Zeke

Electric cars as the norm vs the exception

17 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Tesla buyers AREN'T buy Tesla because of the technology. It's a cult following, just to say you have a Tesla, that's why they pay double. Just like Apple when they first came out. Macs, iPhones, iPods, etc. a;; cost DOUBLE what the competition was offering, but people bought them anyway, just because it said "Apple" on the outside.

Tesla's are no different. They buy Teslas just to tell their friends "I have a Tesla". If it was because they just wanted a EV, there are other they could buy for a lot less.

I totally disagree with that. Tesla just like Apple are revolutionary companies bringing innovative & quality products to the masses. They both push the envelope with product development and design...then everyone tries to copy them. People are willing to pay for that. There is no cult involved.  As far as comparable cars, right now there are none. A Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf don’t even come close.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, carl_g said:

I totally disagree with that. Tesla just like Apple are revolutionary companies bringing innovative & quality products to the masses. They both push the envelope with product development and design...then everyone tries to copy them. People are willing to pay for that. There is no cult involved.  As far as comparable cars, right now there are none. A Chevy Volt or Nissan Leaf don’t even come close.

Tesla definitely changed the narrative. And is setting the bar.

But it’s lonely at the top

22 hours ago, SmittyMHS said:

I predict we are 2 maybe 3 election cycles away from the libs taking over our country. (unless they implode before that) Then they will tell us just who has to buy EVs. If you drive less then X miles a week to work it will be mandated that you must get an EV. It wont be your choice. As will be most purchases. They know best what you need. It's for the better good you know. 

less if trump doesn't win in 2020

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Darrenf said:

How many tools do you have that use electric motors?  Now, how many of those motors failed under normal use?  An electric motor has 3 moving parts.  It's some weird fantasy you've cooked up that they will be sitting in need of repairs.  They have many fewer point of failure that our traditional vehicles, and as a result their maintenance is greatly reduced.  there are now Tesla's with 400,000 miles on them that have needed nothing but wipers and tires.  They don't even need their Brembo brake pads replaced in those incredible durations, because they rarely use their brakes.

alternators and starters fail all the time. my vornado fan just failed. my old window fan just failed. the blower motor on my waste oil heater just failed. Everything fails. 

4 hours ago, Darrenf said:

No "libs" will need to force this upon us, as more and more people get to experience driving electric, they will fairly quickly adopt then as soon as they are able to afford them.  There is a reason that Porsche and Audi are so aggressively going electric, it's because they lost a ton of sales to Tesla, because once those demanding owners had a taste of a driving experience that was worlds better, they had no interest in ICE any more.

All the talk about them not being green, in addition to being incorrect, is irrelevant, because Tesla has shown that EV's don't necessarily have to be about virtue signalling, they can in fact be much more fun and exciting cars.  That's the reason they don't advertise and can't build them quickly enough.  So many of you just sound like rubes clinging to your older tech, as if the future can't be fun.

those that buy a tesla just for a so-called experience......they're not true "car" people. or gearheads. the driving experience comes from turning that key and hearing/feeling 650, 750, or even 1,000hp fire up. you're strapped in, the noise gives ya a hardon. the smell of the exhaust, the adrennian rush when ya pop the throttle a couple times. the smell of burning rubber. THAT is the driving experience for a true car guy/gearhead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

42 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

alternators and starters fail all the time. my vornado fan just failed. my old window fan just failed. the blower motor on my waste oil heater just failed. Everything fails. 

those that buy a tesla just for a so-called experience......they're not true "car" people. or gearheads. the driving experience comes from turning that key and hearing/feeling 650, 750, or even 1,000hp fire up. you're strapped in, the noise gives ya a hardon. the smell of the exhaust, the adrennian rush when ya pop the throttle a couple times. the smell of burning rubber. THAT is the driving experience for a true car guy/gearhead. 

Some of us get that feeling turning the key on a 51 year old vehicle and hearing the 60hp fire up.  Same feeling, just different end of the spectrum.  I drove an electric rental once, meh.

• Agree 1

51 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Some of us get that feeling turning the key on a 51 year old vehicle and hearing the 60hp fire up.  Same feeling, just different end of the spectrum.  I drove an electric rental once, meh.

point taken. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

those that buy a tesla just for a so-called experience......they're not true "car" people. or gearheads. the driving experience comes from turning that key and hearing/feeling 650, 750, or even 1,000hp fire up. you're strapped in, the noise gives ya a hardon. the smell of the exhaust, the adrennian rush when ya pop the throttle a couple times.

And when the EV owners turn the key, they hear the roar of the ....

Wait, they won't hear anything, is this why girly-men go for Teslas? They don't want to ruin their manicures checking their oil?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Wait, they won't hear anything, is this why girly-men go for Teslas? They don't want to ruin their manicures checking their oil?

Just like men own guns because of their small dicks.  Man you sound like an idiot.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sniper said:

no one checks their oil anymore

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Weekly PM for me!! I CHANGE my own oil too!!

in CAP we always check our vehicles the first use of each day. my leo friend is the only cop on his dept that does the same. he never takes a patrol vehicle out without a preflight.

7 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Just like men own guns because of their small dicks.  Man you sound like an idiot.

Nah, I don't need to spend $80K for a status symbol. Those are the guys with the small dicks. Real men drive trucks, girly-men drive.... do you have a Prius by any chance?

17 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Nah, I don't need to spend $80K for a status symbol. Those are the guys with the small dicks. Real men drive trucks, girly-men drive.... do you have a Prius by any chance?

It's cute that you think you aren't proving my point.

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

next thing ya know people are gonna be asking for safe spaces and all

I’m gonna get a Tesla jus to race you!

and I will win! And I will be glorious! And infamous! And awesomeness!

but, you know I’ll win. Old American muscle vs new American muscle 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zeke said:

I’m gonna get a Tesla jus to race you!

and I will win! And I will be glorious! And infamous! And awesomeness!

but, you know I’ll win. Old American muscle vs new American muscle 

Once you feel the instant torque of a serious electric car, if you aren't hooked, then you aren't a car guy. I know you get it Zeke, but I'll say it again for some others here.  Like I said, there is a reason Porsche and Audi lost so many sales the last few years. Electric cars can be an absolute thrill to drive.  All the legacy manufacturers made them ugly and anemic for a reason, to sway the buying public away from them, and some here have bought it. That is the opening Tesla saw and they took it and ran with it. One drive is all it takes to open your eyes, but of course, you have to be willing to open your eyes.

• Like 1