Zeke

Electric cars as the norm vs the exception

I looked at electric and hybrids just last year when I was car shopping. Toyota rates their battery pack for the Prius at 150,000 miles the. It’s a $10,000 part swap out plus labor. Look at the used market, Prius (Priai ?? priuses? What’s the plural of Prius? ) that are near 150,000 miles even if they are only a few years old are going for $5000 or less on the market. 

I checked other models like the Honda Civic hybrid and the Chevy Volt. They are getting there but still the premium price makes a gas engine more affordable overall. I’m the perfect candidate for an electric or hybrid though, 3 mile commute to work, low annual mileage, not a lot of heavy highway mileage, etc. I ended up with a GMC Terrain. Around town I get 26-28 mpg, on the highway I am around 40 - 45 mpg using cruise control and staying at sub light speeds. That beats my motorcycle’s mileage with both numbers! 

-Jim

57 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Still a price decrease, just not as great. The prices dropped an average of 6% but now they will raise them 3% of the current price, not 3% higher than the original price.    The backlash to the price decreases was a little crazy.  There were actually protests in some countries!  Can you imagine protesting lower prices?  That said, Tesla does still deserve a good bit of blame here, as the official words from Tesla on their web site and what Elon were tweeting didn't always match up.  An example would be the upgrade to Full Self Driving was listed at $3k on the web site but Elon said it was $2k.  4 days later the website was revised to the $2k price, but now this morning we are told on Monday it will be going back up, but no post about how much it will be going back up.    

I can empathize with both sides on the price drop, with the price decreases some people were rightfully concerned about their car's resale value going down, but at the same time Tesla has been very clear about their mission, to accelerate the transition to EVs by making them both desirable and affordable.  If you purchased any Tesla up to this point without knowing you were in part helping to finance that future, then you really just weren't paying attention.  But again, you could have been aware of that mission, and agreed to the hit you would take by paying a little more before, but still shocked when smacked with an artificially accelerated depreciation.  It's a tight rope Tesla is walking for sure, and the past couple of weeks they were very cavalier about it.  Hopefully they learned something here.  From what I have seen they do tend to learn from their mistakes.  

all in all, there is nothing wrong with electric, if you're willing to plug your car in, and if you can afford it. these will never completley replace the internal combustion engine. unless we get some dimotard with enough ooomph to push that.

internal combustion engine powered cars though will more than likely become rich boys toys in the not too distant future. electrics when they become popular enough will create issues with the grid. more than likely electric providers will pick up on rush hour type pricing, due to the fact that many people will be coming home in the same ballpark timeframe, and plugging their shit in.

in places like commifornia where they already have rolling brown(black)outs, this will become fairly interesting too, as i believe what? 40-50% of their power is actually imported?

me personally? i don't care whatcha drive. you can drive a suzuki shitbox for all i care. just don't be acting snobby when someone rolls up next to ya in a 800hp stang, or a suv with front and back ends in different zip codes.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

all in all, there is nothing wrong with electric, if you're willing to plug your car in, and if you can afford it. these will never completley replace the internal combustion engine.

Y'all could close the thread on this note.

You won't, but you could.

• Like 1
  • Crazy 1

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

all in all, there is nothing wrong with electric, if you're willing to plug your car in, and if you can afford it. these will never completley replace the internal combustion engine. unless we get some dimotard with enough ooomph to push that.

internal combustion engine powered cars though will more than likely become rich boys toys in the not too distant future. electrics when they become popular enough will create issues with the grid. more than likely electric providers will pick up on rush hour type pricing, due to the fact that many people will be coming home in the same ballpark timeframe, and plugging their shit in.

in places like commifornia where they already have rolling brown(black)outs, this will become fairly interesting too, as i believe what? 40-50% of their power is actually imported?

me personally? i don't care whatcha drive. you can drive a suzuki shitbox for all i care. just don't be acting snobby when someone rolls up next to ya in a 800hp stang, or a suv with front and back ends in different zip codes.

Wow! Agreed IC engines will never go completely away but like it or not electric looks like it is the future and Tesla has raised the bar pretty high. Just like the iphone, more companies will build on their success, create competition and ultimately offer a better, more refined car.. I am no sierra club member..In fact I hate those fucks.. I still ride a 2-stroke motorcycle. I like to mix gas and oil. I love the smell of 2-strokes in the morning :) That said, people can't bury their head in the sand and pretend like it's not going to happen... It just makes them sound like grumpy old men tying to hold onto the past.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Last time moron, I never said anything doesn't die, in fact I explicitly said nothing lasts forever multiple times.  Of course you'd think a couple people with anecdotes now proves that internal engines are more reliable than electric.  I never said they never fail, I said they are more reliable.  Once again you show your stupidity, and you are so proud of it, fascinating.

You keep clinging to this, again showing you have no idea of which you speak, but you believe it completely.  Is that stupidity, or arrogance?  As I said, I do know exactly what happens, you keep implying something bad happens, because as I said, you think your opinion is fact.  

Since you've tried to weasel out of this 3 times now, I'll end the suspense (are you too stupid to google "Tesla reboot while driving"?

Facts don't care about your feelings....

Sure they are.  You are just like the main stream media on Trump, really reaching to find negative things to say, while ignoring everything else.

Most people aren't amazed by what isn't there, congrats.

And my last bit of info for you, (and I'm sure you will have many insults to try to bait me, but it won't work, I don't care about your out of touch opinion)...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sap/2018/09/06/seven-reasons-why-the-internal-combustion-engine-is-a-dead-man-walking-updated/#39e7dd9603fe

So which jackass wrote this?

"Lots of them. Never had an electric motor fail under normal use. Belts, chucks, control units, impellers, bearings? Yep. The motor. Nope. "

Step away from the koolaid, fan boy, it is affecting your mind.

What does it tell you when you are the ONLY one in this thread, that thinks this car is ready?

Ahhh, yes. That reliable computer.....

A Tesla Model S owner crashed his vehicle into a river near a Supercharger station in China and he claims that the vehicle accelerated on its own – in yet another alleged event of unintended acceleration.

Xiao Chen was pulling into the Supercharger station when he claims that his Model S accelerated out of control.

The Model S ended up going through a fence and plunging in the river.

Tesla and Unintended Acceleration Events

Tesla vehicles have been involved in several unintended acceleration events, which consists of vehicles accelerating without it being the driver’s intention – whether it is due to malfunction or driver error.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/10/tesla-crash-river-claim-unintended-accelerated/

49 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Ahhh, yes. That reliable computer.....

A Tesla Model S owner crashed his vehicle into a river near a Supercharger station in China and he claims that the vehicle accelerated on its own – in yet another alleged event of unintended acceleration.

Xiao Chen was pulling into the Supercharger station when he claims that his Model S accelerated out of control.

The Model S ended up going through a fence and plunging in the river.

Tesla and Unintended Acceleration Events

Tesla vehicles have been involved in several unintended acceleration events, which consists of vehicles accelerating without it being the driver’s intention – whether it is due to malfunction or driver error.

https://electrek.co/2019/03/10/tesla-crash-river-claim-unintended-accelerated/

Anyone can play your stupid game...

GM recalls 1 million pickup trucks, SUVs that could suffer steering malfunction
Nathan Bomey, USA TODAYPublished 10:57 a.m. ET Sept. 13, 2018 | Updated 3:34 p.m. ET Sept. 13, 2018

General Motors is recalling more than 1 million full-size pickups and large SUVs that could suffer a steering malfunction leading to crashes.

GM said it had identified 30 crashes, two injuries and no deaths connected to the defect.

The recall covers certain 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC 1500 pickups, as well as 2015 Chevy Tahoe, Chevy Suburban, GMC Yukon and Cadillac Escalade SUVs.

While the recall covers 1.02 million vehicles, GM estimated that the defect affects only about 2 percent of the units.

The Silverado, GM's most popular model, makes up about 44 percent of the recalled vehicles.

"These vehicles may experience a temporary loss of" electric power steering, "followed by a sudden return," especially "during low-speed turning maneuvers," GM told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration in a regulatory document.

"The loss and sudden return of EPS assist typically happens within a 1 second period and is caused by an electrical/software issue," GM said.

The defect could cause drivers to "have difficulty steering the vehicle, especially at low speeds, increasing the risk of a crash," according to GM.

The automaker said it launched a safety investigation on the matter on June 28. After analyzing customer complaints, conducting tests and completing engineering analyses, the automaker decided Aug. 30 to initiate a recall.

Customers will be notified if they are affected and will receive repairs for free.

Dealers will conduct a software fix to rectify the defect.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2018/09/13/gm-chevrolet-gmc-truck-recall/1289064002/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

something just hit me.

much of the arguments in favor of electric cars(remember, i don't give a dam 1 way or the other about them) could also be used for reasoning in favor of smart guns.

i'm gonna run n hide now, lolololol

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

something just hit me.

much of the arguments in favor of electric cars(remember, i don't give a dam 1 way or the other about them) could also be used for reasoning in favor of smart guns.

I don’t know bout that. More like best home defense round/caliber/platform.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I don’t know bout that. More like best home defense round/caliber/platform.

well...think about it. it's being argued here in this thread how reliable the tech is, right?  yet in the threads against sg's, it's been argued how unreliable the tech is.

also bear in mind, i'm fully against smartguns, and will never own one

unless i can get it stupid cheap and dissemble it to bypass the tech

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Anyone can play your stupid game...

GM said it had identified 30 crashes, two injuries and no deaths connected to the defect.

How many people got incinerated due to Autopilot malfunction or got beheaded? 

Oh, none...

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

something just hit me.

Actually, the argument I'm making would be the exact opposite.  The biggest reason to dislike a smartgun is that it adds complexity, meaning you now have more points of failure.  An electric motor has 3 moving parts counting the bearings.  And internal combustion engine has hundreds.  Just because something is a newer technology doesn't mean it is more complex, and that is what some here are missing.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

An electric motor has 3 moving parts counting the bearings.  And internal combustion engine has hundreds.  Just because something is a newer technology doesn't mean it is more complex, and that is what some here are missing.

It's not the motor itself that's the issue, it's all the electronics surrounding it. Computers/technology screwup way more frequently than mechanical parts. When was the last time you heard someone breaking a connecting rod, losing a main bearing or bending a valve? It's usually the sensors/electrical parts that mess up.

Then add tons more into a Tesla, what's that a recipe for?

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

It's not the motor itself that's the issue, it's all the electronics surrounding it. Computers/technology screwup way more frequently than mechanical parts. When was the last time you heard someone breaking a connecting rod, losing a main bearing or bending a valve? It's usually the sensors/electrical parts that mess up.

Then add tons more into a Tesla, what's that a recipe for?

And as you keep ignoring, all modern automobiles are chock full of computers running everything.  

And it's funny you ask when was the last time I heard of someone throwing a connecting rod.  Happened to one of my cars just 3 weeks ago.  But, the resulting fireball in my rear view mirror was so much fun it was almost worth the loss of the car.  

just saw this video on farcebook……..copo camaros. i'm sure the gearheads here know what those are. they're chevy's attempt to unseat the cobrajet mustangs. they're close, but still slower. well.....looks like chevy's built a "ecopo" camaro. while it's a beautiful looking car, and kinda cool......it's still slower. by almost a full second than the cobrajet. 

in this video, the thing goes 9.83@134mph. while they claim it's still not at full power......our shop camaro with just a built to shit 454 ran 9.96@131mph while detuned. 

\

now after seeing that boring ass run, lets look at something fun.....on a bad day these run 8.50's. I've seen them in the 7's. and that sound...….holy shit if that sound doesn't send chills down your spine, then you're not alive, lolololol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darrenf said:

Love the Cobrajet, so sad that Englishtown is no more.

what I've been told is that the owner passed away, and the kids inherited the facility. for whatever reason, they kept the motocross and dirt tracks, but are supposedly renting out the part that used to be used for the drags to copart., 

while I only ran there twice, I liked the place. their facilities put atco to shame. but......I liked atco's starting line better. I always seemed to be able to launch better at atco…..

Atco is definitely a better track to drive on, but I did enjoy going to the Summernats at Englishtown just to watch. My greatest victory is at Englishtown. I think it was the summer of 92. Muscle Car Magazine show and go. Over 2000 cars entered and I made the final. Lost to a freaking Grand National by redlighting in the damn final. That was a long damn day, I think there were like 12 or 13 rounds. 

I got runner up twice on sat nite bracket racing. I was running a 1980 camaro sleeper.Runner up paid 2-300 dollars

It  had a 69 427 big blockTH 400 , And 411 gears out back Cammed up,  ported heads 850 holley DP .

It had a 2200 stall converter with full  frame connectors.mid 12 sec car. I miss this car...

Scanned Image-3.jpg

Scanned Image.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

Atco is definitely a better track to drive on, but I did enjoy going to the Summernats at Englishtown just to watch. My greatest victory is at Englishtown. I think it was the summer of 92. Muscle Car Magazine show and go. Over 2000 cars entered and I made the final. Lost to a freaking Grand National by redlighting in the damn final. That was a long damn day, I think there were like 12 or 13 rounds. 

my first real win at atco was on a classic car sunday. all the gamblers race regulars were there. first round I lined up next to this amx. he'd put me on the trailer a few times on gamblers race night. 

anyway.... set the delay box, staged, got on the trans brake, and as soon as I saw his stage light on, I was up on the 2step. tree came down, and I was gone on the flicker of yellow on the last yellow. near perfect light, ran my number dead on, and put his ass on the trailer. I made it to semi's, and ran out. by almost a full tenth. that sucked. but I was happy as shit to have made it that far. 

speaking on gamblers night. you ever drive a 9.9 car, and have to handicap a bone stock 1989 crown vic? I did. know how fucking long that 9+ seconds feels??

20 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

I got runner up twice on sat nite bracket racing. I was running a 1980 camaro sleeper.Runner up paid 2-300 dollars

It  had a 69 427 big blockTH 400 , And 411 gears out back Cammaed up,  ported heads 850 holley DP .

It had a 2200 stall converter with full  frame connectors.mid 12 sec car. I miss this car...

Scanned Image-3.jpg

Scanned Image.jpg

depending on the cam, you coulda probably gotten easily into the low 11's with a 3500 stall, and a smaller carb. 

• Like 2

I love all these stories......

I miss going to Englishtown for the Summer Nationals....  I plan on going to Maple Grove in Sept to watch the pro's 

The good thing is.... Island Dragway is doing well, and I plan on going there regularly to watch the bracket racers.... 

I dont run the GTO anymore.....  just not worth the risk of blowing up a numbers matching engine.  And since it is stock, it is slow compared to most cars.

Once I retire... I will look to build a bracket car, but just no room, time or money to do it now....

Fuck electric cars....... do not care how fast they can be........ they have no "soul"

9 hours ago, 67gtonut said:

Fuck electric cars....... do not care how fast they can be........ they have no "soul"

@67gtonut:

At this stage of the development of all-electric cars, I agree with you....
Until the technological development of battery charge life and subsequent driving time/distance improves, I do not see a major shift in public acceptance, let alone demand for electric cars.  From what I have read, my guess is that we are at least a decade away from seeing those major improvements.   But the question will remain...  Will those new electric cars have any individual character or personality, as so many classic and special interest cars of years gone by?  Will those future electric vehicles be as much fun to drive and will they create a passionate following among future car enthusiasts, as so many wonderfully unique older internal combustion engine powered cars?  Who really knows....?

AVB-AMG

You guys know that electric cars would cripple our electric grid if it were the norm, not to mention the power needed to handle electric cars would require lots of coal plants to generate that power (since we cant have any new nuclear plants licensed at this point) which would negate the reason to have electric cars.

• Like 3