ChrisJM981

Thomas R. Rogers and ANJRPC v. Gurbir S. Grewal, et al

20 hours ago, raz-0 said:

There's no soaking Scotus.

However, I would expect nj to engage in massive bullshit. Like making the permits incredibly expensive or making permitted carry unlawful in so many locations as to make it useless.

16 hours ago, BobA said:

Yes they could require certifications, classes, fees, etc., long waits. They aren’t going down easy. But there’s no appeal. Spartacus and/or the pervert could try to introduce something but not with and likely success. 

My fingers are crossed that this will loosen up the many other rediculous infringements so we can act like adults with our guns. 

these are some of the types of things i'm worried about......

On 5/4/2019 at 6:06 AM, BobA said:

Yes they could require certifications, classes, fees, etc., long waits. They aren’t going down easy. But there’s no appeal. Spartacus and/or the pervert could try to introduce something but not with and likely success. 

My fingers are crossed that this will loosen up the many other rediculous infringements so we can act like adults with our guns. 

They already have all these things. If (when) justifiable need gets struck NJ doesn't need to do anything. The rest of the process will still be there. You will still have a background check done (they send you back to morphotrack for $$$) , need to qualify with each and every gun you want to carry (which includes being signed off on knowing NJ laws), and you'll still need the permit approved by your CLEO and then a Superior Court Judge. The last step will be slow walked and queues allowed to build up.

I don't want it to be this way, but I'll bet it will.

I think if the shall issue passes the Superior Court Judge should be out. If your CLEO approves you that should be that. And the only things to hold it up, would be a past felony, domestic violence, drugs, mental, etc.

Actually the Judge should never have been involved. The Justice branch does not approve any licenses. That is supposed to be an Executive function. It was just another block in the road. Something the SCOTUS justices could also argue about.

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

They already have all these things. If (when) justifiable need gets struck NJ doesn't need to do anything. The rest of the process will still be there.

True but, other states do have minor hoops to jump through too. Safety courses and the like. Likely NJ will come up with impossible ones like guessing how many bubbles are in a bar of soap.

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

you'll still need the permit approved by your CLEO and then a Superior Court Judge.

And part of this case is to eliminate this step.  The unfair judging of who can get approved and who can't violates the 14th of equal treatment.  This is why the Chief is also being sued in this case.  

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, BobA said:

And part of this case is to eliminate this step.  The unfair judging of who can get approved and who can't violates the 14th of equal treatment.  This is why the Chief is also being sued in this case.  

Not quite. The case revolves around JN, not the administrative steps. Nowhere in Rogers does anybody mention getting rid of the Judges' role. If SCOTUS isn't asked the question, it is very unlikely that they will answer it.

14 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Not quite. The case revolves around JN, not the administrative steps. Nowhere in Rogers does anybody mention getting rid of the Judges' role. If SCOTUS isn't asked the question, it is very unlikely that they will answer it.

Sort of. One of his issues is where the Chief won’t forward his application to the judge based on his opinion. Then once before the judge he points out “justifiable need”. The chief’s decision violates the 14th. The judges decision sucks for obvious reasons. 

On 5/4/2019 at 1:24 AM, ChrisJM981 said:

Nj probably gets a defined amount of time to rewrite their unconstitutional carry laws.

There may not be a need to re-write anything. If SCOTUS says NJ cannot ask for a need and/or self defense is a justifiable need, then you march into your PD and submit a letter of need with "self defense" as the reason and reference USA No. 18-824

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, galapoola said:

There may not be a need to re-write anything. If SCOTUS says NJ cannot ask for a need and/or self defense is a justifiable need, then you march into your PD and submit a letter of need with "self defense" as the reason and reference USA No. 18-824

I believe that a letter has to be sent out from the top of the Turban down for LEOs to do so. Or else they have to follow their last given order. 

11 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

In any event, you'll still need to submit qualifications for those handguns you with to have listed on your Permit To Carry, just like the active and retired LEOs do before your permit is issued.

Probably so. That and maybe qualify and renew as often as they do. Any strings that they can attach. 

But the chief or turban head won't be able to refuse if we get shall issue. Similar to the same questions on the handgun or rifle paperwork. Even if there are stricter instructional  standards that will be a matter of going to any gun club that has public classes.

4 minutes ago, drjjpdc said:

But the chief or turban head won't be able to refuse if we get shall issue. Similar to the same questions on the handgun or rifle paperwork. Even if there are stricter instructional  standards that will be a matter of going to any gun club that has public classes.

True. He won’t (shouldn’t) refuse, but he must inform the rank and file how to comply.

instruction-wise they could make us go to one of their classes given by NJSP for instance. All this is theoretical. The point being that they’re just not going to roll over and hand out permits. I think they’ll get as creative as they can to have as many legal road blocks as possible. They’re scumbags like that. 

Since NJ and NY are fighting similar battles. So I decided to look at their case, even though NY has been granted certorari already. Maybe some momentum in the CCW cases. NY City case has already been granted certiorari but the respondent's (NY City) are worried and tried to stall. Their stalling tactic to hear the case was denied. Here is the link to the NY case. For those interested in this stuff you can read 2 short letters from each side around April 12th or so. Basically the city is trying to push that they have amendments that might change the situation if they pass. The Supreme Court was having none of it.
As Bugs Bunny used to say, "It is to laugh."

www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-280.html

May 07 2019    DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 5/23/2019.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-824.html

So now we have an actual date for conference, that's a Thursday so the following Friday or Monday for a yes/no. I'm confident that either NYC and/or our NJ case will make a substantial difference. We should have a solid 4 to vote it out of conference to be heard. Don't need a majority as has been stated prior. Good news.

• Informative 2

14 hours ago, galapoola said:

May 07 2019    DISTRIBUTED for Conference of 5/23/2019.

https://www.supremecourt.gov/search.aspx?filename=/docket/docketfiles/html/public/18-824.html

So now we have an actual date for conference, that's a Thursday so the following Friday or Monday for a yes/no. I'm confident that either NYC and/or our NJ case will make a substantial difference. We should have a solid 4 to vote it out of conference to be heard. Don't need a majority as has been stated prior. Good news.

Agree that there are likely 4 votes.  However, I do not think the 4 will vote to grant cert. unless they are highly confident that the Chief will join them in an opinion on the merits.  Otherwise, they run the risk of a 5-4 decision against public carry if Roberts votes with the liberals.

• Informative 1

35 minutes ago, Princetonian58 said:

Agree that there are likely 4 votes.  However, I do not think the 4 will vote to grant cert. unless they are highly confident that the Chief will join them in an opinion on the merits.  Otherwise, they run the risk of a 5-4 decision against public carry if Roberts votes with the liberals.

May I ask... if you feel free sharing...are you an attorney? Because I've noticed that your comments typically seem insightful and informative on legal matters. Just curious!

6 hours ago, Princetonian58 said:

I've heard this as well. They generally have enough to hear a case, but it depends if they think they can get that 5th vote or not. I'm almost convinced that Roberts has some skeletons in his closet that someone on the left knows about. 

6 hours ago, Princetonian58 said:

I specifically heard Allen Gottleib, head of the Second Amendment Foundation, last year state to the effect “if there aren’t 5 votes to pass it, there won’t be 4 to hear it”. I believe that was on an episode of the American Armed Radio podcast, where he makes frequent appearances. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, revenger said:

So tomorrow is the day,   anyone know what web site to look at to see this outcome.

I think here?  

There may be another link that is updated sooner. 

1 hour ago, BobA said:

That gives the weekend for Ginsberg to choke on a hamburger at a barbecue. 

True.

the justices probably discuss and vote on stuff tomorrow though. Her untimely choking on a burger or wing wouldn’t help us for this case.

27 minutes ago, Gunnz said:

True.

the justices probably discuss and vote on stuff tomorrow though. Her untimely choking on a burger or wing wouldn’t help us for this case.

Even if it would not help us with this case, I still want her to choke! Don't discourage her!image.png.e0b68124c83e699ab40a265dfccc7c04.png

• Haha 1

From Mark Cheeseman:

TODAY: U.S. SUPREME COURT
CONSIDERS WHETHER TO HEAR
ANJRPC RIGHT TO CARRY CASE

May 23, 2019. Today, the U.S. Supreme Court is scheduled to conference internally on whether it will agree to hear ANJRPC's challenge to New Jersey's carry laws (which prevent the average law-abiding citizen in NJ from defending themselves with a firearm outside the home).

While the result of today's conference will not be publicly announced until Tuesday, May 28, the U.S. Supreme Court could take any one of the following actions on the case:

- Agree to hear the appeal
- Decline to hear the appeal
- Relist the appeal for consideration at the next conference
- Defer the appeal pending the outcome of another case