ChrisJM981

Thomas R. Rogers and ANJRPC v. Gurbir S. Grewal, et al

What follows is a quote from remarks given by Dean Erwin Chemerinsky, an well known follower and commentator on the US Supreme Court and very much a liberal,  This bodes well for constitutional carry:

Think of the ages of the conservative justices. Clarence Thomas is 70. Samuel Alito is 68. John Roberts is 65. Brett Kavanaugh is 53. Neil Gorsuch is 51. It’s certainly easy to imagine these five justices sitting together for another decade or two. So, I think the bottom line is when you think about the U.S. Supreme Court, now and for the foreseeable future, is that if you are politically conservative, this is a time to be jubilant. Conservatives have long wanted a solid, staunch conservative majority. They now have it on the High Court. If you’re politically liberal, maybe the most encouraging thing I can say is perhaps the Supreme Court will continue to decide fewer and fewer cases.

11 minutes ago, Lakota said:

I have no doubt NJ asks for another extension and probably gets it as well.

The writing is on the wall and they no it.  I would imagine once this gets going it would be hard to stop.  

5 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

The writing is on the wall and they no it.  I would imagine once this gets going it would be hard to stop.  

Oh i agree... but NJ will drag their feet kicking and screaming the whole way.  And their way will be to delay as long as possible.

The State filed its brief today.  Here is the link:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketPDF/18/18-824/96857/20190419122517548_18-824 BIO.pdf

It's disappointing to acknowledge that the State did a good job in offering reasons to SCOTUS not to grant cert. in this case (as opposed to addressing the merits).  NJ argues first that there is an insufficient split in the Courts of Appeals, dissecting the details of the Young case in the 9th Cir.; Moore in the 7th Cir; and to a weaker extent even Wrenn out of the D.C. Cir.  Next, it points out that Rogers lacks a factual record that in fact shows what small percentage of applicants receive NJ concealed carry permits.  We all know it's a ridiculously small percentage but NJ points to the wholesale absence of any evidence in the record.  It further argues that the Court should pass on Rogers in favor of a Massachusetts case, Gould v. Morgan, which also is waiting for a decision on cert. but has not yet been briefed fully.  NJ also asks the Court to deny cert. here or hold off pending its decision in the NY Assoc. case.  NJ pulled out all the stops to offer reasons to delay and dodge a decision here.  

Still infringement regardless. There is no inference of “need” in the 2A let alone “justifiable need”. 

They can cite all the cases they wish but the fact remains that NJ has instituted a de facto ban on carry and should be struck down. 

I think cert will be granted and Grewal et al will not prevail. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, chic013 said:

Still infringement regardless. There is no inference of “need” in the 2A let alone “justifiable need”. 

They can cite all the cases they wish but the fact remains that NJ has instituted a de facto ban on carry and should be struck down. 

I think cert will be granted and Grewal et al will not prevail. 

I can't wait for ANJRPC's response. In the meantime I'll start researching handguns for carry. 

2 hours ago, Princetonian58 said:

Next, it points out that Rogers lacks a factual record that in fact shows what small percentage of applicants receive NJ concealed carry permits.  We all know it's a ridiculously small percentage but NJ points to the wholesale absence of any evidence in the record. 

This is such a smug argument. The state has a monopoly on that information and it knows it.   Though it would be interesting to hear if the plaintiff requested the information and the state declined or gave an excuse. Or did they not even ask. 

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

This is such a smug argument. The state has a monopoly on that information and it knows it.   Though it would be interesting to hear if the plaintiff requested the information and the state declined or gave an excuse. Or did they not even ask. 

Problem is nobody applies for the carry permits. So there is no records of large numbers of denials. This was argued successfully by the State in one of these lawsuits about 6 or 7 years back.

• Agree 2

21 minutes ago, diamondd817 said:

Problem is nobody applies for the carry permits. So there is no records of large numbers of denials. This was argued successfully by the State in one of these lawsuits about 6 or 7 years back.

It’s basically the same as CA saying standard capacity mags are not in common use because they’ve been banned for 20 years.

Artificially Chilling the market shouldn’t be a justification

Why not a bunch of denials?  Here's why:  Too many PUSSIES were afraid of a denial costing them the ability to apply for more P2P's!  OMG, what do I do if they ask me about a denial?

FACT:  No matter how many times Almeida was denied, he explained it all away and there was NO delay in processing P2P's.  Ever.

The Stockholm Syndrome is strong here...

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Why not a bunch of denials?  Here's why:  Too many PUSSIES were afraid of a denial costing them the ability to apply for more P2P's!  OMG, what do I do if they ask me about a denial?

FACT:  No matter how many times Almeida was denied, he explained it all away and there was NO delay in processing P2P's.  Ever.

This is exactly what they want. I got friends that would be interested in owning firearms and shooting sports, but they’re too afraid/scared of applying like it a huge deal or something.

So in a way it doesn’t matter. What’s the acceptable number of people denied due to “justifiable need”?  25% or 95%?   It would be nice to have the number just to check the box... but the real issue is the statute  itself. 

I only got to pg16 and had to stop for now. It’s early and my laughter and yelling was waking people.  But first order of laughter was in opening his noting that for over 200 years carrying has been regulated. Did his high school even teach history?  Second it seems to be written rather elementary. As though he’s dumbing it down for them. It’s almost as it’s written by interns rather than top shelf lawyers. 

9 hours ago, BobA said:

I only got to pg16 and had to stop for now. It’s early and my laughter and yelling was waking people.  But first order of laughter was in opening his noting that for over 200 years carrying has been regulated. Did his high school even teach history?  Second it seems to be written rather elementary. As though he’s dumbing it down for them. It’s almost as it’s written by interns rather than top shelf lawyers. 

Its was written by clowns.  They are trying to Bozo their way around the obvious Constitutional violations.

"The history of New Jersey’s public carry law stretches back over a century. In 1905, New Jersey enacted its first permitting law, restricting the concealed carrying of firearms to those individuals who had permits to do so."

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

No, no conflict at all. /Sarcasm off

I wanted to apply for a carry permit about 10 years ago and the local chief told me don’t bother. He said that even if he approved it the judge would deny it because I’m not an ex cop and being in the military did not matter. It would just be a waste of the application fee. With responses like that no wonder few people other than those who would certainly be approved apply. At least the chief was honest but It still sucks. But for the application numbers to be used against people wanting to carry is reprehensible. The court should make New Jersey do the paperwork for free if the application is denied, then you’ll see who tries to apply. The courts could look into who is rich, related to a public official or who is an ex cop and has a carry permit versus who is an average citizen and has a carry permit. I bet those numbers would be interesting. 

On 4/19/2019 at 6:58 PM, Smokin .50 said:

Ummm how many people did we have ready to fill out CCW applications to be denied? I forget who was organizing it, but we were ready to go. 

11 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Ummm how many people did we have ready to fill out CCW applications to be denied? I forget who was organizing it, but we were ready to go. 

Ah yes!  "Apply to be denied"!  I was part of that and it was group of us who got together for the purpose of getting a large number of people to apply for CCW so we could prove to the courts that NJ denies most ALL permits!  It was determined that the number of people who were willing to be denied was insufficient to have a positive outcome for us.

The fact is, NJ now freely admits it does not grant permits! Back then, they denied that fact. NJ will NOT change a thing unless forced by the SCOTUS, even then, they will resist, kicking and screaming all the way.

I predict that in the end, WE WILL WIN! Start looking for your CCW gun and a good holster now!:)

• Like 1