ECsandstar

Looking to purchase new 1911

Time has come to purchase a new pistol and I'd like to get my hands on a decent 1911 in .45. I've tossed around the idea of getting a cheap RIA, Metro, or something of the like...but I cant help wanting the quality of a more well manufactured and out together pistol. I'd definitely like to keep the price under $1k, so I've been eyeing up the ruger sr series, Remington R1, Springfield mil-spec, and the colt govt. model. I would also ultimately like to keep the frame design as classic as possible so no rails or anything. Seems like most of these can be had for $800 or less.

So my question is, anyone have any input? Likes, dislikes, stories, feedback, whatever! I'm all ears (or eyes)

I just picked up a new Dan Wesson Valor for $1,000.  Someone bought it and never took it out of the box before needing the cash, so it was a consignment gun at my local dealer.  There are deals out there if you look.  Also, if you'd consider used there are lots of good ones in your price range.  Smith & Wesson E series, Kimber and Sig all come to mind.

Don't knock the Rock Island.  They are great shooters.   

Ok, I'll say it again...

Look at the Springfield Armory Mil-Spec.  6ish should get you in the game.  

Shoot the p*s$ out of it.  

If you choose to, you can:
A) upgrade and work on it yourself.  
B) send it to a 'smith to have it worked on.
C) shoot it as is.

The Mil-Spec is an amazing base pistol.  It's also a pistol that most smith's will work on without reservation.  The frame is forged.  That means, if you decide to get the frontstrap checkered there will be very little chance of a void.  They also are pretty within "spec" so there isn't a ton of straightening to be done on them.  They are as classic as it gets with only rear cocking serrations.  Or, you can spend the coin little by slow and have it turned into a personal version of the SA Pro.  Your call.

I have one and love it.  I've done work to it and enjoy shooting it when I'm in the mood for shooting 45ACP (which isn't often).  It's just an awesome gun.  

Image (2).png

• Like 3