Bully

To the Competitive Wheelgunners

2 hours ago, Bully said:

As stated, I know it's not ideal.  I just want to see if I like shooting with a dot.  I will look at the micro dots and mounts if it's something I really like.  I have this stuff kicking around.  I figured "Why not?" you know?

I hear you.

Also, as a complete side note - people who say they don't like shooting dots because it's too difficult to find the reticle, see it, or whatever - are probably shooting cheap low quality dots. 

If you do one day decide to go with a dot, spend the money and you'll be happy you did.

AM

18 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

I hear you.

Also, as a complete side note - people who say they don't like shooting dots because it's too difficult to find the reticle, see it, or whatever - are probably shooting cheap low quality dots. 

If you do one day decide to go with a dot, spend the money and you'll be happy you did.

AM

I'm totally on board with that.  If I go that direction I'll most likely grab a Vortex.  Unless you have another suggestion.  I would, however, like to stay away from the Triji.  That's just a bit too high budget for a play toy for me.  

Side note:
The TK Custom release is pretty long.  I think I kind of don't like it.  Should I try to push thru until it makes more sense to my muscle memory OR should I look into ditching it and grabbing something from Revolver Supply?  
And yes, I understand ergos are 100% subjective.  I'd love your input on this because if the Revolver Supply piece is complete garbage or the TK is just soooooo much more worth it, I know you'll know.  

23 minutes ago, Bully said:

I'm totally on board with that.  If I go that direction I'll most likely grab a Vortex.  Unless you have another suggestion.  I would, however, like to stay away from the Triji.  That's just a bit too high budget for a play toy for me.  

Side note:
The TK Custom release is pretty long.  I think I kind of don't like it.  Should I try to push thru until it makes more sense to my muscle memory OR should I look into ditching it and grabbing something from Revolver Supply?  
And yes, I understand ergos are 100% subjective.  I'd love your input on this because if the Revolver Supply piece is complete garbage or the TK is just soooooo much more worth it, I know you'll know.  

Myself, and about 90% of the other revolver shooters I know all prefer the Hogue SHORT cylinder release, it's shorter than the TK , which i would consider a medium length, and Hogue also makes a LONG.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-short-cylinder-release-stainless-steel

The hogue doesnt come checkered from the factory like the TK does, though it's easily fixed with a checkering file and about 5 minutes of your time if that's important to you. ( i checker all mine ) 

The ones at revolver supply are actually made by Dave Parker, a revolver shooter in Mass. , I've personally never used one but I know some people who do like them, I do believe he makes an IDPA friendly one, as the hogue extended cylinder release is not. 

1 hour ago, alec.mc said:

Myself, and about 90% of the other revolver shooters I know all prefer the Hogue SHORT cylinder release, it's shorter than the TK , which i would consider a medium length, and Hogue also makes a LONG.

https://www.hogueinc.com/s-w-short-cylinder-release-stainless-steel

The hogue doesnt come checkered from the factory like the TK does, though it's easily fixed with a checkering file and about 5 minutes of your time if that's important to you. ( i checker all mine ) 

The ones at revolver supply are actually made by Dave Parker, a revolver shooter in Mass. , I've personally never used one but I know some people who do like them, I do believe he makes an IDPA friendly one, as the hogue extended cylinder release is not. 

Thank you sir. 

I may put mine up for sale and grab the Revo Supply one. 

I like the thought of it being a bit more “practical “ than the other offerings. I also don’t mind the factory, I just want to add a bit of insurance against a complete miss. 

Is the shorter one IDPA legal as well or only the mid-length?

So, the dot is off.  If I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna do it correctly.

TK Release is staying for the time being.  Can't seem to find anyone interested and as I work on my grip, I'm finding it more comfortable to use.

Hammer has been chopped.

Springs are in and the inner works are smoothed out a bit.  Gun feels immeasurably better all around.  

Next step is to hit the range, maybe tomorrow.  I'll make sure the sights are on and work on holding the gun properly.  I know I'm not.  I've been on YouTube a bit and am starting to grasp (again) how to properly hold a handgun.  It really is a perishable skill.  

30 minutes ago, alec.mc said:

#revo_alec_training_reasonable_rates_fo_sho

:facepalm::rofl:

So, five minutes after my last post someone grabbed my TK Release.  I found out that the Revolver Supply piece is polymer and I'm not in love with that.  Is there anything out there similar to the Revolver Supply part that is made of metal or am I looking at dead ends?    

51 minutes ago, Bully said:

:facepalm::rofl:

So, five minutes after my last post someone grabbed my TK Release.  I found out that the Revolver Supply piece is polymer and I'm not in love with that.  Is there anything out there similar to the Revolver Supply part that is made of metal or am I looking at dead ends?    

Dead end.

I think the revo supply ones are made from black delrin. it's sturdy stuff.

See if you can get a hold of the Hogue Short.

1 hour ago, alec.mc said:

Dead end.

I think the revo supply ones are made from black delrin. it's sturdy stuff.

See if you can get a hold of the Hogue Short.

Good deal. 

I'll stay stock for a moment.  It seems to work ok for me.  I'll wait and see if I get any good at it first, or if something shows up on the used market.  Thanks again for everything.  

Took it to the range today.  Shot a quick 60 rounds for function.  Good thing I brought a screwdriver.

Turned the strain screw back in so now it's 3/4 turn out.  Got good function with all reloads.  I also came home and replaced the rebound spring with one a pound heavier.  Even in dryfire, I can feel the difference but it still feels much, much smoother and all around better.  

I'm going to the eye doc a week from today, on the 25th.  I'm potentially going to go with progressives.  Hopefully I can see the front sight shortly thereafter.  
If anyone shoots with progressives and has any tips, I'd really appreciate them.  I'm nervous as all get out about getting them.  But honestly if they don't work, I'm going to grab a dot.  

Thanks a bunch.  

1 hour ago, Bully said:

I'm going to the eye doc a week from today, on the 25th.  I'm potentially going to go with progressives.  Hopefully I can see the front sight shortly thereafter.  
If anyone shoots with progressives and has any tips, I'd really appreciate them.  I'm nervous as all get out about getting them.  But honestly if they don't work, I'm going to grab a dot.  

If you are going to normally wear progressives, by all means learn to shoot in them.

But for competition purposes, I'd suggest single-vision lenses tuned to focus on the distance where your front sight sits.   I've taken a slide in (best not to do it with the whole revolver!) and had lens selection done while  holding it up at arms length to get a really sharp focus at that distance.   Then have the glasses built to safety glass specs, and tinted if you wish.     

I'd be very hesitant to compete with progressive lenses, because it gives you one more thing to line up...no longer just front sight in the rear sight (and secondarily, lined up on the target), but you'd also have to line up with the right section of your progressive lens.  Too complicated for my skill set!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

I'd be very hesitant to compete with progressive lenses, because it gives you one more thing to line up...no longer just front sight in the rear sight (and secondarily, lined up on the target), but you'd also have to line up with the right section of your progressive lens.  To complicated for my skill set!

Kinda what I've thought.  

I would for sure try and figure out a way to bring in some kind of mock up pistol.  Even an airsoft if necessary.  But I want to be able to shoot and actually see some stuff.  

With your lens setup this way, is it difficult to find targets?  Say from 10-25 yards?

Thanks for your help.

29 minutes ago, Bully said:

Kinda what I've thought.  

I would for sure try and figure out a way to bring in some kind of mock up pistol.  Even an airsoft if necessary.  But I want to be able to shoot and actually see some stuff.  

With your lens setup this way, is it difficult to find targets?  Say from 10-25 yards?

Thanks for your help.

Well, my lenses mostly correct astigmatism (I also brought in a dot sight, and the Doc was able to make the 'comet' I see uncorrected into a beautiful spherical dot.  My correction for distance doesn't amount to much (not yet, but I'm not getting any younger), so when my sights are sharp, the targets in the distance are still pretty good--no issue finding them.   

• Like 1