ChrisJM981

Thomas R. Rogers and ANJRPC v. Gurbir S. Grewal, et al

Watch for progress on the Rogers & ANJRPC CCW case vs NJ AG, et al. 

This was listed in another thread, but I thought it will need it's own space to avoid hijacking Rosey's CNJFO thread. 

https://certpool.com/dockets/18-824?fbclid=IwAR2GBSTRnMnR15m914PMdkd7IYl3vrwjPPAXmw-Mt2Pgz1todMU5Gcc17cY

What are your thoughts? I think we're going to Washington!

• Thanks 1

Definitely deserving of its own thread. Thanks.

Would be a game changer if they grant Cert. Especially following the NY case which was recently granted Cert.

Am excited and optimistic.  However the disappointment of Drake is still fresh in my mind. 

With Kennedy out one can only hope.  I just wonder if they will be willing to take 2 second amendment cases in succession.  I wish this had made its way to the court before NY’s case.  Fingers crossed.  This is a much better case than the NY case as it gets to the heart of the scope of the amendment i.e. does it apply outside the home and the level of scrutiny courts can use in deciding cases.  

18 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

laymens' terms please

...text from ANJRPC email blast

High Court Considers Taking ANJRPC Appeal

February 19, 2019. Today, the U.S. Supreme Court required the State of New Jersey to file a brief in response to ANJRPC's petition asking the High Court to hear its challenge to NJ's carry laws. Under the Supreme Court's order, the State of New Jersey is required to file papers by March 21, arguing why the High Court should not agree to hear ANJRPC's appeal. NJ had previously ignored the appeal.

While the move is not a guarantee that the Supreme Court will agree to hear the appeal, the fact that the court is requiring NJ to take a position on ANJRPC's request is significant, and signals that the court is not willing to take any action without first hearing from both sides.

By late April or early May, it is likely we will know whether the High Court will agree to take the case, decline to take the case, or hold the case while awaiting the outcome of a pending challenge to NYC's firearm laws.

SUPPORT THE LAWSUITS

CLICK HERE TO DONATE!

12 minutes ago, kc17 said:

The way I read this, NJ was asked by SCOTUS to respond previously and did not. Wants happens if they still do not respond by the new deadline set?

Could deny, could move on. Joisey did this to draw out the $clock. It’s doubtful to me joisey will not represent itself here.

Doesn't seem right that SCOTUS would deny if NJ did not respond. To me Murphy and his administration (Grewal) are already in contempt of court.

It seems obvious enough to me they are trying to stretch this out to have our side exhaust funding; as well as arrogance.

The court had not asked for a response until today.  Respondents are not in contempt as they filed a waiver indicating they would not respond unless requested to do so.

State is looking to extend this out as long as they can though I don’t really think they bought any time here because even if the court would have granted cert this Thursday in conference the case wouldn’t have been heard until the fall anyway.

Can see the docket history here:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-824.html

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thanks, I will take a look at that.

My comment on the previous lack of response was based on the line " NJ had previously ignored the appeal." from the announcement today.

Edit to add... OK I see on 1/28 a waiver to respond. So the AG's office said, (in my words) "we don't think this is worth a response and will only take the time to respond if ordered to"

Yeah not sure what they meant by ignored the appeal.  Perhaps they just meant they didn’t respond though if that is what they meant it’s a little misleading given as they did submit a waiver of right to respond.

Sucks another month+ of waiting, hopefully the court can decide quickly and not relist it several times like they did with Drake....

2 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

that's a good sign!  thanks

now if clarence retires early, we can get another pro 2a and then of course ginsburg dies (God willing), we get 4 solid pro 2a

Actually, Thomas is a very staunch conservative and supporter of 2A.  He is only 70 years old, not 80+ like RBG and should stick around for a while.

We stand a better chance with him on the bench together with Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh (4 votes) and Chief Justice Roberts.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, TR20 said:

Actually, Thomas is a very staunch conservative and supporter of 2A.  He is only 70 years old, not 80+ like RBG and should stick around for a while.

We stand a better chance with him on the bench together with Alito, Gorsuch, Kavanaugh (4 votes) and Chief Justice Roberts.

there is talk of him looking to retire under Trump so that a rep replaces him

15 hours ago, TR20 said:

You are correct, I read something about that myself.  Although he may be looking for an exit under Trump, I still hope he sticks around for the upcoming cases!!

I do as well.  He is a slam dunk I believe if this type of case reaches the bench.  He wrote a dissent when the supreme court didn't grant certiorari in Silvester v Becerra.  Dissent is here:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/17pdf/17-342_4hd5.pdf

Albeit this wasn't a carry case it does show where his mind is on the 2nd amendment.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I am somewhat surprised that the request for a response hasn't been reported anywhere.  I guess it may be too subtle a point.  But I think it makes it much more likely that cert will be granted.  They can't grant cert without a response, but could have easily denied cert.  I have been quite pessimistic about our chances for help at the Supreme Court, but I have a good feeling about this one.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:07 AM, PDM said:

I am somewhat surprised that the request for a response hasn't been reported anywhere.  I guess it may be too subtle a point.  But I think it makes it much more likely that cert will be granted.  They can't grant cert without a response, but could have easily denied cert.  I have been quite pessimistic about our chances for help at the Supreme Court, but I have a good feeling about this one.

I like the move. Essentially forcing NJ AG to justify the “justifiable need”. I’m sure SCOTUS would like to know how, who, what, when such “need” is made or determined.  In my view this is the best example of infringement yet. If I were litigator I would ask when the last time a criminal provided the specific day, time, place to the victims of any crime. That to me is the crux of it. No one can foresee the absolute future.  And criminal acts does not discriminate, nor should any state limit the right to bear arms as defense against it. You all know this so I’m just offering my view. I am optimistic that we get cert granted. 

• Like 1

So as the time clock ticks down on the NJ AG and team to respond to SCOTUS via brief and the new online process for FID now online in many counties, I view this as NJ power slugs seeing that they are in trouble. Damage control. They, meaning Gov,  et al, all know they have overreached big time. Though none of them will ever  admit nor concede, it is very possible they think will be up against the highest court. These dweebs are no way near enough competent to justify this off. Sorry but big money at Goldman does not trump the Constitution. Govie Murphy and his team are in for the awakening of their lives if SCOTUS hears the case. NYC is also in play with similar suit. I’m all in and have faith that law of land can and will prevail. 

The New York case will not be heard until the next October term of SCOTUS.  The Association and New York filed a joint application to extend the time to brief the appeal on its merits until August.  The prior briefing was addressed to whether certiorari should be granted, even though the merits were thoroughly discussed and argued.  The Court wants further briefs dealing solely with the merits issues.  

This could work to improve the chances for a grant of certiorari for Rogers v. Grewal.  SCOTUS could grant certiorari in Rogers before the term ends on June 30 and consolidate it with the New York case for argument and decision next fall.  

Yesterday, the State applied to SCOTUS for an additional 30 days in which to submit its brief in opposition to certiorari.  The petitioners consented to this, presumably as a courtesy, and this extension should be granted as a matter of course.  However, this extension kicks the can down the road yet again.  It seems that the State is looking to run out the clock on this term of the SCOTUS.  Petitioner's brief is thus not likely to be filed before the end of April  The last conference date this term, at which a vote could be taken on hearing the case, June 20, 2019.  

• Thanks 1

another question...

Trying to follow along here.  So in a nutshell the state acquired more time to build their case but this is still is on track for a SCOTUS review or decision by year end, correct? Looking at the link Spartiati posted above here’s the link for the 12 March entry which is the the states request for the additional 30 days.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-824/91786/20190312161052807_Ltr%20to%20Scott%20Harris%20re%20Rogers%20et%20al%203-12-19.pdf

If someone could please expand on what the state means by "In addition, this case involves a constitutional challenge to a state statute". (copy & pasted from PDF above). Evidently that could be one direction the state is going in with their case but I'm sure with the additional 30 days the state will have additional fabrications to throw in before it comes down to go time..

On 3/3/2019 at 11:21 AM, chic013 said:

I like the move. Essentially forcing NJ AG to justify the “justifiable need”. I’m sure SCOTUS would like to know how, who, what, when such “need” is made or determined.  In my view this is the best example of infringement yet. If I were litigator I would ask when the last time a criminal provided the specific day, time, place to the victims of any crime. That to me is the crux of it. No one can foresee the absolute future.  And criminal acts does not discriminate, nor should any state limit the right to bear arms as defense against it. You all know this so I’m just offering my view. I am optimistic that we get cert granted. 

All the state has to do is cut & paste Drake.  I predict we will get to the week of 3/22 and they will ask for an extension 

27 minutes ago, FXDX said:

another question...

Trying to follow along here.  So in a nutshell the state acquired more time to build their case but this is still is on track for a SCOTUS review or decision by year end, correct? Looking at the link Spartiati posted above here’s the link for the 12 March entry which is the the states request for the additional 30 days.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-824/91786/20190312161052807_Ltr%20to%20Scott%20Harris%20re%20Rogers%20et%20al%203-12-19.pdf

If someone could please expand on what the state means by "In addition, this case involves a constitutional challenge to a state statute". (copy & pasted from PDF above). Evidently that could be one direction the state is going in with their case but I'm sure with the additional 30 days the state will have additional fabrications to throw in before it comes down to go time..

Conferences end in June so should give plenty of time to review for cert and then arguments in Fall.

Not surprised they asked for an extension even though they will rely heavily on their response from Drake.  

• Thanks 1