Zeke

Electric cars as the norm vs the exception

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

If electric vehicles really grab a foothold, they're going to have to go look for additional revenue, since they'll lose it from gas/diesel.

It looks like they’re grabbing that foothold and I bet the lost revenue will be made up in increased taxes, tolls, etc. I’ll assume to be dead by then so I’ll escape ownership. 

10 hours ago, Sniper said:

That's kinda of a good point. We pay federal and state gas taxes that are suppose to go to road maintenance (yeah, right). So, in theory, if you have a electric car, you're not paying into keeping the roads fixed, even though you use them... If electric vehicles really grab a foothold, they're going to have to go look for additional revenue, since they'll lose it from gas/diesel.

i think oregon is doing it already. pretty sure other states are too.

the "fair" way to do it? vehicle weighs (for instance) 4500# curb weight with 7,000# GVW. take into account what the average fuel mileage would be for vehicles in that weight class. now you've got the average tax revenue lost due to that vehicle. add that lost revenue yearly to the registration cost. lets see how these people like their electric cars when the true cost hits em.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i think oregon is doing it already. pretty sure other states are too.

the "fair" way to do it? vehicle weighs (for instance) 4500# curb weight with 7,000# GVW. take into account what the average fuel mileage would be for vehicles in that weight class. now you've got the average tax revenue lost due to that vehicle. add that lost revenue yearly to the registration cost. lets see how these people like their electric cars when the true cost hits em.

I thought Oregon does a “mileages” tax. Last I read they wanted to install monitors into the car and you get taxed on the miles you drive. 

1 hour ago, 0Jeep4 said:

I thought Oregon does a “mileages” tax. Last I read they wanted to install monitors into the car and you get taxed on the miles you drive. 

THAT brings up privacy issues, which is why i said use the average. we also need to take the vehicles weight into consideration, as heavier vehicles tear up the roads more.

44 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Why not add the tax when they use the public “charging stations”?  

because some can buy some kind of package to get "free" charging.

4 hours ago, BobA said:

It looks like they’re grabbing that foothold and I bet the lost revenue will be made up in increased taxes, tolls, etc. I’ll assume to be dead by then so I’ll escape ownership. 

Adoption of EVs is only at like 2% now... it's got a long way to go.

Elon's claiming 187K "orders" so far for his CyberContraption.   At $100 each, NOT $1,000 each, like the Model 3 was.

Just more smoke and mirrors.... What he should say is they are "pre-orders" or "reservations"... Also, there were hundreds of thousands of cancellations, like 25% on the Model 3. With only a $100 deposit, how many cancellations will he get, for a non-existent vehicle?