carl_g

Body Cam on Discovery Channel

1 hour ago, myhatinthering said:

well stated, end thread here

Thanks! I did forget to add:

I have anywhere from 500 to 1500 lumen light on my rifles, and 500 to 1000 lumen lights on my handguns. I have cleared countless homes, fields, backyards, and structures with them.

They have always given me an advantage, and have never left me behind the curve. I have never been “blinded” :rolleyes: by a reflection of my light and I have never not had an appropriate reaction when pointing my WML at anyone.

There are no negatives to a WML.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I have anywhere from 500 to 1500 lumen light on my rifles, and 500 to 1000 lumen lights on my handguns. I have cleared countless homes, fields, backyards, and structures with them.

They have always given me an advantage, and have never left me behind the curve. 

Here's the point your missing. Very few people here are LEO's, and have ZERO need to clear other homes, fields, backyards and structures. You're being clouded by what you do in your profession. In YOUR case, and in your job, where you're entering strange buildings looking for friend or foe, a WL makes 150% sense.

In our cases, we're getting up in the middle of the night because we hear a perp breaking into OUR house, where we know the layout and structure, and know for 100% accuracy, that dude shouldn't be there, and is a foe.

In that case, there's also zero need to light the guy up with a WL to know if that perp has black or blond hair, if he's wearing Nike's or Reeboks or is wearing a Trump t-shirt. He's NOT suppose to be in our house at 2 AM. PERIOD.

All we need to know/see is where he is, and deal with the threat appropriately. We set up our home defenses/weapons to react appropriately to that type of situation. For some, a WL may be their choice. For others, having a tactical advantage may be their choice. There is no right or wrong answer, there's too many variables in everyone's personal situation and set-up.

Unfortunately, the Absolutism on display here, along with the herd and pack mentality, is very troubling, considering many making judgement have ZERO understanding of certain individuals planning, preparation and other details of their personal situation, and would rather have the Liberal "My way or the highway" opinion.

4 hours ago, Sniper said:

In that case, there's also zero need to light the guy up with a WL to know if that perp has black or blond hair, if he's wearing Nike's or Reeboks or is wearing a Trump t-shirt. He's NOT suppose to be in our house at 2 AM. PERIOD.

You are dangerous

• Agree 2

I like these types of shows @carl_g

Its real world actual, factual stuff. 

Same reason I rely heavily for advice on guys that actually do this for a living.

Not theories from mall ninjas .

I truly wish this stuff was more mainstream, this is the public, this is America. These people and scenarios are real.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Sniper said:

"everyone", like all 400 people who come here every day?

Absolutely. When it comes to protecting my family, there's only one choice.

Not getting one out of 400 to agree with you should tell you something.

I'm sure @Ray Ray didn't mean it that way.  The other 398 people probably understand what Ray was saying.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Sniper said:

Here's the point your missing. Very few people here are LEO's, and have ZERO need to clear other homes, fields, backyards and structures. You're being clouded by what you do in your profession. In YOUR case, and in your job, where you're entering strange buildings looking for friend or foe, a WL makes 150% sense.

In our cases, we're getting up in the middle of the night because we hear a perp breaking into OUR house, where we know the layout and structure, and know for 100% accuracy, that dude shouldn't be there, and is a foe.

All we need to know/see is where he is, and deal with the threat appropriately. We set up our home defenses/weapons to react appropriately to that type of situation. For some, a WL may be their choice. For others, having a tactical advantage may be their choice. There is no right or wrong answer, there's too many variables in everyone's personal situation and set-up.

Unfortunately, the Absolutism on display here, along with the herd and pack mentality, is very troubling, considering many making judgement have ZERO understanding of certain individuals planning, preparation and other details of their personal situation, and would rather have the Liberal "My way or the highway" opinion.

I'm all about the 9th man but in this case, he'd agree with the hive.

I don't think anyone would ever, ever suggest that more light is not ideal.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

I don't think anyone would ever, ever suggest that more light is not ideal.

MORE light or ENOUGH light. Sure more light could be better, but if there's enough existing light, do you really need to light everything up like a football field, which could give away any tactical advantage.

Why were night vision goggles invented, if you could just turn on every spotlight you have, and light up the battlefield? More light is better, right?

1 hour ago, GRIZ said:

Not getting one out of 400 to agree with you should tell you something.

Maybe the other 399 aren't willing to voice an opinion, when see the LACK of tolerance for different opinions. Funny, the guys who are the most 2A supporters, are the LEAST supportive of different opinions, ie: NON 1A supporters...  Interesting on how that happens, specially when those same guys no nothing about a individual situation.

8 minutes ago, Sniper said:

MORE light or ENOUGH light. Sure more light could be better, but if there's enough existing light, do you really need to light everything up like a football field, which could give away any tactical advantage.

Why were night vision goggles invented, if you could just turn on every spotlight you have, and light up the battlefield? More light is better, right?

Maybe the other 399 aren't willing to voice an opinion, when see the LACK of tolerance for different opinions. Funny, the guys who are the most 2A supporters, are the LEAST supportive of different opinions, ie: NON 1A supporters...  Interesting on how that happens, specially when those same guys no nothing about a individual situation.

you are not giving up tactical advantage.  research flash blindness and you will see that the more light you use, the better off you are given the darkness and in this regard, there is zero debate.  As for the assumption OF any kind of tactical advantage, that just wreaks of one bad thinking process here.  If a perp is in your house, you want them gone, shooting is the last resort.  In fact, if you are upstairs and you hear them downstairs, make noise as there is a high degree of likelihood they will flee.  shooting someone is not like in the movies, coming upon someone in your home is not like in the movies and having a face to face with someone in high stress encounter is not like what the weekend warrior classes show you.

make noise, have lots of light, cover, 'kill zone/engagement zone' etc all important.  did I mention light?

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Zeke said:

I like these types of shows @carl_g

Its real world actual, factual stuff. 

Same reason I rely heavily for advice on guys that actually do this for a living.

Not theories from mall ninjas .

I truly wish this stuff was more mainstream, this is the public, this is America. These people and scenarios are real.

Yeah @Zeke I hope there are more episodes. It may not be 100% but its pretty close. It makes you have more respect for the guys in blue who are constantly putting themselves in danger trying to help people.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, carl_g said:

Yeah @Zeke I hope there are more episodes. It may not be 100% but its pretty close. It makes you have more respect for the guys in blue who are constantly putting themselves in danger trying to help people.

Concur.

but it also reinforces the moral, criminal,diversity of “ the public “

3 hours ago, Sniper said:

You certainly have gone to the wrong school of military tactics.

NVGs are useful in the offensive so you can see the enemy without giving away your position or in the defense so you can observe the enemy without them knowing you're doing so.

If your in the defense yes you do call the artillery and have them fire illumination.  The attackers already know where you are.  Can't use spotlights the enemy can shoot out.  No way for the enemy to put out the lights when the arty is firing illumination.

Ah!!! The 1A!!! You realize the COTUS is to protect you from the government not other citizens?  You, me, or anyone else on this forum gave no 1A Right to what we post.  Just as you, me, or anyone else has any rights when we're on some one else's property.

Get your facts straight.

3 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

As for the assumption OF any kind of tactical advantage, that just wreaks of one bad thinking process here.

Trying to gain tactical advantage over an intruder that breaks into your house is "bad thinking process"?

Wow, there are no words...

Speaking on assumption:

If a perp is in your house, you want them gone, shooting is the last resort.  In fact, if you are upstairs and you hear them downstairs, make noise as there is a high degree of likelihood they will flee. 

So, if I make some noise and he will flee? Really??

You mean after he triggers my motion lights, sees my video surveillance cameras, smashes and breaks into my house, triggers the audible alarm on entry, deals with a barking dog, then all I need to do is make some noise upstairs, and he'll flee?

Or, just shine a bright light on him and he'll run?

Wow, there are no words....

shooting someone is not like in the movies, coming upon someone in your home is not like in the movies and having a face to face with someone in high stress encounter is not like what the weekend warrior classes show you. 

So, after all that, I guess you want me to put on a pot of coffee, have the intruder sit down at my kitchen table, and we can discuss over cupcakes why he decided to break into my house, because there's no way, after he went through all the defenses I listed, he has any interest in harming or robbing us, right? Just my drunk neighbor entering the wrong house accidentally, right?

Why the hell did I spend thousands on firearms to protect my family, when I just could plan on having a beer summit with a home invader at 2 AM in the morning. Damn.....

I'll make sure I have plenty of bright flashlights, to make sure he doesn't trip on any stairs. Wouldn't want him to get hurt that early in the morning.

33 minutes ago, Sniper said:

Trying to gain tactical advantage over an intruder that breaks into your house is "bad thinking process"?

Wow, there are no words...

Speaking on assumption:

So, if I make some noise and he will flee? Really??

You mean after he triggers my motion lights, sees my video surveillance cameras, smashes and breaks into my house, triggers the audible alarm on entry, deals with a barking dog, then all I need to do is make some noise upstairs, and he'll flee?

Or, just shine a bright light on him and he'll run?

Wow, there are no words....

So, after all that, I guess you want me to put on a pot of coffee, have the intruder sit down at my kitchen table, and we can discuss over cupcakes why he decided to break into my house, because there's no way, after he went through all the defenses I listed, he has any interest in harming or robbing us, right? Just my drunk neighbor entering the wrong house accidentally, right?

Why the hell did I spend thousands on firearms to protect my family, when I just could plan on having a beer summit with a home invader at 2 AM in the morning. Damn.....

I'll make sure I have plenty of bright flashlights, to make sure he doesn't trip on any stairs. Wouldn't want him to get hurt that early in the morning.

I get it, you're just jerking our chain.  lol... u got us here.  here I thought you were this out of touch and clueless and the whole time u were playing us....touche

22 hours ago, Sniper said:

Speak for yourself. I want to know that I am not shooting my kid who decided to come home from college early, my other kid who decided that his girlfriend should "sneak in", or my dumbass drunk neighbor.

Absolutism. Works. Both. Ways.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, myhatinthering said:

I get it, you're just jerking our chain.  lol... u got us here.  here I thought you were this out of touch and clueless and the whole time u were playing us....touche

Damn, you figured it out. I was just trying to punk you guys, but you saw through it. And it isn't even April Fool's Day.

Of course I have a weapon light on my AR-15 that I use to sweep and clear my house. Who doesn't?

Here's my set-up. What do you think? Is it good enough to light up the bad guys? Do I need stronger lights?

latest?cb=20120406093313

4 hours ago, djg0770 said:

Speak for yourself. I want to know that I am not shooting my kid who decided to come home from college early, my other kid who decided that his girlfriend should "sneak in", or my dumbass drunk neighbor.

Absolutism. Works. Both. Ways.

target identification is paramount.  Why would anyone ever want to take the chance otherwise.  Let's not forget, you pull that trigger and the consequences are life changing whether you are right or wrong, your life changes.  Now the level of change is dependent upon several factors one of which is did you actually shoot a perp or a drunk kid coming home from the bar