Zeke

Electric cars as the norm vs the exception

Just now, Kevin125 said:

Why wouldn’t you use 220?  Just about house built in our lifetime has 220.

Charges in a decent amount of time.  But the EVs are just overpriced for wht they are.....

mass produced bland cars.

Cuz he’s stealing it from his neighbor?

1 hour ago, Bighungry618 said:

Mixed parts and failed ideas? 

I mean I can see how there is zero up side to sticking the mustang name plate on a crossover. You will gain nothing but backlash. 

That bit aside though, SUVs and CUVs aren't failed ideas. Being a new EV, it will likely share less parts bin staples than other models. 

Unless yo mean the mustang. Because the notion is that for the next one it'll be based on an SUV chassis, kind of like the taurus before they killed it. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Mixed parts and failed ideas? 

I mean I can see how there is zero up side to sticking the mustang name plate on a crossover. You will gain nothing but backlash. 

That bit aside though, SUVs and CUVs aren't failed ideas. Being a new EV, it will likely share less parts bin staples than other models. 

Unless yo mean the mustang. Because the notion is that for the next one it'll be based on an SUV chassis, kind of like the taurus before they killed it. 

I thought we already settled this debate.

Consensus was if you want an electric vehicle buy this.

71TMnkMVueL._SX425_.jpg

• Like 2

On 3/15/2019 at 7:51 AM, remixer said:

LOL

Listen to me...... Im telling you.....   I thought those cars were a joke UNTIL a customer said jump in..

I was in shock..... We hit well over 100 MPH in a blink of an eye and not a single tire spun... that sucker gripped the road like nothing i've ever seen.

If you have never been in a tesla try it (with a driver who's nuts) you will come out of this as shocked as i was.

0-60 2.4 seconds for a 5,000 lb street luxury sedan is really impressive.  It hurt my gut a bit

• Like 1

Last week when cleaning the car I noticed the rear arm rest had a cut in the leather.  It's either something that was that way at the factory, or one of my passengers sliced it with something(highly unlikely).  Regardless, Tesla is sending a mobile service technician to replace it this Friday while the car is parked at work.  No need to take any time out of my day to run the car to the service center.

I may have mentioned earlier in the thread that I pre-orderd the Taycan.  I like electric cars because they're fast and very cool tech.  

• Like 1

On 3/18/2019 at 8:20 PM, Zeke said:

https://products.rivian.com/

amazon? $700 million investment 

There were a bunch in the 700 million but amazon was the lead.  That will help legitimize Rivian who has had some fits and starts along the way.  There trucks should be interesting.  If you are into trucks you should check this one out. 

https://www.bollingermotors.com/

1 minute ago, Darrenf said:

I will buy you dinner if I can get a ride. :)

You can ride in it for free.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Rob0115 said:

There were a bunch in the 700 million but amazon was the lead.  That will help legitimize Rivian who has had some fits and starts along the way.  There trucks should be interesting.  If you are into trucks you should check this one out. 

https://www.bollingermotors.com/

You can ride in it for free.  

Ford and Chevy have announced e trucks.

Id rock one if it can go 400, tow 10,000 , 4x8 bed, 3/4 ton cargo and not a bazillion dollars. 

3 hours ago, Darrenf said:

Last week when cleaning the car I noticed the rear arm rest had a cut in the leather.  It's either something that was that way at the factory, or one of my passengers sliced it with something(highly unlikely).  Regardless, Tesla is sending a mobile service technician to replace it this Friday while the car is parked at work.  No need to take any time out of my day to run the car to the service center.

That's nice and all, but probably not a sustainable business model at $35k a ride. 

I think a lot of EV fans get butthurt over people saying EVs aren't viable because they confuse it with saying it's bad vehicle. 

It's a niche vehicle. That doesn't mean it's bad, it means it's not viable for a lot of people. 

Personally, I think electric trucks and off roaders should be inherently cool. Electric motors are super good at doing what make them good. It's just that batteries aren't yet, at least not a price point that has you coming up with a sub $125k truck. 

12 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

That's nice and all, but probably not a sustainable business model at $35k a ride. 

I think a lot of EV fans get butthurt over people saying EVs aren't viable because they confuse it with saying it's bad vehicle. 

It's a niche vehicle. That doesn't mean it's bad, it means it's not viable for a lot of people. 

Personally, I think electric trucks and off roaders should be inherently cool. Electric motors are super good at doing what make them good. It's just that batteries aren't yet, at least not a price point that has you coming up with a sub $125k truck. 

It is very nice, and I thought for sure that service would have gone away with the lower priced cars, or at least not be available to those owners, yet they are still doing it.  Time will tell.

The expected price of the Tesla Semi with 300 mile range is $150,000, so when they finally release their truck, (which is supposed to be unveiled this year and is the product that Musk says he is most excited about), we will see.  I am jazzed to see what they come out with.

11 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ford and Chevy have announced e trucks.

Id rock one if it can go 400, tow 10,000 , 4x8 bed, 3/4 ton cargo and not a bazillion dollars. 

ford's supposedly gonna have a hybrid mustang for 2020......not an econo-shitbox one either. I guess we'll see. 

I was watching the 4-wide nats sunday. they talked about the e-copo slomaro. they were proud that it ran a 9.8 second 1/4 mile. yet.....the big block one runs a full second faster, which is still a half second slower than a cobrajet mustang. and while someone that doesn't know drag racing will think that 1 second or 1.5 seconds is nothing? in the realm of a drag race, 1 second is like a couple minutes on a longer road course...….

3 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

ford's supposedly gonna have a hybrid mustang for 2020......not an econo-shitbox one either. I guess we'll see. 

I was watching the 4-wide nats sunday. they talked about the e-copo slomaro. they were proud that it ran a 9.8 second 1/4 mile. yet.....the big block one runs a full second faster, which is still a half second slower than a cobrajet mustang. and while someone that doesn't know drag racing will think that 1 second or 1.5 seconds is nothing? in the realm of a drag race, 1 second is like a couple minutes on a longer road course...….

Meh, give it time.

compare cars of today to 30 years ago. 

Just now, Zeke said:

Meh, give it time.

compare cars of today to 30 years ago. 

oohh I know...….but for the most part there shouldn't be any reason for it to be so slow......

also...the cobrajert's running low 8's high 7's on a 5.0, while the slomaro's using a 427 I think. 

also also.....the ecopo just had no soul. I think if I were the teams driver, and they told me I hadda drive that car, i'd do it once, just to see how it felt...….with nothing to give it any heart and soul though? once would be it. would be like riding an electric harley

I will apologize in advance for this post being off the topic of the thread's title, but for the lack of a more appropriate thread on where to post this, I decided to post this here.

I received an email today from RM Sotheby’s auction house with an update of the various automobiles that they have had consigned for auction at this year’s big automobile auction in Monterey, CA in August.  I had to chuckle when I saw this and read about it and had to think of NJGF’s very own, @Mrs. Peel.  This would be quite the comical conversation vehicle to drive around town, but I would be very reluctant to attempt to take it out on any sort of highway.  How about it.... would you like me to bid on this car for you Mrs. Peel?

FYI, the Trident was manufactured by Peel, a building of fiberglass boats and motorcycle parts, located on the Isle of Man in the Irish Sea.  The Peel Trident was launched at the 1964 British Motorcycle Show in the UK and is one of the smallest cars ever made in any quantity.  It was made from the fall of 1963 to the end of 1964, with a total production of 80 Tridents.  The body is made from fiberglass, with a clear Plexiglas bubble top, that serves as the roof and windshield and folds forward to open, allowing access.  It could be had with either one or two seats and runs on 5” tires.  It is powered by a 49 cc 4.2 hp DKWengie scooter engine coupled to a 3-speed transmission, (forward gears only), that gives the 330 lb car a top speed of 28 mph and prodigious gas mileage of 83 mpg.

AVB-AMG

image.png.9d7f8e267c0d6730fa2e3a37fdfe8bfc.png

image.png.30eb7adb026fc886060cc67e8de936e6.png

image.png.416c415a0f9e75555aba286e5dd9af08.png

image.png.0769dae8c4e4d31b80015508035a11a4.png

• Crazy 1

2 hours ago, Zeke said:

Ford is dumping half a billion into Rivian also

Plus the amazon led 750 million. Saw the Rivian at the auto show.  It looked fantastic. 

1 minute ago, Rob0115 said:

Plus the amazon led 750 million. Saw the Rivian at the auto show.  It looked fantastic. 

They need a real truck, not these Honda faux truck platforms. 8’ bed, 400 mile range, 10’000 tow

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

They need a real truck, not these Honda faux truck platforms. 8’ bed, 400 mile range, 10’000 tow

Except, the majority of guys who buy "real trucks" only use them to drive back and forth to the grocery store. They're compensating for what's missing "below".

4 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

How about it.... would you like me to bid on this car for you Mrs. Peel?

Well if you WANT to buy this namesake vehicle for me... I certainly won't stop you! :wub: 

But, I think @W2MC really understands me better... because I'd much prefer that snazzy vintage Lotus (if given the option). 

On 3/14/2019 at 7:52 AM, AVB-AMG said:

Will those future electric vehicles be as much fun to drive

Instantaneous  torque, four wheel independent traction control. electronic breaking, yeah, they'll be fun to drive.  BTW, talking electric cars is sooo 2018.  Hydro-Electric hybrids will be the future.

If this story is true, this could change everything and electric cars will be the norm.  Currently they are far from the norm.

Could end reliance on oil based energy.  Which means the Middle East could go pound sand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592485/Father-eight-invents-electric-car-battery-drivers-1-500-miles-without-charging-it.html

2 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

If this story is true, this could change everything and electric cars will be the norm.  Currently they are far from the norm.

Could end reliance on oil based energy.  Which means the Middle East could go pound sand.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7592485/Father-eight-invents-electric-car-battery-drivers-1-500-miles-without-charging-it.html

Every week there is someone claiming something like this.  It never happens, because the story is bullshit.  Battery technology is moving quickly, but it won't be some guy in his basement, the sophistication has moved well beyond that, and the money is flowing in for research.

Also, his idea is just stupid.  I'd have to replace the battery about every 6 weeks.  F that.