carl_g

Body Cam on Discovery Channel

Have you guys seen this show? I caught 2 episodes the other night and it was pretty crazy. The one episode shows this guy dressed in fatigues and body armor with an AK ask someone to call 911 and tell the cops he is waiting for them. When they show up he starts shooting and steals there police car while driving he shoots multiple officers. Over the radio the order is to use deadly force if necessary. He finally dies when the cop following him shoots his AR thru his own windshield and wounds the perp. Then they unload on him in the gas station. The other story is when some guy comes out of a trailer with his arms all bloody holding a meat cleaver and rushes cops... he gets shot too. but as soon as he is shot and down the cops administer first aid and he ends up living.

Check it out especially if you are the type that fantasizes about shooting home invaders without a weapon light or if you want to see how fast shit really goes down in real life.

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Check it out especially if you are the type that fantasizes about shooting home invaders without a weapon light or if you want to see how fast shit really goes down in real life.

So, a weapon light improves your accuracy in a adrenaline rush situation? Wow, they're pretty amazing!

Can they also make you breakfast?

2 hours ago, carl_g said:

Ray I looked it up on the FIOS and it looks like it’s on tonight @ 10pm on Discovery.

FYI,

This show isn't on the normal Discovery channel, it's on the Investigation Discovery channel. Those are two different animals.

10 PM tonight on Discovery is American Chopper.

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

So, a weapon light improves your accuracy in a adrenaline rush situation? Wow, they're pretty amazing!

Can they also make you breakfast?

It improves your accuracy by allowing you to see your target if there is no or little light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

It improves your accuracy by allowing you to see your target if there is no or little light.

What if there is already enough light to see the target, what else does it provide, besides giving up your tactical advantage by letting the bad guy know you're coming at him, from the other side of the house, with 500 lumens of illumination?

Nothing like giving a bad guy notice and pre-warning.

12 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What if there is already enough light to see the target, what else does it provide, besides giving up your tactical advantage by letting the bad guy know you're coming at him, from the other side of the house, with 500 lumens of illumination?

Try aiming your gun while staring into a 500 lumen light. The bad guy is at a disadvantage if he's in front of the light and you're behind it.

• Agree 5

1 hour ago, Sniper said:

49 minutes ago, Mr.Stu said:

Try aiming your gun while staring into a 500 lumen light. The bad guy is at a disadvantage if he's in front of the light and you're behind it.

See at @Mr.Stu's  post.  You tried that lately?

Most of us are not gifted with the ability to see in the dark.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mr.Stu said:

A few issues with that is, first, the bad guy might not be carrying a gun, but possibly a knife or nothing. If he took the effort to break in, they're no reason why he wouldn't rush at you, as soon as he saw you.

Second, how's the bad guy to know the light you're shining at him is a WL or just a handheld flashlight? It certainly lets him know exactly where you are, not much of a deterrent.

Third, he doesn't know the layout of my house, I do. Why give up tactical advantage by announcing you're coming down the hall with a floodlight turned on?

33 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Most of us are not gifted with the ability to see in the dark.

True, but I CAN see in low light, so that's not an issue.

Waking up in the middle of the night and flipping on a 500 lumen WL will blind both of you.

3 minutes ago, Sniper said:

A few issues with that is, first, the bad guy might not be carrying a gun, but possibly a knife or nothing. If he took the effort to break in, they're no reason why he wouldn't rush at you, as soon as he saw you.

If he is or isn't armed is much more easily determined if you can see clearly and more light is better for that. If it's low light, but sufficient for you to see, it's also sufficient for him to see. If you prefer, you can search for him with the light off but turn it on when you want to confront him.

Second, how's the bad guy to know the light you're shining at him is a WL or just a handheld flashlight? It certainly lets him know exactly where you are, not much of a deterrent.

The WL is not a deterent. In low light he will probably not see that you have a gun either - still no deterrent. The deterrent would be you giving him clear commands to get out of your house. Besides, he broke into your house in this scenario - simple deterrents (like a locked door) appear to be insufficient.

Third, he doesn't know the layout of my house, I do. Why give up tactical advantage by announcing you're coming down the hall with a floodlight turned on?

Again, you do not need to have the light on the whole time.

Waking up in the middle of the night and flipping on a 500 lumen WL will blind both of you.

It is much more blinding to have it shine in your eyes than reflect off your surroundings. If a WML is pointing in your own eyes, you are really doing it wrong ;)

Lastly, you need to have a really good reason to go looking for an intruder in your house. The best action is to get to a defensible position and call the cops.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Sniper said:

See @Mr.Stu's response.

You may be gifted with superior low light vision but you can't see in the dark.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You may be gifted with superior low light vision but you can't see in the dark.

My house isn't dark at night.

2 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

Flash blindness occurs at 60lumens. This is your most powerful weapon upon initial interaction

So is lead, at 1100 ft per second.

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

Why bring up you can see in low light then? How bright are your lights at night?

Because I can, I have low level wattage lights on in the areas that I need them. It's called pre-planning and being prepared. Plus, I've also practiced getting around my house with my eyes totally shut, simulating total darkness, and know my way around. How about you?

8 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

You still can't see in the dark and guess what, the bad guy may turn off your lights.

Yes, everyone knows "tweakers" looking for a quick score, will go around and turn off all the lights so they can do their business in total darkness. All tweakers wear night vision goggles and can see in complete darkness, right?

Do you even read what you type?

8 hours ago, Sniper said:

Plus, I've also practiced getting around my house with my eyes totally shut, simulating total darkness, and know my way around. How about you?

You have to be kidding. Please tell me this is tongue in cheek. This is almost as silly as the “Trench Knife in one hand and 1911 in the other” for home defense argument we had a few years ago here “It worked in the trenches in WWI, it will work in my house”. :facepalm:

The WML is not for navigating your home. It is not to prevent you from stubbing your toe. It is not meant to let an intruder know you are armed. It is not a deterrent in and of itself. It is not a less lethal tool meant to give the intruder the old razor dazzle and make them see sparkles.

The WML is for target acquisition and threat identification. There are times in daylight/full value light conditions where you would still need a WML to identify a threat in a structure. Regardless of ambient light, you still often need more. 

Your vision is the limiting factor in being able to target discriminate. The better you can see, the faster you can act - You can’t shoot what you can’t see.

The WML can be said to make you more accurate in low light.

• It lets you keep both hands on your pistol in your normal shooting grip - I don’t know about you, but I am more accurate with two hands on the gun.

• It lets you see what you want to hit so you can apply the “Aim small, miss small” principal of marksmanship. Big difference between aiming at a shadow of an entire silhouette vs aiming at a button on a jacket.

• Being able to see in the dark is an enormous force multiplier that allows you to calm down a bit - it may not put ice water in your veins,  it it will help keep your heart rate and adrenaline at a more manageable level when fighting in low-light conditions.

• Being able to see your threat builds confidence that what you are seeing is appropriate to point a gun at or shoot. This speeds up your reaction and calms the nerves knowing your actions are justified.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

You have to be kidding. Please tell me this is tongue in cheek. This is almost as silly as the “Trench Knife in one hand and 1911 in the other” for home defense argument we had a few years ago here “It worked in the trenches in WWI, it will work in my house”. :facepalm:

The WML is not for navigating your home. It is not to prevent you from stubbing your toe. It is not meant to let an intruder know you are armed. It is not a deterrent in and of itself. It is not a less lethal tool meant to give the intruder the old razor dazzle and make them see sparkles.

The WML is for target acquisition and threat identification. There are times in daylight/full value light conditions where you would still need a WML to identify a threat in a structure. Regardless of ambient light, you still often need more. 

Your vision is the limiting factor in being able to target discriminate. The better you can see, the faster you can act - You can’t shoot what you can’t see.

The WML can be said to make you more accurate in low light.

• It lets you keep both hands on your pistol in your normal shooting grip - I don’t know about you, but I am more accurate with two hands on the gun.

• It lets you see what you want to hit so you can apply the “Aim small, miss small” principal of marksmanship. Big difference between aiming at a shadow of an entire silhouette vs aiming at a button on a jacket.

• Being able to see in the dark is an enormous force multiplier that allows you to calm down a bit - it may not put ice water in your veins,  it it will hall keep your heart rate and adrenaline more management than fighting in the dark.

• Being able to see your threat builds confidence that what you are seeing is appropriate to point a gun at or shoot. This speeds up your reaction and calms the nerves knowing your actions are justified.

well stated, end thread here

• Agree 2