Maksim

Bismuth Knives - Check it out.

Well that was a gigantic waste of fkn time.  Bismuth is a metal with a low melting temp but is actually very brittle.  The Knife was very thick - unlike an actual kitchen knife... so he sharpened it and it was able to cut a "cucumber" in half... big whoop.  2/3 of the video was playing with the bismuth crystal colors that come out at different temps.  He went through a few sanding grits to get an edge bevel but I wouldn't call it super "sharp" - and it wouldn't withstand much more use than just that.

I'd rather watch an actual smith make up a pattern welded steel blade into a kitchen knife.  Oh wait - I do all the time.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Well that was a gigantic waste of fkn time.  Bismuth is a metal with a low melting temp but is actually very brittle.  The Knife was very thick - unlike an actual kitchen knife... so he sharpened it and it was able to cut a "cucumber" in half... big whoop.  2/3 of the video was playing with the bismuth crystal colors that come out at different temps.  He went through a few sanding grits to get an edge bevel but I wouldn't call it super "sharp" - and it wouldn't withstand much more use than just that.

I'd rather watch an actual smith make up a pattern welded steel blade into a kitchen knife.  Oh wait - I do all the time.  

I never knew you could be so Savage

On 2/14/2019 at 5:33 PM, Krdshrk said:

Then I really suggest you don't watch the guys other videos. They are basically making non-knife things into knives. Usually into sub par knives that aren't worth being made, but hey it's youtube.