Greenday

South Jersey Meetup at Range 129

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

Why would what the CASE is made of make a difference???

You CAN keep your brass....right?

Yes and I do.

59 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

Only if it doesn’t fall in front of the firing line. Good luck with that. 

The range officers are pretty cool. Unless it somehow got really far down the range and it's reachable with the broom, they'd probably okay it. Or if you are the only one there and things are slow, I'm sure they'd oblige you if there was some super special brass you fired and want to retrieve.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Black powder is exotic? I’m looking at @Smokin .50 differently moving forward. He’s saucy!

@Zeke Hog Hunt is Sunday.  Me & my saucy BLACK POWDER will harvest just fine, lol!  Want some BACON delivered to ya?

Steel cased is "Exotic"?  Aluminum cased is "Exotic"?  Lead Buckshot is "Exotic"?  WTF!  Sounds like a Candy-Ass has run a-muck :) 

Image may contain: David Rosenthal, smiling, tree, outdoor and nature

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It may not be exotic but in my short time of shooting, indoor ranges not allowing steel cased or steel core ammo has been common. 129 doesn't allow it, Shooters doesn't allow it, Garden State Shooting Center, Shore Shot, Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club, Tactical Training Center, RTSP are all examples of NJ ranges that restrict steel cased and/or steel core ammo. Right across the border in much more free PA has the same issues with steel cased/core ammo. Steel cased the only argument I can find for banning it is it sparks more which can cause a fire outdoors. But as far as steel core, it damages the backstops faster than anything else so I can see why that can get banned.

43 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Steel cased is "Exotic"?  Aluminum cased is "Exotic"?  Lead Buckshot is "Exotic"?  WTF!  Sounds like a Candy-Ass has run a-muck :) 

My understanding of the story of Range 129 is that the idea of building and opening this facility was a result of an MBA project by the son.

The father provided the financing for the project.

Neither of them were 'gun guys' and the unsafe practice of examining firearms (to see if they are loaded) in a non-firing area of the building are the result of a lack of firearm knowledge and established safe practices.

If anyone can contradict that narrative, please do so.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Greenday said:

It may not be exotic but in my short time of shooting, indoor ranges not allowing steel cased or steel core ammo has been common. 129 doesn't allow it, Shooters doesn't allow it, Garden State Shooting Center, Shore Shot, Old Bridge Rifle & Pistol Club, Tactical Training Center, RTSP are all examples of NJ ranges that restrict steel cased and/or steel core ammo. Right across the border in much more free PA has the same issues with steel cased/core ammo. Steel cased the only argument I can find for banning it is it sparks more which can cause a fire outdoors. But as far as steel core, it damages the backstops faster than anything else so I can see why that can get banned.

Steel core bullets can be a problem for the backstop.  Steel/aluminum cases are a problem for selling the scrap brass.  One I can understand; the other is greed.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Steel cased the only argument I can find for banning it is it sparks more which can cause a fire outdoors. 

Steel cases sparks more?  

Never heard of that?  What does that mean exactly?

50 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

@Zeke Hog Hunt is Sunday.  Me & my saucy BLACK POWDER will harvest just fine, lol!  Want some BACON delivered to ya?

Image may contain: David Rosenthal, smiling, tree, outdoor and nature

Good Lord....it's almost 11p, and now I have a hankerin' to cook up a pound of bacon, and gobble it up!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

Steel cases sparks more?  

Never heard of that?  What does that mean exactly?

Well, steel striking a surface can cause sparks. If that were to occur around some unburnt powder or tinder when outside and it's dry, that could cause fire. Possible, but not likely. Extreme example of steel on steel outside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk53Bh7PLZE Can't find anything on youtube of a casing causing sparks. Just what I've read from some other forums as guesses.

I've never used steel cased ammo before so I've never seen if ejected casing cause any problems. But odds are, it comes down to can they make money off of it.

4 hours ago, Greenday said:

Well, steel striking a surface can cause sparks. If that were to occur around some unburnt powder or tinder when outside and it's dry, that could cause fire. Possible, but not likely. Extreme example of steel on steel outside https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk53Bh7PLZE Can't find anything on youtube of a casing causing sparks. Just what I've read from some other forums as guesses.

I've never used steel cased ammo before so I've never seen if ejected casing cause any problems. But odds are, it comes down to can they make money off of it.

It’s not about spark, it’s about the Benjamin’s.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Greenday said:

The Steel Case is actually just a misnomer from older times...

1. generally, steel core ammo used to come only in steel or aluminum case brass.  So was just easy to say, no steel/bimetal/aluminum cased cartridges.

2. IF there is unburned powder on the floor, hypothetically, steel cases can spark it. chances are minimal.

4 hours ago, remixer said:

It’s not about spark, it’s about the Benjamin’s.

effectively,  yes, about the money... but there was a legit spark issue in the past.