Bully

To the Competitive Wheelgunners

So my handgun spark has been re-ignited.  Which sucks, because I don't have a ton of time to devote to it, and even less money, but I digress...

I'm going to start shooting light competitions at Tenafly on the occasional Sunday evening.  Rather than try and buy a(nother) pistol I don't need, I'm gonna run one of my revolvers.  I have a 625JM.  Currently it sits bone stock with the exception of having the cylinders beveled.  I'm pretty comfortable cracking the sideplate off and will be doing a minor trigger job on it, and replacing the springs with the Wilson Combat set.  I also have a fiber optic front sight from Hi-Viz on the way as well as an extended cylinder release from TK Customs.  

For those that are into it, what else should I be doing?  I'm not looking to get too crazy.  I think that just grips are left on my list.  I'm gonna grab a holster at some point, but won't be rushing it as Tenafly allows a "low-ready" which is how I'll manage it for the time being.  I'll hang my moonclips off of my pockets for now. 

I'm just looking to have fun but love messing with everything I have.  

Thanks in advance. 

Others here can better answer your questions, so I’ll just add that Tenafly runs some nice low-key action matches.  I also get up there occasionally, and there are usually one or two revolver shooters in the mix. 

To complement that FO front sight, you may want to consider replacing the rear sight with a target blade. Either an LPA or Bowen Rough Country give you a great sight picture.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

10 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

To complement that FO front sight, you may want to consider replacing the rear sight with a target blade. Either an LPA or Bowen Rough Country give you a great sight picture.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'll look into them.

Got any grip recommendations?

25 minutes ago, 10X said:

Others here can better answer your questions, so I’ll just add that Tenafly runs some nice low-key action matches.  I also get up there occasionally, and there are usually one or two revolver shooters in the mix. 

I was the only one last night.  

Division winner by default!!!

42 minutes ago, Bully said:

Got any grip recommendations?

I like the Hogue Tamer grips...

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-k-l-n-x-z-frame-round-butt-rubber-conversion-monogrip-black

They will fit on any K, L, N or X round butt frame. Softer, energy absorbing rubber where they interface with the web of the hand.

Here are mine on a 625-8 PC (no longer available in yellow). Also, if you look carefully, that is a Bowen rear sight. Uses the stock front hole as well as the D&T'd hole in the frame. Windage is adjusted by loosening one screw and tightening the opposite one. As the name says - Rugged - I do recommend a tiny bit of purple Loc-Tite on the windage screws, once the sight is properly adjusted.

dnp0g6.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

42 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

That was one of the nicest ones I've seen, bet he was happy to get it back.

someday I'll own one.

He was.

They're cool.  You're really not missing all that much tho.  

3 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

I like the Hogue Tamer grips...

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-k-l-n-x-z-frame-round-butt-rubber-conversion-monogrip-black

They will fit on any K, L, N or X round butt frame. Softer, energy absorbing rubber where they interface with the web of the hand.

Here are mine on a 625-8 PC (no longer available in yellow). Also, if you look carefully, that is a Bowen rear sight. Uses the stock front hole as well as the D&T'd hole in the frame. Windage is adjusted by loosening one screw and tightening the opposite one. As the name says - Rugged - I do recommend a tiny bit of purple Loc-Tite on the windage screws, once the sight is properly adjusted.

dnp0g6.jpg

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Funny, I thought you were a fan of Big Butts.
Did you get my email?  

On 2/11/2019 at 8:47 PM, Bully said:

Funny, I thought you were a fan of Big Butts.
Did you get my email?  

That is one of my IDPA guns. Big Butts are prohibited in IDPA and the six shot revolvers aren't competitive in USPSA.

For USPSA, with the relatively light recoil of the .38 Super, I supplanted my Big Butts with these...

2duw574.jpg

I got your e-mail about holsters - was there another, or did I miss something?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

That is one of my IDPA guns. Big Butts are prohibited in IDPA and the six shot revolvers aren't competitive in USPSA.

For USPSA, with the relatively light recoil of the .38 Super, I supplanted my Big Butts for these...

2duw574.jpg

I got your e-mail about holsters - was there another, or did I miss something?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Those are lovely. Details?

No, you didn’t miss anything. I’m just checking that you received. 

2 hours ago, alec.mc said:

Word.

Proper trigger job, federal primers, Bowen rear sights, fiber front, hogue big butts, tk/hogue cylinder release, chamfered Chambers. Lots of practice. 

www.4wheelguns.com for belt rig 

Thanks Bubba.

I didn't know you shot revolvers...

So, as of right now, I have coming:

WC spring kit

Miculek spring kit

Hi-Viz FO front sight

TK Customs extended cylinder release

I will bob the hammer and stone the trigger bits just a little. Should burn up a few hours this weekend. 

58 minutes ago, Bully said:

So, as of right now, I have coming:

WC spring kit

Miculek spring kit

Hi-Viz FO front sight

TK Customs extended cylinder release

I will bob the hammer and stone the trigger bits just a little. Should burn up a few hours this weekend. 

IMO, the Miculek MAIN SPRING is superior to both the wilson and wolff springs

My go to is the Miculek Main spring, with a Wolff 11 lb rebound spring ( sometimes I'll throw a 12 lb in ) Though, since you have a few kits coming you can utlize those rebound springs, some say to cut a few coils off to reduce the weight, I prefer to reduce the O.D of the spring on a belt sander to lighten the weight. 

Be careful with what parts you touch when stoning, you can screw up a gun real quick, i've probably done a few dozen trigger jobs at this point so feel free to touch base if you have questions. 

2 hours ago, alec.mc said:

IMO, the Miculek MAIN SPRING is superior to both the wilson and wolff springs

My go to is the Miculek Main spring, with a Wolff 11 lb rebound spring ( sometimes I'll throw a 12 lb in ) Though, since you have a few kits coming you can utlize those rebound springs, some say to cut a few coils off to reduce the weight, I prefer to reduce the O.D of the spring on a belt sander to lighten the weight. 

Be careful with what parts you touch when stoning, you can screw up a gun real quick, i've probably done a few dozen trigger jobs at this point so feel free to touch base if you have questions. 

Thank you.

I will take you up on that.  I appreciate the tip on the springs.  

I'm just de-burring for right now.  No shaping or hard stoning.  Just making it better.  But I do understand that once metal is gone it's difficult to put back.  

As for the hammer, even tho you didn't mention it, I'm just taking it down to the frame.  I've seen some pretty radical stuff out there.  I just want to avoid getting hit with the spur.  Not so interested in getting the lightest pull imaginable.  
I have about 5000 Federal primers.  So, about 5 years worth (the way I shoot handguns).  So that's good.  

@alec.mc Any other holsters for newb's beyond the Speed Beez offerings?  No one seems to make a Kydex OWB holster beyond them.  

50 minutes ago, Bully said:

Thank you.

I will take you up on that.  I appreciate the tip on the springs.  

I'm just de-burring for right now.  No shaping or hard stoning.  Just making it better.  But I do understand that once metal is gone it's difficult to put back.  

As for the hammer, even tho you didn't mention it, I'm just taking it down to the frame.  I've seen some pretty radical stuff out there.  I just want to avoid getting hit with the spur.  Not so interested in getting the lightest pull imaginable.  
I have about 5000 Federal primers.  So, about 5 years worth (the way I shoot handguns).  So that's good.  

@alec.mc Any other holsters for newb's beyond the Speed Beez offerings?  No one seems to make a Kydex OWB holster beyond them.  

L always recommend a double alpha race master with N frame block, it will go and fit any size barrel you throw at it and you don't have to worry. Though, this isn't legal for IDPA, if IDPA is your main focus go with a blade tech.

With the hammer in place, and side plate on , mark the outline on the frame with a sharpie and you'll have a line to work to when dremeling out the bulk. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, alec.mc said:

L always recommend a double alpha race master with N frame block, it will go and fit any size barrel you throw at it and you don't have to worry. Though, this isn't legal for IDPA, if IDPA is your main focus go with a blade tech.

With the hammer in place, and side plate on , mark the outline on the frame with a sharpie and you'll have a line to work to when dremeling out the bulk. 

Thanks for the holster recommendations.

As to the hammer chop, I just did my SP101.  I'm a master Dremel jockey.

If you decide to go with a speed-type holster, Double Alpha makes one call the Racer that runs about $60 less than the Race Master. The difference being that the Race Master has interchangeable innards to adapt it o a bunch of different guns. The Racer is made for a specific model - in your case the N-frame S&W and it will fit any N-frame regardless of barrel length. Alec also competes with some L and K frame guns, so the Race Mater makes more sense for him.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

If you decide to go with a speed-type holster, Double Alpha makes one call the Racer that runs about $60 less than the Race Master. The difference being that the Race Master has interchangeable innards to adapt it o a bunch of different guns. The Racer is made for a specific model - in your case the N-frame S&W and it will fit any N-frame regardless of barrel length. Alec also competes with some L and K frame guns, so the Race Mater makes more sense for him.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thank you sir. 

Mom trying to stay away from the AA holsters. They’re cool but I’d prefer to have something a little more “practical “

If that's the route you go and upgrade to a microdot like the deltapoint, cmore rts, etc etc. Go with the allchin mount, its the lowest one on the market. Get rid of that factory smith one , the sight is like 4 inches off the top of the gun. cray cray

steel-challenge-open-627.jpg

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, alec.mc said:

If that's the route you go and upgrade to a microdot like the deltapoint, cmore rts, etc etc. Go with the allchin mount, its the lowest one on the market. Get rid of that factory smith one , the sight is like 4 inches off the top of the gun. cray cray

steel-challenge-open-627.jpg

As stated, I know it's not ideal.  I just want to see if I like shooting with a dot.  I will look at the micro dots and mounts if it's something I really like.  I have this stuff kicking around.  I figured "Why not?" you know?