce yourself and say hello.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

12 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Golf Battery, Sgt Toadette and I will be leaving shortly. Not looking for anything specific, other than some specialty ammo, but you can never tell what you might find. Last time I went (which was a number of months ago) I stumbled upon a S&W Model 25-14 - a Lew Horton special of which only 250 blued versions were made. I'll be wearing a tan hat with a S&W logo (naturally) on the front. Stop me, introduce yourself and say hello.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

may venture out. Is this the one near philly?

53 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

It's Oaks. Pa. Use a map. ;)

Edit: Yes it's near Filthadelphia.

Blah, plus $12 for admission? NUTS!

There is also one in allentown for anyone in north jersey...

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/allentown-pa-gun-show/

Was going to try to hit this Oaks one to check out the reloading supplies but the schedule just doesn't allow it this weekend.   Looking to go to the Oaks Show in March .. supposedly should be larger next month? I dunno .. never hit any of the Oaks ones.

@Maksim Ever been to that allentown one?   Decent show?

Just now, Lakota said:

Was going to try to hit this Oaks one to check out the reloading supplies but the schedule just doesn't allow it this weekend.   Looking to go to the Oaks Show in March .. supposedly should be larger next month? I dunno .. never hit any of the Oaks ones.

@Maksim Ever been to that allentown one?   Decent show?

No clue, just made it out to this neck of the woods.  There are plenty of smaller nicer shows in Lehigh Valley.

Generally though for reloading supplies, just go to the dealers themselves.   The prices at the shows still seem to be fairly high. 

31 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

really?

Really what?

$12 to enter a gun show?  Yes, I think that is nuts!  Especially since that big outdoor show in Harrisburg is only $7. lol.

Eagle Arms does put on a good show BUT the show itself has become an event to make money.  

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/oaks-3-day-gun-show/

http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com

Interestingly, it says it says 1,000 tables. so surprised someone said small...?

9 hours ago, Maksim said:

may venture out. Is this the one near philly?

Valley Forge, King of Prussia...

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

Blah, plus $12 for admission? NUTS!

Yea, but you can save a dollar from the coupon on their site. ;)

5 hours ago, Maksim said:

Interestingly, it says it says 1,000 tables. so surprised someone said small...?

The expo center is five halls... the small shows use two (larger halls). Mid-size shows use the three larger ones... and the large show (March) uses the three main, plus another to the side. There might be an antique show that uses the fifth side hall, at least it worked out that way one time I went.

Those are maximum tables. There was quite a few empty areas when I went yesterday. Usually can gauge size by the number of stun gun zaps you hear during the course of the day. Might have heard two yesterday.

It isn’t a bad thing to go to the small shows... as you’ll find some decent things there. The C&R guy that I bought from is usually there at every show. The holster guy who made the holster for my SP-01/TacBlock... he only goes to the bigger ones.

Granted, a PA guy might be in a better position to get something... and even a NJ C&R, when you compare to a non-licensee NJ guy. But if you go to this show, and then next month’s... you’ll see a noticeable difference. You might see twice as much of whatever you are interested in... but figure four times as much crap you aren’t.

For Allentown, I was talking with the member from S&W Forum last night... and he was going to it. Told me he was going to keep an eye out for a S&W M1917. More of a collector show, so don’t be surprised seeing C&Rs, with less chances for NJ residents to buy (need to go through a FFL-01).

While I've been to a number of the Oaks shows, I guess I never encountered the "Large " variety. The previous shows that I attended were always in the same two halls as the current show. I don't think that I could physically make it through a show larger than this (old age and infirmity) - gun shows are not known for the many areas where you can rest and recoup. LOL. I took two Aleve and my cane today, and managed the two halls.

Comparing the Eagle Arms Oaks show and the Forks of the Delaware show in Allentown is an apples and oranges thing. Even the larger Allentown show at Ag Hall on the fairgrounds doesn't compare to Oaks. The admission fee is commensurate with the size and quality of the show.

I could have easily spent $15K on S&W revolvers alone, today. Many more there this time the my last trip to Oaks. I do intend to follow-up on at least one of the gems I found.

I didn't find what I was looking for - which as I said previously was some specialized ammo. Specifically some Winchester Silver Tip 200 grain .44 Spl. and some of the new Federal AE SynTech in .40 S&W with the 205 grain coated bullet.

What does need to be improved at this show is parking. After the half-mile hike into the show from the car, I was already tuckered out. I know that it's tough to keep a facility this large always engaged, but to have a large gun show and golf show on the same weekend just makes the parking situation that much worse. Going to have to get one of those little blue tags that hang from your mirror - they had a whole section of the parking lot roped off for them.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

Really what?

$12 to enter a gun show?  Yes, I think that is nuts!  Especially since that big outdoor show in Harrisburg is only $7. lol.

Eagle Arms does put on a good show BUT the show itself has become an event to make money.  

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/oaks-3-day-gun-show/

http://www.eaglearmsgunshows.com

no meant really in that I didn't know another gun show was up:)