Zeke

Electric cars as the norm vs the exception

The story is likely bullshit. Aluminum-air batteries have been around since the 80s as ev batteries. if problems can be fixed with them without negatively impacting power density, they would have longer range at the same weight. 

that being said, right now there is a ton of money being thrown at differing chemistries by auto makers, data centers, etc.  If this didn’t have real issues people would be throwing tricks of money at buying him out rather than shunning the guy. 

• Like 1

Does anyone here own a model 3, specifically the dual motor model(AWD)?

Wondering your experience so far and also  what you would compare the interior room to? A 3 series?  Accord? Can adults sit comfortably in the back seats or is it tight back there?

I wouldn’t do a road trip with adults in the back, but for 2 hours or less 2 in the back is fine.  Less than an hour for 3 people in the back.  Of course height is also a factor.  My wife’s mother and uncle are both 6 feet tall, and they along with her father were comfortable in the back, but we only went for 1/2 hour ride with them back there. I wouldn’t feel comfortable having them back there more than an hour. 

• Informative 1

Commuter bike is one of the areas where I think EVs are real close to being ready for prime time. They have the range at a not too absurd premium with a decent feature set and recharge sufficiently during a work day with a regular old 110v plug. 

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Commuter bike is one of the areas where I think EVs are real close to being ready for prime time. They have the range at a not too absurd premium with a decent feature set and recharge sufficiently during a work day with a regular old 110v plug. 

@carl_g knows when ev dB. Become more common, the woods are gonna open up!

no Db’s

32 minutes ago, Zeke said:

@carl_g knows when ev dB. Become more common, the woods are gonna open up!

no Db’s

OK, I'll guess electric dirt bikes?  The zero FX is a dual sport and is relatively speaking cheap. Dunno that more woods would become available as restrictions are usually based on erosion, not sound or emissions. Except maybe fire risk exclusions. 

*shrug*

Or maybe jsut try writing in whole words and such. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

OK, I'll guess electric dirt bikes?  The zero FX is a dual sport and is relatively speaking cheap. Dunno that more woods would become available as restrictions are usually based on erosion, not sound or emissions. Except maybe fire risk exclusions. 

*shrug*

If nobody knows you are there... they ain’t bitchin!

and to respond to your suggestion... no.:ninja:

I wanna be on the leaderboards. It makes you a big deal on da internet. True story...

7 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Wow, you really are expecting miracles, aren't you?

6 hours ago, Zeke said:

I wanna be on the leaderboards. It makes you a big deal on da internet. True story...

Some people just aren't as special as they think they are.

• Disagree 1

On 10/25/2019 at 3:32 PM, Zeke said:

If nobody knows you are there... they ain’t bitchin!

and to respond to your suggestion... no.:ninja:

No zero FX..... KTM!! Hell yeah!!

On 10/25/2019 at 9:48 PM, Sniper said:

Wow, you really are expecting miracles, aren't you?

Some people just aren't as special as they think they are.

Troll....

• Haha 2

On 10/24/2019 at 2:56 PM, Downtownv said:

I'm actually looking at the Harley Live Wire

On 10/24/2019 at 4:08 PM, raz-0 said:

@Downtownv & @raz-0:

In case you did not hear, read or see this news, Harley Davidson announced in mid-October that they were "temporarily" suspending production and delivery of new LiveWire Motorcycles due to problems with their 120-volt charging systems.  Since this is a completely new type of motorcycle and the first generation is clearly experiencing some bugs that need to be worked out, you may want to consider holding off a bit until this issue and undoubtedly other issues are ferreted out, diagnosed and corrected before you decide to purchase one.  Yet, it is a very intriguing bike that reportedly goes from 0-60 mph in 3 seconds...

AVB-AMG

https://www.forbes.com/sites/billroberson/2019/10/15/harley-davidsons-livewire-snafu-wasnt-a-death-knell-it-was-good-qc/#59621a7925b2

• Like 1

Tesla unveils it's Cybertruck... and it didn't go so well....

106260631-1574424872128ap_19326174704952

Hey Elon, nice job on those bulletproof windows, that would hold up to a 9mm round... except they broke when a metal ball was thrown at them...  :mutley:

Also, hey Elon, who did you get to design this disaster? Some 3rd grader looking to copy a DeLorean?

106259845-1574398678654cybertruck-onroad

I wonder if Darren has his order in yet for one????

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/21/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled.html

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Tesla unveils it's Cybertruck... and it didn't go so well....

106260631-1574424872128ap_19326174704952

Hey Elon, nice job on those bulletproof windows, that would hold up to a 9mm round... except they broke when a metal ball was thrown at them...  :mutley:

Also, hey Elon, who did you get to design this disaster? Some 3rd grader looking to copy a DeLorean?

106259845-1574398678654cybertruck-onroad

I wonder if Darren has his order in yet for one????

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/21/tesla-cybertruck-unveiled.html

Can you picture this with a plow on it?

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

Can you picture this with a plow on it?

It looks like Ford and GM aren't worried:

• Wall Street analysts are all talking about the dramatic styling of Tesla’s Cybertruck.
  • “Tesla’s Cybertruck looks weird … like, really weird,” a Bernstein analyst says.
  • Credit Suisse says companies like Ford and General Motors “can breathe a sigh of relief.”
  • “We were still surprised how futuristic he went with this one and believe it may shatter his dreams,” Cowen says.

Yet skeptical Tesla analysts don’t expect Cybertruck will be a serious competitor in the pickup market, with Credit Suisse saying that companies like Ford and General Motors “can breathe a sigh of relief.” Cowen analyst Jeffrey Osborne said that “Tesla appears to have rushed its launch of the Cybertruck.”

“Musk has been enthusiastic about his Blade Runner inspired design for months, but we were still surprised how futuristic he went with this one and believe it may shatter his dreams,” Osborne said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/22/wall-street-on-teslas-new-pickup-cybertruck-looks-weird.html

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

It looks like Ford and GM aren't worried:

• Wall Street analysts are all talking about the dramatic styling of Tesla’s Cybertruck.
  • “Tesla’s Cybertruck looks weird … like, really weird,” a Bernstein analyst says.
  • Credit Suisse says companies like Ford and General Motors “can breathe a sigh of relief.”
  • “We were still surprised how futuristic he went with this one and believe it may shatter his dreams,” Cowen says.

Yet skeptical Tesla analysts don’t expect Cybertruck will be a serious competitor in the pickup market, with Credit Suisse saying that companies like Ford and General Motors “can breathe a sigh of relief.” Cowen analyst Jeffrey Osborne said that “Tesla appears to have rushed its launch of the Cybertruck.”

“Musk has been enthusiastic about his Blade Runner inspired design for months, but we were still surprised how futuristic he went with this one and believe it may shatter his dreams,” Osborne said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/22/wall-street-on-teslas-new-pickup-cybertruck-looks-weird.html

I don't blame them.  He'll get a couple of Yuppies to by one, but it'll never play in the heartland.  

I was just telling my dad that I’m shocked Tesla is still in business. 

I think he started the car company, expecting to be bought out....I think he’s shocked he’s still in the ‘car business’...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobA said:

Well if you have a Tesla in NJ, and there are a lot, Murphy is proposing a separate tax at registration time. You see Tesla’s don’t burn gas. Murphy has figured this out and realized he’s losing gas taxes. 

They’ve been kicking around a mileage tax for a while 

2 hours ago, BobA said:

Well if you have a Tesla in NJ, and there are a lot, Murphy is proposing a separate tax at registration time. You see Tesla’s don’t burn gas. Murphy has figured this out and realized he’s losing gas taxes. 

That's kinda of a good point. We pay federal and state gas taxes that are suppose to go to road maintenance (yeah, right). So, in theory, if you have a electric car, you're not paying into keeping the roads fixed, even though you use them... If electric vehicles really grab a foothold, they're going to have to go look for additional revenue, since they'll lose it from gas/diesel.