M4BGRINGO

Any coin collectors on here?

Numismatics. I plan on keeping the precious metals for now due to the low prices, not worth selling at this point. But, if you are willing to spend $25 an ounce for silver, I'll sell it!  :)  Silver market has been dead flat for years, so it's coming with me.

34 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

I'm looking for any junk/90% silver.  Peace dollars, Morgans, dimes, etc etc. 

If you want to go a step above junk, I have some duplicate 5 oz ATB parks, about 50 oz total.   

2 hours ago, Maksim said:

If you want to go a step above junk, I have some duplicate 5 oz ATB parks, about 50 oz total.   

I have a bit of gold and silver.  To me, it's just gold and silver.  I could never understand why some coins were worth more than others when they had the same purity.  I have one silver coin that supposedly worth over $1,000.00, but, if the shtf, I wont be running into numismatists. Seriously, I don't know why they even bother minting fancy coins.  They should just be struck in a particular weight with a provable purity.

Spot silver today is about $15/oz.   Back in 2011 it was selling at $48/oz.  Timing (and documented purity) is everything.

• Agree 1

T collectors certain coins are worth a LOT of money! Try to put together a complete collection of Morgan Silver Dollars for example. Yeah, if you look at their silver content, they aren't even worth $15 a piece (90% silver). Now try to get a COMPLETE set of them, especially in higher grades............... You want to sell my some high grade Morgans from 1893 thru 1895 cheap, feel free to let me know! :) I know what I paid for mine!

As Avalancne stated, yes, but date, mintmark and condition is key. Just type in the data and mintmark in a Google search and you can find a rough value, or go to a local store that sells coin magazines like Barnes and Noble.

No old commemoratives, no paper either. If you want to see a cool collection though go to the PNC Bank on Main Street in South River. They have a nice collection hanging on the wall.

I primarily collected US silver, Morgans, Peace, Walkers, Standing Libertys, etc....

On 3/5/2019 at 10:23 PM, M4BGRINGO said:

As Avalancne stated, yes, but date, mintmark and condition is key. Just type in the data and mintmark in a Google search and you can find a rough value, or go to a local store that sells coin magazines like Barnes and Noble.

Google will make your head spin, condition is everything and unless its slabbed and graded you are guessing at the grade,  If you can make nice with a local coin shop. Dont say you want to sell, just ask if its worth anything as you want to leave it to your kids etc. that way you take the motivation away that they will low ball you or try to get you to sell.

yea, I caught wind of it right around coin #2's issuing.  I generally buy things I like and find interesting, rather than stuff that people are all about "investing" in. That's not to say I wouldn't grab some investment grade stuff if it was worth it.