M4BGRINGO

Selling guns outside of NJ

I have a buddy in Florida that wants some of my guns. Can I ship from NJ to the FFL of his choice in Florida, provided that his FFL will accept the guns from a non-FFL? I know not all FFL's will accept guns from private individuals. I know from buying guns via Gunbroker that many came from private individuals and not from an FFL in the sellers state. But this being NJ and the ever-changing bullshit laws, just asking here. I can call the NJSP, but we all know what you will get different answers calling on the same damn day!

Receiving guns from non-FFLs isn’t the problem... not getting a copy of the sender’s identification for recording in their A&D book is. If an FFL will not accept from individuals, it’s because they don’t want to deal with the hassle anymore.

Back when Paul from NJ Arms was my main FFL, I’d do my transfers through him. I would always tell non-FFLs, shipping directly to him, to put in a copy of their license so he could log it in. More times than not... people did not include it. Tied him up, having to wait on the information. I couldn’t pick the gun up, because it wasn’t logged in, and had to wait for the seller to forward him his identification. Then, what happens if you can’t get ahold of the sender? You have a gun that you can’t log in...

Per the GCA, that firearm must be put into the book by the end of the next business day. Might not seem like a big deal to most people, but that isn’t something the ATF would be too keen on if they decided to stop by and audit their book.

In my A&D book, I have a whooping three acquisitions. It is a lot easier to just put in another FFL’s info (two of mine were from the same FFL-03), as you put their name and license number in. It isn’t that much harder to put a name and address in, being I actually was physically present with the seller, and jotted down his info off his license... but I can see why some dealers just say screw it.

I've only run into a few non-FFL sellers that did not include their info. Rather than chase them down, I just enter the name and address from the shipping box. ATF is okay with this. If that is not acceptable to me (third party sender), then I'll ask the receiving party from whom they acquired it. They should have that info.

21 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

thought we couldn't use usps to send firearms any longer?  I could be wrong though, been a while as I use fedex currently

If nobody knows nothing then do as you wish

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

thought we couldn't use usps to send firearms any longer?  I could be wrong though, been a while as I use fedex currently

Long guns can go any shipper... just need to follow their guidelines (if you want any chance of insurance). USPS did have a short time where they wanted Express Mail (next day), but think Priority is ok. Priority shipping is A LOT more cost effective than Next Day. I’m not 100% familiar with UPS and FedEx policy (being I can’t receive guns yet... I’ll brush up on it when I move), but think you can send them Ground. Definitely check beforehand.

Let’s say you are going hunting somewhere... you can ship a long gun to yourself, with a location where you are going being in “care of.” As long as there is no change of ownership and no issue with state laws... you are good to go.

Handguns is where only dealers can ship USPS (not even FFL-03s can ship handguns USPS). For a non-licensee... those would need to go UPS or FedEx (which I believe policy of both say Next Day... which gets pricey).

4 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Long guns can go any shipper... just need to follow their guidelines (if you want any chance of insurance). USPS did have a short time where they wanted Express Mail (next day), but think Priority is ok. Priority shipping is A LOT more cost effective than Next Day. I’m not 100% familiar with UPS and FedEx policy (being I can’t receive guns yet... I’ll brush up on it when I move), but think you can send them Ground. Definitely check beforehand.

Let’s say you are going hunting somewhere... you can ship a long gun to yourself, with a location where you are going being in “care of.” As long as there is no change of ownership and no issue with state laws... you are good to go.

Handguns is where only dealers can ship USPS (not even FFL-03s can ship handguns USPS). For a non-licensee... those would need to go UPS or FedEx (which I believe policy of both say Next Day... which gets pricey).

thank you,

It’s really the only option without going to a FFL-01, and having them ship USPS...

Policy of both of them are Next Day, unless you go Ray Ray’s route and keep it quiet (I don’t suggest that, mainly due to insurance). But to be honest, I have got return labels from manufacturers that were 2nd Day.

You can easily find firearms policy for both UPS and FedEx online.

22 minutes ago, Screwball said:

But if someone does, you then get to go to “Federal ‘pound me in the ass’ prison!” Just remember, there are no conjugal visits. :imsohappy:

Loose lips sink ships Samir

• Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • FacePalm 1